'HI' oil light- can you drain a bit of oil out the bottom?

My oil level is too high. I've seen forum posts on here about people draining a bit of oil, but they either did it out the dipstick slot, or don't explain how they did it. If I take off the oil pan bolt off, is it possible to just let some oil drain out then get the bolt back in to stop it? or would I have to let it all out?

DRTDEVL

Yes. Do it cold, so you don't burn yourself with 200* oil, though.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Well yes you can but the best of luck getting the plug back in while your precious oil is gushing out! Just think, one slip, drop the plug and all the oil is out!

My preferred method would be to obtain a fairly large medical syringe and a length of washer tubing then suck the oil out through the dipstick tube. No mess and no risk of dumping the whole lot.

Keith.

BrennWagon

He’s just this guy, you know?
If you have a vacuum brake bleeder, that’s an easy way to remove oil from the engine through the dipstick tube. If you don’t have one, now’s a great time to pick one up, they’re incredibly handy

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder
I agree with potential disaster, not to mention mess.

Unless your oil level is climbing because of fuel dilution, there is no urgency on draining for a slightly overfilled sump. The sensor is pretty sensitive and alarms at the slightest overfill.

I'm pretty certain Harbor Freight will have an inexpensive oil suck option. Don't panic. Remove the oil the least risky and messy way.

:2cents: vic

trc.rhubarb

If you have a vacuum brake bleeder, that’s an easy way to remove oil from the engine through the dipstick tube. If you don’t have one, now’s a great time to pick one up, they’re incredibly handy
Another vote for the vacuum pump/bleeder/mityvac. I use the heck out of mine to test things like the turbo actuator, the brake booster, drain things like the old fluid from master cylinders and of course, bleeding brakes/clutches. It's a great tool for $40

CJPJ

2008 3500 170"ext. 3.0 V6 OM642.993
The only time I got a high oil level light, was the one time that I let the Dealer do the first A service, I got the High Oil light driving home on the Highway. Got home and drained out a tea cup amount of oil from the drain plug.

Mike DZ

2016 View 24V (2015 3500)
Not on a Sprinter, but I have done the "just drain a little bit" from the oil pan with good results.

The tip to do it while cold helps and resting the heel of your hand on the pan and just barely moving the bolt out of the hole is useful to getting it back in rapidly. Also having a fairly large pan to capture all the spatter is good.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
If you're going to be changing your oil for a few years, many people have replaced the bottom drain plug with a valve.
(i forget the common brand, i think it starts with an "F").
It replaces the existing plug, and gives you a little flip-handle to play with.
"Flip" and the oil comes out of a short pipe that's part of the valve.
"Flip" and it stops.
Much neater than the original (and no need to replace the washer every time)
Available with, and without, a little latch that helps prevent accidental flippage.

--dick

trc.rhubarb

If you're going to be changing your oil for a few years, many people have replaced the bottom drain plug with a valve.
(i forget the common brand, i think it starts with an "F").
It replaces the existing plug, and gives you a little flip-handle to play with.
"Flip" and the oil comes out of a short pipe that's part of the valve.
"Flip" and it stops.
Much neater than the original (and no need to replace the washer every time)
Available with, and without, a little latch that helps prevent accidental flippage.

--dick
Fumoto - just can't get myself to trust those but they seem to work great.

jrod5150

Easiest fix is a container placed under the van after the engine sits overnight, a pair of disposable gloves and a 13mm wrench. Surprised at all the posts regarding a mess :rolleyes:

Top Bottom