Sprinter or Transit?

T town

Ignoring overheating, what's the use of 2*250A alternators in parallel if you can only get 175-235A out of them combined?
Thanks
Boy this thread is going sideways but it’s fun.
I’ll admit the BEMM is quite the read and I don’t understand it all for sure. I did come across another 200 amp possibility and here is the screen shot. It is under Ford Programable Battery Guard. Don’t know if it is switched or not.
FABA5E0A-92B6-43B3-BFB1-84CA853AA5C3.png
I do not know if this can be used in addition to the 175 amps or not or how it is exactly regulated. There are many, many things in this 200? pg. document that confound me and plenty of others. As far as the use of the 2 alternators I would say temperature is very much the reason. The Transit is always first and foremost a service vehicle. The ambulance pkg has a robust electrical system combined with eliminating stop/start. Imagine an ambulance parked but idling in Philadelphia on a 100 degree summer day still needing all of its systems powered. That is what the Ford is shooting for. It needs outside and inside lights, probably multiple ac units, EKGs, battery charging for defibulators, etc... The Sprinter has a similar setup I’m sure. So how we take this system and use it for our needs is the puzzle. It’s great that Mercedes offers another alternator bracket. Whichever van we pick we need to bend it to our needs and you have to do that within the confines of the architecture. One may be better than the other but I don’t know which is the winner. If this is the tipping point you use to choose between the two makes then you gotta research it and make your decision. It’s not the thing I have used and so other parts of the van and the experience are what guided me.
As far as Amazon vans, here in Seattle I see 90% Transit and the rest split between Sprinter and Ram. Almost all the ambulances are Ford too.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Suspect the second 12 volt Ford alternator could be used to power a pure sine wave inverter. The output from the inverter could power a 120 volt AC charger that is compatible with the battery design.

On both my 2008 Sprinter and the 2015 Transit I have used a vehicle powered inverter to power the shore power charger.

T town

You are obliged to get two batteries if ordering dual alternators. What’s weird is that you are obliged to get two batteries when ordering factory swivels. It’s possible that the two batteries are shorter than the single battery that is offered. That is my guess at trying to figure out this one of many crazy Ford decisions.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
I had 24V in bus conversion. When that can save you few lb of weight, having 3 voltages and carrying spare light bulbs alone was a hassle.
And for 24 V you have to carry spare as you won't be able to buy them on the road.
What voltage you have in your semitruck and why?

HarryN

I can understand why people are hesitant about 24 volt systems. They have only been used in heavy duty trucks since the 1930s and in boats since ~ 50 years. It is kind of a newfangled concept.

The next thing you know, people will be saying crazy things like suggesting that people buy telephones that don't need wires or getting directions from a satellite constellation instead of the corner gas station.

Polonus

What voltage you have in your semitruck and why?
I can understand why people are hesitant about 24 volt systems. They have only been used in heavy duty trucks since the 1930s...
European trucks have 24V systems, but here, in the USA, all trucks have 12V. Why? No idea. Probably because it works. When in the seventies and eighties all vehicles had to have "sealed beams"it was much simpler to have one kind of the lamp for any vehicle on the road.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
I still remember Star, who had 12V light system, but 24V starter.
In Europe things are more expensive, so technicians are better trained to do proper job.
In US general education is at lower level, so split voltage system is asking for troubles.

lindenengineering

For info
If its a commercial vehicle in Europe it will almost always be 24 volts.
In fact all US Mil trucks are 24 volts. Nato 'n all that !
One advantage is the following:-
Basically using a 24 volt supply instead of a 12 volt supply greatly reduces the wiring cost to almost half the original cost. This is so because increasing the voltage of a system causes a reduction in the current through it, and in turn reduces the size of the wires you need . The reduction in wire size cuts down the costs, as the thicker the wire the more costly it is. AND heavier! Another advantage of 24 volt supplies is that they are more compatible with AC appliances like expensive Mil equipment . However, in case you need a 12 volt supply, it is easy to step down the voltage from 24 volts to 12 volts using a charge controller.
In any case all wiring is built with smoke in it.
Don't let the smoke out has to be the word here.;
All too often we have to put right poor wiring installation procedures where the smoke has been let out.
It can be expensive & I have yet to understand how a US up- fitter can use speaker wire to power three cigarette lighter style sockets down the van, & hope to make it work! o_O :LOL::mad:
Again training helps you avoid letting the smoke out, which with 24 volts can be spectacular !
Dennis

Last edited:

HarryN

I have seen 24 volt class 8 trucks in the US, as well as RVs, boats, and conversion vans.

48 volt is common in golf carts, the new dodge truck, the entire telephone network, and pretty much all off grid homes.

I just don't see any real issues other than improved convenience, but I have been doing 24 and 48 for a while, so I view 12 volt as a PITA.

72chevy4x4

if you like a good deal, you could pick up a 2019 Freightliner with steep discounts. couple of caveat's-they're 'preowned' so 0% MB financing isn't an option. They come with whatever options they came with. It's a Freightliner-so you'll need to find a Freightliner dealer for warranty work and they're lacking the comfortable wait rooms w/ pastries as compared to the MB dealer.

I picked up mine for 28% off MSRP. That was good enough for me (y)

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
New Lucid cars run on 400V, so there is no limit to engineers imagination.
Acting in accidents might be another story.
Imagine car wreck and driver trapped in a car having 400V and sparks flying. What will firefighter do?
In my 24V coach I was getting electric shocks when working in sweat. But than 24V was good for welding straight up.

Wind

Was facing the same dilemma 4 weeks ago until I got a really good piece of advice......”buy the one you enjoy driving the most“. That’s what we did and have been presently surprised. We felt, from a pure and practical standpoint, that the Transit was the obvious choice but we preferred driving the Sprinter. Can’t explain why, it just felt better. We had the same Of the several concerns The OP did but those have for the most part been alleviated. We too went with the gas engine and so far (1700 miles in town errands and a short camping trip) the concern I had of being underpowered no longer exists. All while getting 23+mpg on the highway and about 19 in town.

Polonus

if you like a good deal, you could pick up a 2019 Freightliner with steep discounts. couple of caveat's-they're 'preowned' [...]
I picked up mine for 28% off MSRP. That was good enough for me (y)
Can you give me more info? I don't see on Freightliner website any deals like this one.

Wind

So a buddy bought a new transit about the same time we bought our sprinter. He was impressed with the heavier gage steel the Mercedes uses in the body relative to his transit. I can walk all over my roof and he doesn’t dare walk on his. What impressed me most though is how easy and accessible everything has been to get to regarding installation of various items. Don’t know if Transit is similar but I’m sure impressed with this on the Mercedes. Also very impressed with how well the aftermarket products I’ve installed so far fit into place. Bottom line is that each will have their own pluses and minuses based on you individual needs and expectations. Oh, and the new 2019 I bought was $6000-$7000 cheaper than a similarly optioned transit.

72chevy4x4

search for mike marerro from Premier Auto of Dallas. he's the online sales guy. they're on ebay under https://www.ebay.com/usr/premierautosofdallas?_trksid=p2047675.l2559 I had a great experience buying from them fwiw and Mike met us in the parking lot and we drove off 30 mins later. they filled the fuel tank for us which was a nice touch.

story was is that they bought a lot of 330 new sprinters from a florida dealer who had them after the sale didn't go through. whatever the case, mine had 9 miles on the odometer with not a scratch anywhere.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
story was is that they bought a lot of 330 new sprinters from a florida dealer who had them after the sale didn't go through. whatever the case, mine had 9 miles on the odometer with not a scratch anywhere.
I was observing copart auction when last spring they had several new Sprinter chassis under the hammer. I remember couple of action had well over 500 units, although some of them might be double listings. The description was telling FL dealer, but they've been on lot in Connecticut (?)
Anyway, basic chassis would sell for $14k, when loaded, with painted bumper (for RV build) would generate $18k.
All sold as "scratches" even I zoom on lot of picture and could not find single one.
Now those chassis pop on ebay for $30k. PLUS.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
if you like a good deal, you could pick up a 2019 Freightliner with steep discounts. couple of caveat's-they're 'preowned' so 0% MB financing isn't an option. They come with whatever options they came with. It's a Freightliner-so you'll need to find a Freightliner dealer for warranty work and they're lacking the comfortable wait rooms w/ pastries as compared to the MB dealer.
In states that don't have (silly) laws about sticking-to-the-branded-dealer, you may find that MB is perfectly willing to do warranty/recall work on Freightliners ... they're both owned by Daimler.
Back in the T1N days, i used Dodge to do warranty work on my Freightliner.

You *may* have to ask to have your VIN placed in "the other company's" computer system, but a good dealer will say they'll be doing that anyway. (Hence i was registered in Dodge's Business Link system, as well as FL's whatever).

When the T21 recall hit, FL Sprinters were flocking to the Seattle-area MB dealers and being handled well.
Including espresso and doughnuts. (or croissants)
--dick

GotDiesel?

Sprinter:
Pro's- #vanlifers think you're cool and one of the "tribe"
- Lots of after market up fitters to select from.
- You will get to know where the dealership in your area is that will work on your van.
Con's-You will get to give that dealership a lot of money when they work on your van.
-You will learn what UREA is.
- You can get it with a 4 wheel drive (which is not really a 4 wheel drive) but #vanlifers will give you extra props.

Transit:
Pro's-You can just get gas anywhere.
-You can just get service anywhere.
-You can afford to get it serviced at a dealership.
-You will NOT care what UREA is.
-In 2020 you can get a twin turbo 6 cylinder gas engine, 10 speed transmission and true all wheel drive.
Con's- #vanlifers will not yet know how cool you are.

Wind

Sprinter:
Pro's- #vanlifers think you're cool and one of the "tribe"
- Lots of after market up fitters to select from.
- You will get to know where the dealership in your area is that will work on your van.
Con's-You will get to give that dealership a lot of money when they work on your van.
-You will learn what UREA is.
- You can get it with a 4 wheel drive (which is not really a 4 wheel drive) but #vanlifers will give you extra props.

Transit:
Pro's-You can just get gas anywhere.
-You can just get service anywhere.
-You can afford to get it serviced at a dealership.
-You will NOT care what UREA is.
-In 2020 you can get a twin turbo 6 cylinder gas engine, 10 speed transmission and true all wheel drive.
Con's- #vanlifers will not yet know how cool you are.
mercedes I4 turbo gas = no UREA
Transit AWD is not 4wd.
similar equipped vehicles, the Sprinter initial cost was $6k less than the Transit, at least when I purchased mine.

Top Bottom