How Often Does Your T1N Break Down?

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
What is the year of your van and how many miles are on it?
2002 190000
How long have you owned it?
18 years
How many times has it broken down on you (i.e. stopped running while driving so you weren't able to drive it back home to repair it)?
Zero. But not counting stopped running/coasting into the driveway. And like ECU, repaired a lot of stuff. Just go to the T1N Write-ups and "filter" by "Started By" with my user name to get a partial listing (much more under already established threads) of what I have done on the van over the years. There is always been the fear that if I break down, there are few options as there are few places to take these rare machines.

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
9 years and 90000km now at 450k. Has never stopped on a trip, but twice refused to start after a quick stop.

Both times it was cam sensors. Didnt leave me stranded - 1st time it started after cooling down, 2nd time I carried a spare and was back on the road in 10mins.

Only other issue was the HP fuel pump started leaking at about 410k. It still ran just a small leak. Plenty of warning as the cranking just started taking slightly longer and longer before firing. Tightended bolts fixed that.

I reckon thats a pretty good track record. Especially for a vehicle with that many k's. Most vehicles would be on the scrapheap at half that mikeage.

Last edited:

Jody

2006 311 cdi
Bought with 55,555 miles on it in 2009
now at 160,000
Broke down once. Wouldn't start, turned out to be fuel filter. needed recovery.
Went wrong once, could get gears, I crawled underneath, stuffed it in 3rd and drove home. New gear linkage cables and all was good.

marklg

2006, bought at 80k milles three years ago, 120k miles now.
Did general maintenance, Oil changes, filters.
Multiple Limp Home Mode Issues, but never left me stranded, only going slow. Replaced all Charge Air hoses, resonator and O rings to solve the issues.
Serpentine belt wore out, replaced belt, tensioner and pulleys. Caught it before it went, so did not leave me stranded.
Harmonic balancer went. Made noise for hundreds of miles, had to get it replaced away from home, so cost more than if I had done it myself, wasn't stranded, but had to get work done away from home at higher cost.
Glow plugs replaced, live in warm climate so that did not leave me stranded either.
Differential bearings started to fail, made noise, did not leave me stranded, but had to delay a trip to get it fixed.
Replaced brakes, turned out to be more difficult and take more time than planned.
Had two tires fail recently. Caused significant delays.

Bottom line, never left me completely stranded and only had to get a tow for one tire as the previous owner did not leave the short lug bolts needed for the spare. Delayed multiple times, but pretty much all issues provided a warning before failing.

Regards,

Mark

tinman

2005 with about 100k miles, motorhome, bought 8 years ago with about 20k miles. One brief LHM, self induced when an intake air temp sensor that I'd damaged a couple of years earlier let go and popped out of its hole. Easy temporary fix. Maintenance is DIY and I try to replace stuff before it breaks. I carry a DAD, some tools and spares, but the vehicle has been exceptionally reliable on trips up to three months, some rough roads, and many good adventures. The knowledge base on the forum is a confidence builder.

JoeyB

I bought a 2004 with 186k on it. I've put about 4k on it so far. It has never left me stranded, it did start randomly shutting down when pulling up to stop signs or parking. After 15-30 mins it always started back up. I read the codes, narrowed it down to likely being the Crankshaft sensor, took about 30 mins to replace myself and I haven't had any big issues.

Lojack72

'02 DIY adventure van, 300K miles (210K by me)
Bought a '02 in 2010 from the second owner with 80K on it- 230K now.

Left beside the road only twice- threw the harmonic balancer at 100K (believe an AC shop retorqued the bolt rather than replacing) and idler pulley bearing locked up throwing the main belt about 50K miles ago. First required a tow, second I was within walking distance of an Autozone that surprisingly has the part I needed.

Fully agree helpful to be a shadetree wrench to diagnose minor problems, and ALWAYS have tools and key replacement parts (belt, fuel filter, etc.) with you on a long trip. Doing your own maintenance also prepares you for roadside repairs- like realizing the '02 doesn't self-prime the fuel filter in your driveway rather than on the road.

Has been a fantastic vehicle that's taken me, kids, and dogs all over the country and been a great quarantine escape vehicle lately. Wouldn't recommend an older one to someone without some basic mechanical skills, but can't see myself ever getting rid of it.

eagle2232

Most reliable,useful, fun-to-drive two-wheeled vehicle I've owned in nearly 60 years on the road, including a dozen other vans of lesser heritage.

My only on-the-road failure was a burst charge air hose on a high-temp, mid-summer mountain pass in BC. I stopped, re-started and continued on my way home. (only five more passes to go) I diagnosed the problem with my Ultraguage and made it home without issue. I never even got out of the driver's seat.

(vehicle not exactly as shown)
View attachment 148399
Hi Glasseye, I curious if you had to replace the "burst charge air hose", and if so, where this hose located at. Is this same as the "Turbocharger Inlet Hose" as it's called in 2006 Sprinter Service Manual? I recently had a similar experience in my 2006 T1N going up a long steep hill during a very hot day 106 degree F. Sudden power loss and limped up the hill, barely made it. My OBD reader showed a P0234 code "turbo overboost" condition. Like you, I stopped, re-started and continued on my way home---without further problems being no more hills to climb. I looked for any sketchy hoses that may have had air leaks, but none found--yet. Thanks in advance.

lonebikeroftheapocolypse

2002 T1N camper
I bought my 2002 Freightliner nine years ago with 340,000 miles on it for $5000. It was being used as a USPS contractor vehicle. Since then, it has been converted to a camper and had 45,000 miles added. I have replaced the battery. I have replaced the brakes. I have changed the oil. I have added Fuel. It has been as reliable as could be expected.

The first issue I have had with it has crept up recently: The turbo has started to occasionally go to limp mode. I know the turbo itself is operating well; it resets when the van is turned off and restarted. It also works fine when cruising at a constant speed. It shouldn't be too hard to remedy.

Overall, This van was well maintained for the first third of a million miles, and so far it is working well.

glasseye

I bought my 2002 Freightliner nine years ago with 340,000 miles on it for $5000. It was being used as a USPS contractor vehicle. Since then, it has been converted to a camper and had 45,000 miles added. I have replaced the battery. I have replaced the brakes. I have changed the oil. I have added Fuel. It has been as reliable as could be expected.

The first issue I have had with it has crept up recently: The turbo has started to occasionally go to limp mode. I know the turbo itself is operating well; it resets when the van is turned off and restarted. It also works fine when cruising at a constant speed. It shouldn't be too hard to remedy.

Overall, This van was well maintained for the first third of a million miles, and so far it is working well.
Classic underboost symptoms. To test this, invoke a very heavy load. Find a long, steep hill. Somewhere in the hoses between the turbo and the engine inlet, there's a leak. It might be difficult to see when it's not pressurized. I understand you can introduce smoke to track the problem. I've never done this.

glasseye

Hi Glasseye, I curious if you had to replace the "burst charge air hose", and if so, where this hose located at. Is this same as the "Turbocharger Inlet Hose" as it's called in 2006 Sprinter Service Manual? I recently had a similar experience in my 2006 T1N going up a long steep hill during a very hot day 106 degree F. Sudden power loss and limped up the hill, barely made it. My OBD reader showed a P0234 code "turbo overboost" condition. Like you, I stopped, re-started and continued on my way home---without further problems being no more hills to climb. I looked for any sketchy hoses that may have had air leaks, but none found--yet. Thanks in advance.
I did replace the entire "riser hose" from the intercooler output to the engine input. Available as a complete unit from SD parts, it's a two-hose part, joined by a plastic coupler thing. Easy to install. My burst hose was readily apparent, it failed right where the hose enters the engine, clearly visible when you open the hood.

I'm not sure if that code applies to both underboost and overboost. Others will know better than me. Your symptom sounds just like mine - lack of power on a hill in hot conditions. In any case, the leaky hose was easy to locate and replace. (see next post from lonebikeroftheapocalypse.

Common failure.

Top Bottom