Red Interior Lighting?

Brad75

2013 NCV3
I have my lighting set up so that there’s 2 lights directly behind the front seats wired to their own switch next to the sliding door so I can operate it while I’m inside or outside of the van. Anyway, I use these lights a lot but I need something more discrete for when we’re around other people in a parking lot or something. I figure I could have 1-2 red lights next to them that we could leave on while we’re in an out of the van with the door open.

any decent lights come to mind?

Last edited:

Last edited:

Kevsuda

I used led tape lights from amazon. Around $10 and you can stick in behind, above or below things. I added a $10 remote dimmer as well. On it's lowest setting you can't tell there is light on from outside the van. On it's brightest you can read a paperback.

MTGJR1

Need red for Astronomy Star Parties. Although I haven't done my build yet, will be using trailer LED taillights lights like I do around my telescope now. Advantage with 2 brightness levels. Taillight only during gazing, add Stoplight when taking down.

borabora

Boating supply stores will carry high-quality red lights and often red/white switchable lights. Meant to lessen loss of night vision -- same as in astronomy. Bordello supply stores may carry more economical choices...;)

erik.wahlstrom

The lights Adventure Wagon uses has a red mode. I was a tad surprised when I accidentally pressed the button in correctly and everything turned red.

Brad75

2013 NCV3
Need red for Astronomy Star Parties. Although I haven't done my build yet, will be using trailer LED taillights lights like I do around my telescope now. Advantage with 2 brightness levels. Taillight only during gazing, add Stoplight when taking down.
Funny you mentioned star parties. That’s exactly what got me thinking. We were up high knob lookout in Sullivan County Pa watching the comet when one of the guys with pricey equipment made a comment about our light being on a bit to long ?

CactusJackSlade

This was my old Ford van... it had Florescent lighting, I changed to red/white LED's... cost only about $10 to do this project.

Aside from being easier on the eyes going in/out of the vehicle into darkness, it seemed to attract less bugs.

This was my second LED conversion - on this one I have "two" rows of white LED's (actually one continuous strip up one side, across, and down the other).

I would say this is the perfect balance. The one strip of red is plenty for night vision and two strips of white is not quite as bright as the florescents (which I thought were too bright anyway!) and about perfect for the "kitchen" area.

The most tedious and time consuming part of the whole deal is the soldering of the wires to the LED strips (in which I solder, then hot glue for support, then shrink tube over it)... the rest is super easy and quick. This one I did in about 1-1/2 hours from the time I pulled the light to finished back and installed.

Attachments

BigDC

The lights Adventure Wagon uses has a red mode. I was a tad surprised when I accidentally pressed the button in correctly and everything turned red.
adWag uses Lumicoin lights. They’re a German company and very nice. The ones they use have a switch/ dimmer integral to the fixture and I couldn’t find a way to have a remote dimmer work. A Double tap turns them red.

Brad75

2013 NCV3
adWag uses Lumicoin lights. They’re a German company and very nice. The ones they use have a switch/ dimmer integral to the fixture and I couldn’t find a way to have a remote dimmer work. A Double tap turns them red.
Are they touch operated or traditional wall mounted switch? I didn’t see anything mentioned on their website.

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.
Timing is everything... my AdWag kit from 2018 has Imtra (Hatteras) single-color LED lights. I asked about bi-color white/red lights, but they didn't have the option at that time.

Brad75

2013 NCV3
Timing is everything... my AdWag kit from 2018 has Imtra (Hatteras) single-color LED lights. I asked about bi-color white/red lights, but they didn't have the option at that time.
At least you didn’t by a 2013 Sprinter and then just when you decide to outfit it you realized that all the cool exterior aftermarket components are for 2014 and up...

TooMuchHair

Truckers have used red (some preferred blue) lights mounted down low to be able to see the interior without effecting their vision while driving. Plus they were cool, we called them "Sex Lights". Haha

BigDC

Are they touch operated or traditional wall mounted switch? I didn’t see anything mentioned on their website.
they have a small switch on the light itself. One tap turns on/off. A hold will dim up and down. A double tap changes color.

I also did a couple of their flexible snake reading lamps up in the bunk.

Mike DZ

2016 View 24V (2015 3500)
Nothing better than the old time light I used in B-52s.

Red and white, variable focus, dimmable, pulls from the mount for close up work.

However, I think they were 28 VDC.

1596297881655.png

Brad75

2013 NCV3
Nothing better than the old time light I used in B-52s.

Red and white, variable focus, dimmable, pulls from the mount for close up work.

However, I think they were 28 VDC.

View attachment 148518

aw man, We are absolute vintage industrial junkies!! a light like this would go great above our late 18th century cast iron hooks that we use to hang towels!! i just found this bunker light below but this 220v. no reason why i cant just rewire it ?

Mike DZ

2016 View 24V (2015 3500)
No reason not to rewire - just need to have the correct voltage bulb and compatible socket.

IPT

Man, I don't know if I have pics, but I saw the idea on Georges thread (I think....GA something). I ended up getting these https://www.ledsupply.com/leds/12v-led-light-nichia-757 (because I couldn't find exactly what he used). These are very small and I was able to fit them into the factory roof liner light housings! I got them pre-wired because it was only $1 more. They are pretty bright all things considered and I even added a dimmer. It's pretty slick. I think I just had to trim a tiny bit of plastic off and then I used a hot glue gun to mount them. Been fine now for 1.5 years (since I installed them).

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Military forces have been using low level red lights for night ops for decades. Aircraft, submarines, as well as ground troops.
Red light shows up way less than other colors, therefore making one much less of a target. They are also better for your night vision, and better for an operator transitioning quickly back to night vision equipment.

Low level red light is perfect for being discreet if one is urban camping, or camping anywhere imho.
And, if you have to get up in the middle of the night to “use the facility” a low level red light is much less likely to wake or annoy your wife or gf, and makes aiming easier.
Red puck lights can also be usefull at home...

bcman

My T1N's dome lights each have two festoon bulbs, with a 4-way switch that turns the main bulb on, off, or on with the doors open. 4th position is the 2nd bulb. I replaced the 2nd bulb in each housing with a red LED bulb, and it's perfect for all the reasons described above.

Top Bottom