Sprinter or Transit?

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Sprinter:
Pro's- #vanlifers think you're cool and one of the "tribe"
- Lots of after market up fitters to select from.
- You will get to know where the dealership in your area is that will work on your van.
Con's-You will get to give that dealership a lot of money when they work on your van.
-You will learn what UREA is.
- You can get it with a 4 wheel drive (which is not really a 4 wheel drive) but #vanlifers will give you extra props.

Transit:
Pro's-You can just get gas anywhere.
-You can just get service anywhere.
-You can afford to get it serviced at a dealership.
-You will NOT care what UREA is.
-In 2020 you can get a twin turbo 6 cylinder gas engine, 10 speed transmission and true all wheel drive.
Con's- #vanlifers will not yet know how cool you are.
Transit:
Pro? Con?
  • And in 4-5 years, you get to do it all over again.....

Ulter

Hardy - Volta makes a 48V system for all sorts of applications including RVs. Winnebago has this Volta 48V system in many of their B-van models.
Thanks for mentioning Volta. I forgot about that package. So then it’s only Volta and HarryN. I don’t think there is another.

while I’m thinking about it has HarryN actually installed a 48V system in a van? My guess is he has not. Prove me wrong HarryN.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Thanks for mentioning Volta. I forgot about that package. So then it’s only Volta and HarryN. I don’t think there is another.
That's ridiculous. Lots and lots of 48V systems exist.
Just Google "RV 48V"

T town

mercedes I4 turbo gas = no UREA
Transit AWD is not 4wd.
similar equipped vehicles, the Sprinter initial cost was $6k less than the Transit, at least when I purchased mine.
I realize people feel that the Sprinter is 4WD but what makes it so? How is it at all different from Transit AWD?

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Transit:
Pro? Con?
  • And in 4-5 years, you get to do it all over again.....
Fortunately that was what I had to do. Had 2008 NCV3 Sprinter and sold it after 5 years and bought a 2015 Transit. One of my smarter decisions. Have had Transit for 5 years and so far no reliability issues. No need to repeat the 5 year cycle now.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Fortunately that was what I had to do. Had 2008 NCV3 Sprinter and sold it after 5 years and bought a 2015 Transit. One of my smarter decisions. Have had Transit for 5 years and so far no reliability issues. No need to repeat the 5 year cycle now.
You, and purposely, forgot to mention that.... :whistle:

...the next and current owner has had no issues to date.

Last edited:

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
You, and purposely, forgot to mention that....

...the next and current owner has had no issues to date.
Know about the next owner but have not had resent contact with the current owner.

Maybe I was just being nice to get all three major issues during my time of ownership.

Curious. What has been the reliability with the third owner? How did you make contact with him?

Last edited:

Wind

I realize people feel that the Sprinter is 4WD but what makes it so? How is it at all different from Transit AWD?
I’m not saying the sprinter is 4wd, I was just reiterating that the AWD Transit is not. FWIW QuadVan can put a real 4wd in the Transit but they don’t offer it for the Sprinter. Apparently Quigley doesn’t either anymore.

Polonus

Over the last few days I flip-flopped about what to do. I was sure I'll go with Transit, then I visited couple of Mercedes dealers and sow a beautiful Mercedes with 10 inches nav screen, then someone bought it. Later I test drove Mercedes and it remained me of old Żuk van I drove in Poland in the seventies. Every pothole, every rough surface rattled the body panels. I know, it would go away after putting insulation on it, but still... Then I went to Ford dealer and test drove a Transit with the EcoBoost engine - and... Wow! Suddenly I knew it will be my next van. That thing flies! And is solid as a brick, even when I drive it over rough RR crossing. I am ordering it this Tuesday.

Bottom line is that each will have their own pluses and minuses based on you individual needs and expectations. Oh, and the new 2019 I bought was $6000-$7000 cheaper than a similarly optioned transit.
??? Where did you get this number from? For me price is very similar. You cannot compare them exactly, since some options are available on one, not on the other, But I couldn't save anything going for the Sprinter.

search for mike marerro from Premier Auto of Dallas. he's the online sales guy. they're on ebay under https://www.ebay.com/usr/premierautosofdallas?_trksid=p2047675.l2559 I had a great experience buying from them fwiw and Mike met us in the parking lot and we drove off 30 mins later. they filled the fuel tank for us which was a nice touch.
Thx. I checked it out and he had one 170" for 42K and many 144's for about 38K, but those vans have almost no options. With no options I can have Sprinter with that wonderful EsoBoost engine for about the same money.

Transit AWD is not 4wd.
similar equipped vehicles, the Sprinter initial cost was $6k less than the Transit, at least when I purchased mine.
Mercedes turbo gas? Friends in Europe tell me it is a terrible motor and quite weak comparing to EcoBoost. And I'll go for a limited slip differential. With better tires and set of chains in the "garage" no need for AWD, or 4WD.

Wind

I just bought a new 2019 2wd 144 cargo. Paid 31,265 (Sticker $38780). The closest I could get on a similar Transit was $37000 (Sticker $38500). The Mercedes Dealer was much more willing to deal.
So far I’m very happy with the I4 turbo gas with 9 spd transmission and 4:18 rear end. (I’m old and don’t feel the need for the van to act like a roadster). 23mpg hwy and 19mpg in town. 5000lb towing capacity and 4400lb payload capacity. I haven’t hauled a heavy trailer up hill but the van cruises up a 8 degree grade with no issues/hesitation. No trouble passing trucks. I’ll admit I am very surprised at how well the motor is performing so far. It has all the power I need.

I will eventually put a locker on the rear end and carry chains or use studs in winter.

Last edited:

Offgridvan

I am about to order a van for a base to build a campervan. I was ready to go with Transit, until I configured it - when I added everything I want it came to a whooping 50K. Then I decided to check a Sprinter. To my surprise Mercedes with gas engine was less expensive (cheaper somehow does not belong to Mercedes brand). And now I have real dilemma. What to do?

Mercedes Sprinter Pros: Nicer cab, surroundings near driver and passenger seats, better views by the windows, price, navigation system, prestige.
Cons: Underpowered engine, expensive service, infrequent dealer network.

Ford Transit Pros: Powerful engine, Ford dealer in (almost) every town, every mechanic knows Fords, cheap maintenance, bigger fuel tank
Cons: Dashboard not as nice as Sprinter's, costs more to buy.

My configurations:

Ford: Model Cargo Van, XL, Transit 250, High Roof, 148", 3.5L EcoBoost V6 Engine, 10-Speed Automatic Overdrive with SelectShift® Auxiliary, Transmission Oil Cooler 3.31 Limited Slip Axle $41,855
Paint Blue Jeans $200
Exterior Upgrade Package - SRW $360
Running Boards – Extended Length $655
Extended Range Fuel Tank (31 gallons) $285
Exterior Lighting – Front Fog Lamps $105
Short Arm Power Adjusting, Manual-Folding Mirrors $0
16" Steel Wheels with Full Silver Wheel Cover $0
235/65R16C 121/119 R BSW All-Season Tires $0
Interior
Dark Palazzo Gray Cloth, 4-Way Manual Swivel Driver and 4-Way Manual Swivel Passenger Seats $1,385
Floor Covering – Front Carpet $35
Push Down Manual Parking Brake $195
Cruise Control with Adjustable Speed Limiting Device (ASLD) $325
Dual Alternator $845
Audio Pack #28: AM/FM Stereo with Bluetooth and HD SiriusXM®, Audio Input Jack, and 8" Colored Multi-Function Touch Screen with Navigation $1,220
Accessories Roof Rack System - Four Bars $415

Payment
Base MSRP $41,855
Total of Options $6,025
Destination Charges $1,695
Total MSRP $49,575

Mercedes: Vehicle 2020 Sprinter Cargo Van

Starting at $34,495
Length 144" Wheelbase $2,775
Height High Roof $0
Powertrain Gas Engine $0
Class 2500 (4420 lbs. Payload) $1,225 / $36
Exterior Color Steel Blue $0 / $0
Interior Color Caluma Black Upholstery $56
Other Charges Destination and Delivery $1,495
Build Subtotal $40,046
Selected Packages & Accessories Comfort Package (Seat addition) $368
Edit Selections Comfort Package $262
Chrome Grille Package $280
C02 in combination with C03 $656
Exterior Lighting Package $1,553
Premium Plus Package $2,126
Driver Convenience Package $994
Rain sensor $102
Parking Package $594
Mounting rails for roof rack $290
Illuminated front exits $146
AGM BATTERY 12V 92 Ah 850 A $98
Omission of D-Rings $-15
Overhead storage slot, front center $101
Packages & Accessories Subtotal $7,555
Build Total $47,601

Engine options. Transit:

3.5L EcoBoost® V6 Engine 310 hp @ 5,000 rpm Torque 400 ft.-lbs.@ 2,500 rpm
3.5L PFDi V6 Engine 275 hp @ 6,500 rpm Torque 262 ft.-lbs.@ 3,750 rpm
All Transits have now 10-speed AT

Mercedes Sprinter:
I-4 188 hp @ 5,000 rpm Torque 258 lb-ft @ 2,500–3,500 rpm
Gas engine comes with a 9-speed AT

I am not sure if destination charges for Sprinter are included and I don't know how much I have to add for a LED/HID lights for the Transit. Sprinter has only 22-24 gallons fuel tank, but it is possible to buy auxiliary second tank. Transit EcoBoost engine is about $1,500 option.

I am living in NC and planning to go, when retired in couple of years, for trips around the USA, West Coast, Utah, Alaska - several months a year, with my wife.

I wander what is your opinion about the choice? Which would you buy to build an RV and why?
Mercedes for me , I have 3 Mercedes vehicles all bought when at least 9 years old .
As they age they simply do not wear out.
I do my own servicing and repairs and I can see the quality of the design.
Yes they have occasionally made mistakes , single row timing chains, saying gearboxes are sealed for life ,
but overall I believe them to be the best.
I've just bought an old sprinter van converted to a camper because with covid I don't fancy staying in Hotels.
It's got 173,000 on the clock.
The engine uses no oil and the oil stays clean after a change.
We've concentrated on refitting the the camper , but not worrying about the mechanics because we know they won't go wrong.
My e220 CDI estate is my mates old company car , bought last year with 170,000 miles on it . I will keep it for another 15 years.
My advice is save your money, buy a 10 year old Mercedes based RV and update the camper fittings, repaint it ,
It will run just as well as a new one.

HarryN

while I’m thinking about it has HarryN actually installed a 48V system in a van? My guess is he has not. Prove me wrong HarryN.
If you follow the link in my signature, it takes you to my web store.

Some systems are 24 and others are 48 volt (internally). End customer devices take a variety of voltages - USB (nominal 5 volts), 12 v, 24 v, 48v, 120 vac, etc. All of these are pretty easily supported.

The typical system is built at my shop, then shipped to a customer or installer for installation in their van. That is the main business.

I do a small number of installations of systems, solar, and help customers with van wiring each year but that isn't the primary business goal. I also help arrange the installation of auxiliary alternators, but I don't install them myself.

My shop is small and local real estate is expensive, so doing it this way is more cost and time efficient and allows customers to keep driving their van until the final steps, rather than have it sit in a shop.

I work with a lot of different types of vans - sprinter, transit, promaster, dodge mini van, box truck, odds and ends - and a lot of model years. I try to keep the information all organized, but no doubt there are people like yourself who have more expertise in some models, and I respect that.

If you would like to look over the items on the site and are interested, we can talk about setting you up as an installer. I like it when people push back and show me where I have room to grow in an application. I will admit that because of risk, I am somewhat conservative regarding going beyond the mfg published information.

For the month of August and early Sept, I am completely swamped, but we can talk about it in mid September if you like.

Polonus

The typical system is built at my shop, then shipped to a customer or installer for installation in their van. That is the main business.

[...] I also help arrange the installation of auxiliary alternators, but I don't install them myself.
If I buy my own LiFePo4 batteries and solar panels plus have Transit with dual alternator, can you help with connections, controllers and know how?

HarryN

If I buy my own LiFePo4 batteries and solar panels plus have Transit with dual alternator, can you help with connections, controllers and know how?
Yes. It is ideal for you to purchase the items that you listed.

All of the other items required are provided when you purchase the "system".

The batteries qualified for use are listed on the web site details. Just click on the photos for more info.

Email me directly for further discussions and before you buy anything so that we can coordinate.

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
It really comes down to a personal decision. At the time I bought my Sprinter in 2016, I felt it was the best van available (with the 4 cylinder twin turbo diesel). I wouldn't trade it for any van currently available. I am not a Mercedes fan boy and have no loyalty to any certain brand.

If buying new, with today's options, I would highly consider the AWD Transit. In my travels with Sprinter 4x4s, the drive system simply fails to perform when you need it most. They seem to do okay in the snow and when traction is equal between all four wheels though.

However WHEN the 4 cylinder diesel comes back (MB literature says it will), then I'd be back to the Sprinter 2WD over the Transit. Powertrains are something I care about.

The Transit has the added advantage of a coil sprung front end where the Sprinter has a transverse fiberglass leaf spring from the 1990s, hence the difference in ride that many note. Otherwise both vans are just a steel carcass made for delivering packages.

-Ken

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
The Transit has the added advantage of a coil sprung front end where the Sprinter has a transverse fiberglass leaf spring from the 1990s, hence the difference in ride that many note.

-Ken
I think the front suspension is why the Transit handles better than a Sprinter. Rear suspension on both are the same.

I did not notice much difference in ride from my sold 2008 Sprinter to the current 2015 Transit. I did notice a difference in handling.

GotDiesel?

Transit AWD is not 4wd.
A four cylinder gas engine in a cargo van converted for camping better stay in the flatland.

Transit AWD has four levels of engagement and will direct 50/50 split power to the front/rear wheels. That's pretty close to 4wd. And if you're a purist, get the Quadvan or Quigley parts added then you can go places in your van that you shouldn't.

Mercedes will only send 40% power to the front wheels and hubs are not locked. If you have ever had a true 4wd vehicle that could shift into 4wd high on the fly and lock the hubs in 4wd low, you will know the difference. Mercedes requires you to stop the van to engage "4wd". Not the best plan when you come to a soft spot and need those front wheels to pull NOW.
And, you're right. Let's not talk about needing to have it worked on. $$$$$ if you can find a dealer with a tech who's trained on the Sprinter.

Can you tell that I think the Sprinter is over-rated? We could always talk about how much flex there is in the Sprinter on uneven ground.

Top Bottom