Suggest a quiet water pump for galley?

Colorado_Al

I finally installed an electric pump for the galley and it is loud as hell! I didn't think to check the db ratings when I was shopping, just self priming and flow rates.
I need something quieter and really only need about 0.5 gpm. Can anyone suggest something to me?
Thanks!

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
Hi, what did you install, and on what material (incl. thickness) did you mount it?

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
I did not want water system pressurized full time. Did not want to risk emptying the fresh water tank inside the van from a leak. Only have cold water at the sink. So bought a 12 volt DC solar water pump that is turned on/off with a switch.

Pump is 1/4 the size and very quiet. Must be located below the water tank to be primed.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
You can get quiet water pumps if you have $600 burning hole in your pocket
But standard pump should not be that noisy. Did you bolt it properly on rubber bushings?
Used rubber connecting hoses?

borabora

Immersion pumps are quiet and cheap. And they also have the benefit of not keeping the system pressurized. But, best suited for systems with only one outlet.

canyoneer

2017 144 High Roof
I have this one under my sink and out at the rear shower. Not silent by any means, but better than most at this price.

But if you have the ability to just use a switched faucet, or are fine with turning on a switch everytime you need water, this pump is way quieter, and it is very fast, it pumps three gallons in less than a minute. Plus, this type leaves your system un-pressurized which is nice for peace of mind, like Dave mentioned above. I love this little pump and use it to fill my spare water tank when I don't have easy access to a hose fill.

Switched Faucet:

showkey

As mentioned mounting is critical.
Any air trapped in the pipes will significantly increase the noise and vibration.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Adding a pressure accumulator to your system is likely to dramatically reduce the noise.

SHURflo 182-200:
SHURflo 182-200 Pre-Pressurized Accumulator Tank,Black

sparkplug

I have a Whale foot pump.

Sure, it's not electric - but it only makes noise when there's no water in it and it sounds like a squeaky dog toy!

My hot water is provided by boiling a kettle in the morning and putting the contents into an insulated catering pump airpot.

It's about as basic a water 'system' as you can get but there's really not a lot to go wrong. I've got a spare foot pump which someone donated after stripping it out of an old caravan. That's really the only 'moving' part in the whole thing so I think I've got it covered.

sparkplug

When I was reading up about electric pumps the Whale did score highly. There were a few people who suggested carrying a spare in order to avoid losing water access in the event of failure.

I did briefly consider having a mixer tap and running an electric pump to the 'cold' and the manual foot pump to the 'hot' as a backup but there's so little to go wrong with the foot pump and when I was offered a spare FOC I abandoned the electric concept.

Jonnyfive

I do think a lot of this comes down to your installation practices in addition to the pump choice. In probable order of priority:

As Avanti noted already, install an accumulator.

Then, ensure flexible tubing only is connected to your pump - NO Pex tubing here. Manufacturers such as Shurflo sell these flexible tube kits as add-ons, marketing them as "silencer kits".

Reduce 90 degree elbow bends in your installation. These areas are where your water will surge and rattle the entire system most severely as flow is interrupted.

And of course, insulate your system so that rattling noise is minimized when it does happen.

Colorado_Al

I do think a lot of this comes down to your installation practices in addition to the pump choice. In probable order of priority:

As Avanti noted already, install an accumulator.

Then, ensure flexible tubing only is connected to your pump - NO Pex tubing here. Manufacturers such as Shurflo sell these flexible tube kits as add-ons, marketing them as "silencer kits".

Reduce 90 degree elbow bends in your installation. These areas are where your water will surge and rattle the entire system most severely as flow is interrupted.

And of course, insulate your system so that rattling noise is minimized when it does happen.
This is for a very simple system that does not require any of that. But thanks. Just need a quieter pump. Submersible pump looks like it will fit the bill, is inexpensive, and flow looks about right.

Jonnyfive

Perhaps, the simplistic nature of your system, is the source of your noise ;) ?

By completing any of the above suggestions, you are thus reducing the demands placed on your pump. If you can design a system that directs a smoother flow of water, your pump will not work as hard, and will be quieter by default.

Colorado_Al

Perhaps, the simplistic nature of your system, is the source of your noise ;) ?

By completing any of the above suggestions, you are thus reducing the demands placed on your pump. If you can design a system that directs a smoother flow of water, your pump will not work as hard, and will be quieter by default.
Nope. It's the pump. I bench tested it and it's 89db. Thanks anyhow.

Colorado_Al

KDenning

New pump arrived and is installed. Super quiet!
Bench tests at 45db. When in use, pump noise is inaudible over noise of water in the basin.
Thanks to canyoneer for the suggestion!
Pump I bought is:
Whale GP1002 Submersible Freshwater Pump, Standard 12V DC
10lpm
Thank you for following up on this and sharing. I've got this pump on order now. It will provide cold, fresh drinking water to a small, designated tap next to my faucet. Hopefully you've been happy with it since the purchase!

Colorado_Al

Thank you for following up on this and sharing. I've got this pump on order now. It will provide cold, fresh drinking water to a small, designated tap next to my faucet. Hopefully you've been happy with it since the purchase!
Pump is quiet and reliable. Flow rate is a bit excessive for an unregulated tap. I'm thinking of switching the tap to a low flow tap, but for now I just put a mug under the faucet and then use water from the cup.

Top Bottom