how is there not a snorkel available yet

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Sprinter has air inlet over 4 ft above the ground, when looks to me it will float with about 2 ft of water.
Meaning you'll be way on your way to Hawaii before you flood the engine.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
You should pose this question to the manufacturers who currently make them for the older van model.

Last edited:

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Sprinter has air inlet over 4 ft above the ground, when looks to me it will float with about 2 ft of water.
Meaning you'll be way on your way to Hawaii before you flood the engine.
Must be happy hour..... :whistle:

....that said, most snorkels are used for trail dust.

surferJ

Where there is a will...
And like Orion says the original purpose is dust not water. For me it was also the better engine performance from improved breathing. C2DBC834-28E8-4ACB-BAB8-CA76A3601204.jpeg

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
For trail dust, shouldn't the snorkel face the rear?
When most of factory air inlets do have shielding on front, what will kick heavier dust from entering, typical snorkel sucks it right in.
Also the colder air is closer to the ground. Higher you go, warmer it is, although probably with negligible differences.
Than what kind of dust we are talking about? My Ford Truck had HD air filter, where manufacturer claimed it will eat 2.6lb of dust before call for replacement. Filter had a gauge on it from the factory.
Than the linked article says the snorkels have systems separating rain water from going into the engine. I can't see it in any design, although would not mind to be proven that the good designs exist.
There is lot of snake oil on the roads.

Last edited:

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
BTW, few years ago I watched a movie on TV, where 1 of the off-road enthusiast (I think he did it partially for bussines) took older, open roof Jeep and fitted 12' snorkel to it.
He actually drove via 10 ft deep water and scuba-divers made some pictures.
But older Jeeps did not have much electronics and fluids were easier to change.

D

Deleted member 50714

BTW, few years ago I watched a movie on TV, where 1 of the off-road enthusiast (I think he did it partially for bussines) took older, open roof Jeep and fitted 12' snorkel to it.
He actually drove via 10 ft deep water and scuba-divers made some pictures.
But older Jeeps did not have much electronics and fluids were easier to change.
Time to change der brake fluid!!! Good part starts at 15:40.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Reminds me scuba diving in Polish lakes.
We had 2 levels of water cleanest.
1 when we could see our hands water was clean
2. when we could see our feet - water was very clean.

In case somebody wants to do it in Sprinter- remember to keep windows and rear door open.

Last edited:

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.
Time to change der brake fluid!!! Good part starts at 15:40.
We might say:
We set sail on this new sea because there is new knowledge to be gained, and new rights to be won, and they must be won and used for the progress of all people. For space science Jeep modification, like nuclear science and all technology, has no conscience of its own. Whether it will become a force for good or ill depends on man, and only if the United States occupies a position of pre-eminence can we help decide whether this new ocean will be a sea of peace or a new terrifying theater of war. I do not say that we should or will go unprotected against the hostile misuse of space Jeeps any more than we go unprotected against the hostile use of land or sea, but I do say that space ponds can be explored and mastered in Jeeps without feeding the fires of war, without repeating the mistakes that man has made in extending his writ around this globe of ours.

There is no strife, no prejudice, no national conflict in outer space our pond as yet. Its hazards are hostile to us all. Its conquest deserves the best of all mankind, and its opportunity for peaceful cooperation may never come again. But why, some say, the Moon pond? Why choose this as our goal? And they may well ask, why climb the highest mountain? Why, 35 years ago, fly the Atlantic? Why does Rice play Texas? [Why do people convert commercial Sprinter vans into campers?]

We choose to go to the Moon bottom of the pond. We choose to go to the Moon bottom of the pond...We choose to go to the Moon bottom of the pond in this decade Jeep and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard; because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one we intend to win, and the others, too.
Apologies to President Kennedy if they are needed...

T town

For trail dust, shouldn't the snorkel face the rear?
When most of factory air inlets do have shielding on front, what will kick heavier dust from entering, typical snorkel sucks it right in.
Also the colder air is closer to the ground. Higher you go, warmer it is, although probably with negligible differences.
Than what kind of dust we are talking about? My Ford Truck had HD air filter, where manufacturer claimed it will eat 2.6lb of dust before call for replacement. Filter had a gauge on it from the factory.
Than the linked article says the snorkels have systems separating rain water from going into the engine. I can't see it in any design, although would not mind to be proven that the good designs exist.
There is lot of snake oil on the roads.
This is debated but yes, in my opinion, it should face rearward. The idea you are getting any ram air effect is a little suspect. It would take courage to show up with a backwards snorkel and risk all the people at the trail making fun of you though. So there’s that.

45Kevin

I'm not sure I want to be in water any deeper than the floor of my van.
I'll be poking holes in it for drains from the shower and sink, and probably a fuel line and exhaust for the furnace.

I won't even join the debate about cleaner air on the trail or for deep water.

What I thought would look cool, and maybe give a ram air effect, would be to build a scoop for the passenger side air inlet on the hood.
It probably could be done a a 3D printer.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
You guys should notice that cabin air inlet is connected to both hood inlets.
Meaning if you scoop air on 1 side, the excess will escape on driver side.
That beside the fact that front of the van builds pretty high pressure without additional scoop.

Top Bottom