Strange 4x4 or transmission issue

Mathewst

Hi guys,

strange issue happened to me today in middle of Norway..
Small snowy patch, reverse, everything turned on even rear diff lock and full gas little tire slip and car stopped moving, no tire spin anymore, release gas pedal reapply and same thing, forward it worked well. Almost like if there is parking system turned on, but surely it was deactivated.

Any ideas?
At least it forced me to google how to enter wrokshop menu for full esp deactivation (inginition position 1, go to trip, odometer, hit back button for 1.5s, while holding it press touch button near to it, go to dynamometer test)

Check video to see it..

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
Hi, probably need to turn off the ESP traction control.
Look for the Beach Sand thread here.

Mathewst

It does this when parking sensors are active and it thinks something is behind, It happened to me so many times I am sure I have turned it off this time :) as well only esp option is in central navigation, I have turned it off, but that crap doesnt do much if anything

Also i know how asr roughly works, it limits engine power to reduce tire slip, but here it revs and there is no tire spin at all, you can keep it reving forever

Mathewst

I havent yet, will maybe but its 99.9% not torque converter
Holding brake going front, back no issues

even there its extremely low traction environment tc hasor shoild have no issues spinning wheels on snow

Last edited:

Mathewst

I have tried it today and yes and no. Its ESP, when you turn it off rear wheels sping, no traction in front. Esp could use snow program, I will ask dealer about update, also asked oberaigner anout center diff lock.

Mathewst

Had to winch out in the end, i could randomly get consistent front wheel spin going forward but most car dug into the snow

Mathewst

Ok I got reply from iglhaut and as well oberaigner
iglhaut cannot do anything more than rear diff lock to factory 4x4 sprinter
oberaigner doesnt do anything to 907, probably they cannot bcs of deal with daimler, cos they are factory 4x4 supplier for them

So I guess I am stuck with performance you see in first post. Got chains though for rear tires pewag austro. Front tires cant get chains for me, problem is clerance of chain and 265 wide tire with suspension. But for front it even makes little sense, it barely move front tires in even of low traction when stationary so adding any drag to open diff with 35% split doesnt make sense.

Top Bottom