Scangauge 2 for NCV3 idiots

borabora

I'd lIke to have a permanent display of my 2016 2500 2.1l Sprinter on-the-road vitals. I have a Bluetooth scanner but don't want to overload my phone which I use for a bunch things already while driving. So, I'll add a Scangauge 2 with a right-angle adapter soon and mount it permanently on the dash.

For my vehicle what would be the most important 4 pieces of data to display and what would be healthy/normal ranges once the engine is warmed up? How do people have their Scangauge configured for normal driving? Also, what would be your secondary display with less vital but interesting info -- for example MPG is nice to know but hardly vital, same with DEF level, for example.

I did some basic searches but could not find a consolidated post on what people think is the most vital driving info that a Scangauge can supply. And maybe how people configure a secondary or tertiary display page.

Driving vitals:
1. Item <range>
2. Item <range>
3. Item <range>
4. Item <range>

Info 1:
1. Item <range>
2. Item <range>
3. Item <range>
4. Item <range>

Info 2 (?):
1. Item <range>
2. Item <range>
3. Item <range>
4. Item <range>

Many thanks to you Sprinter gurus for your insights!

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Fist you have to confirm what actually works as SG does have some errors in their programs.
I made a list what does on my 2015 2.1l engine
VLT coolant temperature
FIA-Intake Air Temperature
LOD load %
MPH
RPM
TPS-Throttle Position Sensor
FWT-coolant Temperature
TRG-Total Regens of DPF
FLV-Fuel Level (Gallons)
EUP Upstream of DPF
EUC-exhaust temp M
RTL-Reagent Tank Level (%)
EUC-Upstream of Catalytic Converter (°F)
DEF- Reagent Tank Level (%) -
TRG-Total Regens of DPF
DPF-Fill Level (%)
RGN-Regen Status (On/Off)
RGN OFF

Notice that some gauges show twice, or even 3 times under different codes.
From the list, the most common display I keep is
1 RGN
2 DPF
3 RTL
4 FWT
but I also scroll from time to time and for mountain driving put LOD as mpg gauge is not working with this ECU.
Nevada is having lot of flat lands who are not horizontal. To human eye the slope is not visible, but sometimes you wonder why is transmission shifting. Observing LOD or mpg when you have available will let you notice when you are climbing.

Last edited:

borabora

Thank you Kajtek1!
I can figure the meaning of most of these out but what is Reagent Tank Level and what % is good or normal?
Also, no transmission data?
Especially when going up passes I think ATF info might be nice. Not available or you think not too relevant?

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Reagent = DEF fluid
I did not program X-gauges for transmission as I did not consider it crucial and per my memory SG is giving you 30+ X-gauges for Sprinter.
But beware that some of those gauges are duplicates.
Having 2 brands & 3 diesel vehicles - programming optimal menu took lot of time as you have to enter long numbers manually and in time, or it will time out. I wish SG would allow programming via computer and add at least 4th letter to the description.
Lot of X-gauges had the same name for Ford and for MB, while 1 program would not read the other brand.
Have fun plying with it.

Mike DZ

2016 View 24V (2015 3500)
Previous testing and discussion on these forums shows that ATF temp will be fairly close to FWT.

However on the 3.0 V-6 there is an xgauge for TFT - specifically the transmission temp in F - perhaps there in 2.1 as well? See Scangauge web site for specifics.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
There are some other brands of scanners (UltraGauge, DashDaq, to name two from the past) that can display 6 (or more) things at once.
I have a ScanGauge, which i prefer over the others due to its buttons being on the front.
But i have it in a T1N, so life is simpler.

My usual displays: MPH, MPG, LOD, xxxx ... with xxx changing when i feel the need:
... currently it's VLT due to weakening battery.
In the past it's been MAP (watching my resonator crack), GPH, IAT (watching my IAT sensor die), and similar games.

--dick (ScanGauge 1 .. before they offered X-gauges)

pfflyer

There are some other brands of scanners (UltraGauge, DashDaq, to name two from the past) that can display 6 (or more) things at once.
I have a ScanGauge, which i prefer over the others due to its buttons being on the front.

My usual displays: MPH, MPG, LOD, xxxx ... with xxx changing when i feel the need:
In the past it's been MAP (watching my resonator crack), GPH, IAT (watching my IAT sensor die), and similar games.

I have the Ultra Gauge in the RV and SGII in the van and I agree SGII is better for the reason you stated and I cant get UG to read proper MPG. The SG I am within a couple tenths of actual gallons to fill up(which I would expect) but maybe up to 1MPG difference in the MB dash MPG calculations. Last week I bought another SGII so that I could get a recent version so that I could do X-gauges and wouldn't you know it it has version 4.13 and I think you need at least 4.2 to do all the X-gauges. I sent both back yesterday to get the most recent firmware. They are doing the newest one for free. If you bought one in the last year and can prove it they will upgrade to the latest for free. UG is going in the Spyder or the truck.

Back to the OP. The 2 I watch the most are real time MPG and the average MPG. Always try to keep the real over the average when I can. I have LOD and MAP as the other 2 but I am going change when I get my SGIIs updated. I would like to keep track of regens so that I don't interrupt one if I can. I may leave LOD as the 4th or find something else in the X-gauges.

Good luck.

borabora

Thank you -- what is the actual meaning of LOD (load)? Is it engine output or something more specific?

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Thank you -- what is the actual meaning of LOD (load)? Is it engine output or something more specific?
It is % of max HP the engine takes at given rpm.
That can be confusing at first as starting AC at idle will give it >50% load, but than bear in mind that at idle the engine has only few HP output.
But the display can be helpful in mountain driving or towing as it will help you predict shifting or even override the computer shifting if you see steep grade in front, that computer has no way of seeing.
Did not play with Sprinter much yet, but in my equipment hauling years, I drove heavy rig at 60 mph. That when taking 1/2 mile grade would require downshifting. When I acted earlier and speed up to 65 mph, the truck would take the grade without downshifting.
That suppose not only save fuel, but prolongs transmission life.

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
As Kajtek wrote, it's "percent load" .. but that readout differs between a gasoline and diesel engine.
In a diesel, the LOD is calculated from fuel useage ... it's (roughly) the amount of fuel you're burning at the current RPM and temperature compared to what you *could* be burning. (cruising a flat road at 60 mph takes less fuel than climbing a hill at 60 mph ... in both cases the engine RPMs are the same (if you're in the same gear)).

In the T1N, if you monitor MPG and LOD, you'll see the MPG improve if you downshift when the LOD exceeds 70% or so. There was a certain spot in my commute that doing the manual down-shift would increase MPG from 14 to 19.

My SG doesn't offer "average MPG", only instantaneous ... i use it as a *relative* gauge, not absolute (although it seems pretty close). Once i did the "tell it about fills" i noted the Percentage value that was generating ... and stopped bothering with the "tell it" cycles ... i just put that number (54%, i think) back in if i ever do something weird with the SG.

--dick

D

Deleted member 50714

I am interested monitoring only EUP and LOD. EUP or Exhaust Temperature Upstream of DPF will indicate when regenerations are occurring so I can reset my trip "A" ODO. LOD for same reasons previously posted.

borabora

So, I am thinking of the following:
Display 1:
FWT -- coolant temp
EUP - exhaust temp
MAP -- manifold pressure
LOD -- engine load

Display 2:
DPF -- Def level
MPG -- mileage
VLT -- voltage
RGN - regeneration on/off

Are my codes correct and would this make sense as a
1. Everything is normal
2. Added less dynamic information

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
The crucial for those engines is avoiding regeneration abortion.
So soot level and regeneration status are always on top of my list.
If you drive a lot, you can develop routine and know the mileage between regeneration.
Since I drive my Sprinter only from time to time, I need current data to observe.

showkey

Display 1:
FWT -- coolant temp
EUP - exhaust temp
MAP -- manifold pressure
LOD -- engine load

Display 2:
DPF -- Def level
MPG -- mileage
VLT -- voltage

Are my codes correct and would this make sense as a
1. Everything is normal
2. Added less dynamic information
MAP and LOD are very similar in what values are telling the user. About 36 on the MAP is full boost. Boost is not a four letter word ( is in a bad thing) .......boost makes the turbo diesel power, mpg and efficiency.
Drop one and add voltage has some merit.

I agree with the other posts where Avg MPG Is more trouble than it’s worth. When the fuel gauge is half empty (or half full) you have used 10 gallons and when the fuel light turns on You used 20 gallon ( almost can set your watch on it) trip odometer and 10 gallons quick calculation gives better indication than the SG. If you forget one fill up reset on the SG or the off set setting is off the SG MPG is way off.

Exhaust temp and regen on off will also give the same info with exhaust temp Reading all the time relates back to load and boost. Regen on off is not available or reliable on all years.

Last edited:

borabora

The crucial for those engines is avoiding regeneration abortion.
So soot level and regeneration status are always on top of my list.
If you drive a lot, you can develop routine and know the mileage between regeneration.
Since I drive my Sprinter only from time to time, I need current data to observe.
I understand. But RGN will tell me if regeneration is going on, right?
And EUP is a telltale as well for regeneration?
I drive mostly long-distance 300+ miles a day but not always freeway. On my trips to Alaska there are long times going anywhere from 45 to 65 mph. Regeneration will still happen during such driving, I assume.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Amazingly my sedan with 2.1 engine has ECO stops, who will stop the engine at red lights and such.
I observed regeneration pending on it in city driving and the program would still shut off the engine at lights with regeneration still pending.
I understand that that makes regeneration time longer, so now when I see it, I turn the ECO off.
Not much experience with Sprinter yet, but my sedan will complete regeneration in 10 miles of city driving.

D

Deleted member 50714

I understand. But RGN will tell me if regeneration is going on, right?
And EUP is a telltale as well for regeneration?
I drive mostly long-distance 300+ miles a day but not always freeway. On my trips to Alaska there are long times going anywhere from 45 to 65 mph. Regeneration will still happen during such driving, I assume.
EUP regeneration temp is about 1,100 degrees Fahrenheit. Normal about 550 degrees Fahrenheit.

Avoid interrupting a DPF regenerations.

I could not get the REN on-off feature to work.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Display 1:
FWT -- coolant temp
EUP - exhaust temp
MAP -- manifold pressure
LOD -- engine load

Display 2:
DPF -- Def level
MPG -- mileage
VLT -- voltage
How are you getting two displays on your SG11 and how do you switch between them?

I'm pretty certain my SG11 only has one display mode.

Keith.

pfflyer

How are you getting two displays on your SG11 and how do you switch between them?

Keith.
That would be great if you could. Maybe the latest firmware has that option. My UG has that feature but the buttons are on the back making it difficult to change on the go.

borabora

Keith.
I am not. I don't actually own it yet. Just doing my homework. I assumed that multiple screens was a feature but if it isn't that's not a show stopper to me. Why I am belaboring the 4 most vital pieces of data to display.

Top Bottom