Dash lights

mcguyver

I am having in going issues with ABS ESP and SRS LIGHTS.
Tthe ABS and ESP lights are intermittent and can usually be cleared by switching ignition off and on again.

just recently the SRS light has come in and stays on.
Last week I took it to my usual mechanic who cleans the faults but they have returned. he wasn’t able to offer any insight into the cause.

i have no idea where to start to try and fix the issue. Any help or ideas would be very much appreciated.
6A48C79E-05B9-478C-AB1D-F3072EF9B951.jpeg

Hi
I can't specifically give you any info about your model of vehicle but I have had experience with other models of cars with the same symptoms. In those cases it was caused by a faulty ABS module which triggers multiple warning systems. Might be something to look at.
Tim

jaahn

Hi :)
The usual answer is to plug into the OBD port with a scanner that will read the codes and it will tell you some information that will help you to find the problem. Not a magic wand but at least you will be "talking' to the ECU that is putting the light on. What model do you have.
Some diesel mechanics have expensive Bosch scanners that may read them as well as the Mercedes systems.
Jaahn

autostaretx

Erratic Member
SRS is the air bag system ... you could be having wiring damage going on somewhere (rodents or mechanical abrasion)

--dick

One thing to keep in mind is that all of the control units talk to each other. So ABS, SRS, ESP, ECU share information. When you said mcguyver that the mechanic checked the codes and cleared them but wasn't able to offer any insight as to what was happening it could be due to the warning lights being activated without logging meaningful codes needed to make a proper diagnosis. If for instance a CAN fault in the abs unit shows up it can trigger seemingly unrelated warning lights in other control units within the car.

jaahn

One thing to keep in mind is that all of the control units talk to each other. So ABS, SRS, ESP, ECU share information. When you said mcguyver that the mechanic checked the codes and cleared them but wasn't able to offer any insight as to what was happening it could be due to the warning lights being activated without logging meaningful codes needed to make a proper diagnosis. If for instance a CAN fault in the abs unit shows up it can trigger seemingly unrelated warning lights in other control units within the car.
I do not know what model this is but more likely that the mechanics scanner was not able to read the Mercedes information correctly. This is common on the early models over here as just having a connecting cable that fits does not mean you get to the information. You need a Star system clone or an expensive quality professional scanner.
Jaahn

Rory

I had a very similar problem with ABS, ESP and traction warning lights and it was a loose earth connection for the ABS below the LH headlight. It was an intermittent problem and several other modules are earthed at this common point.

Top Bottom