Sprinter or Transit?

Andrew_T

Newer Powerstrokes are not even close as problematic as the old ones although they still have their issues... If you want reliable, get a Cummins.:)

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
The 7.3l Powerstrokes are still being famous even production ended almost 20 years ago.
Still fellow forum member took his 7.3 Ford for long vacations and had to drive 1500 miles home on 7 cylinders as injector failed.
Anyway, it is typical that we always remember as better- something we don't have.
I did replace number of sensors and orings on 7.3l powerstrokes, when only 1 sensor on this MB and other sensor on other MB.
Bringing me to conclusion that the only difference is in the perception.
3 failed sensors on Ford are normal, but single sensor failure on MB is subject to government report and voting for recall.
The same with comfort - kicking the door closed on Ford or Nissan, or Chevy is totally normal, but when you need 3 fingers to close Mercedes door- you run for warranty repair.

Last edited:

solovam

Talking about AWD... Many moons ago I was working in Krakow, Poland in the trucking company, where we were using Check trucks Tatra as a "balast tractors" - trucks with concrete block attached to the frame behind the cab for better traction. They were used to pull heavy trailers, equipped with 4 axles, 8 wheels per axle. Tatras were truly 6WD, with lockable 3 axles and all differs. One day they bought Russian KrAZ to do the same job. Proud driver washed it in freezing temperature and... when he finished he couldn't move it. 3 wheels, one on each axle, were spinning, but other three where solidly frozen to the flat, concrete place he was at. I am not sure now if he just didn't know how to lock the differentials, or that truck didn't have that option, but then we thought it didn't have it and everybody were laughing at that "military grade Russian vehicle, which is stuck on flat, concrete place.
Thought you might enjoy this, 6x6 Tartra-815 vs 6x6 ZIL-157 offroading:

(rode in the back of ZIL-157 many times)

lindenengineering

Well that was fun & I bet the guys got some kicks out of that!
As for the video itself, it again demonstrates the vulnerability of the high centering risks with the Tatra and to some extent the Pinzgauer with its unique final drive design.
As far that Zil is concerned, its simply a copy of WW2 trucks but they work well in muddy conditions & LOVE to guzzle gasoline (petrol) & often I used to make jokes that these old Russian trucks guzzle gasoline like the guys do with Vodka!
Or in Poland like Slivovitz, (Hmm I am remembering celebrating my 25th birthday in Warsaw doing big truck support & training for a Brit manufacturer & local engine production with Leyland Pezetal, Enough mentioned about that experience !!!

Again (for me at least and referring to a previous post) if i was involved in a logging or mining operation in sub Sahara Africa Kamaz would be one of my top picks .
Dennis

frorider

Back in 2015 I was all set to get an AWD Sprinter for my campervan conversion but veered away after research on this forum and talking to acquaintances who had significant Sprinter experience.

Transverse sleeping with insulated walls despite my 6’3” height was one reason...flares seemed like a band aid solution to anyone consciously rejecting a fiberglass camper. People overlook transmission reliabilty and performance—the Ford 6 spd was clear winner vs the 5 spd Merc w/ the V6 AWD back then. I signed up early for Quadvan 4x4 and liked the options (lockers or geared LSD) a Ford diff offers unlike Mercedes. Coil front end. Etc. This thread has covered Ford advantages I won’t bother repeating.

but let‘s face it, there are psychological aspects to our purchases esp in a vehicle that takes one to some very remote areas. Back then I was scared off by the Sprinter threads discussing Mercedes accusing US owners of running diesel above 5% bio content to deny warranty coverage (I suspect that’s why ford put a huge B20 emblem on the rear door) and mysterious problems resulting from DEF levels and fill frequency and you name it (DEF has been mostly a non issue in transit diesel forum discussion). Or a good friend whose Sprinter engine marooned him in rural Idaho and a tow to a dealer who didn’t have any mechanics truly qualified to fix it...that fiasco took 3 weeks to fix on a van with 10k miles.

The small wheel wells on the transit are frustrating to say the least. it’s an easy mod to get the Ford rear shock hanger ground clearance to an acceptable level, but irritating nonetheless.

synergy_58

2009 Navion and 2015 Crew
This, and some other topics, have fallen by the side. I’m guessing things have changed so much in 2020 that interest has been lost, or there just isn’t much more to say, about Transits or Sprinters, which is too bad. I’m back and forth, back and forth, and now with this emmisons law suit, I just wonder where the chips are going to fall. Now I have to decide, do I stick to MB, buy a new 2020/21, or cross the fence and get a Transit. I want a new van.

Considering I still own, and really like my ’09 Navion for just about everything I do. Would it be strange to own one of each, a Sprinter and a Transit? Oh, and my ’15 Sprinter, which is now in my son’s hands, at least for the interim. I spent so much tiime building this ’15, and I really enjoy it too, how do I justify buying a Transit to my son. LOL.

Transit, MB, Transit, MB, Transit, MB….? Law suit ;) , me, money, me, hmmmmmm? Ford…Fix Or Repair Daily. Hmmm? I haven’t owned a Ford in over thirty years because of Fix Or Repair Daily. Fords aren’t as polished as MB’s, but for all the reasons previously mentioned, I have to wonder if my wallet would be a lot happier with a Transit?

Ok, I’ve said enough. Anyone still lurking, have anything to say? You could just tell me to go F myself, as some have done here.

Come out of your vans people and TALK! LOL!

T town

I could write a lot but will try to keep it short. Just ordered a 2021 AWD Transit, high and extended.
When I first contemplated a van 2-3 years ago I thought Sprinter was the only game in town. It was all I’d see in the PNW.
After researching I realized the diesel was not ideal and that was the only way to get an AWD Sprinter. I say AWD because that’s what it is although people love to say they have 4X4. Plus the Sprinter system is simply lack luster.
In 2019 I found out Ford was offering AWD in 2020 so I waited. Due to COVID I waited a little longer. No hurry as I will retire a year from now.
No doubt the Sprinter looks better, has greater ground clearance and has a star on the front and back. Build quality may be better. Options are more thorough. It has a lot going for it and if they just offered a powerful gas engine, a decent AWD and upped their dealer count about 10X I’d buy one.
Yes the Transit has problems, many. Ground clearance is the biggest but there are fixes that help tremendously. With the Transit you are looking at more backyard adjustments, replacements, hacks, whatever you want to call them to get it ready for prime time. But it will be ready for sure.
Transit is much more a work truck. Built cheaper, maybe more disposable. It’s built low for its AWD because Ford knew no delivery driver wants to step up high hundreds of times a day to use the thing. I think some of the engineering is a little crude.
But boy does it have an engine in the ecoboost and by all accounts the AWD is amazing and transparent. It has 3-4 modes one of which locks 50:50 front to back with a LSD in the rear. Even in normal mode it can instantly transfer 100% to the front wheels. After all the criticisms of the Sprinter system this is a revelation.
No limp home mode, no mis-fueling or wondering if that last station you’re going to pass has diesel and if that underground tank has water in it. And when you do have a mechanical problem there just might be a Ford dealer in town and not 5 hours away.
I could go on but I’m trying to keep it short. Both vans have pluses and minuses. What are you comfortable with and what not? Can you be seen in a Ford when the Joneses have a Sprinter?
Spend some time at fordtransitusaforum.com and learn about the crappy water drain system under the hood. Revel in the idiocy of rear brake repair, learn about the baffling maze of ordering options which illogically eliminate the ability to order other options. Marvel at the stupid little tires that can only be upgraded to 30 in.
Take in all the good and the bad, arm yourself with some knowledge and you might come to a decision to get a Transit like I did.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
I was just about to contribute, and then discovered that T Town just said literally everything that I was about to write.
I will never, ever own another diesel. Transit it is.

Andrew_T

I kinda agree; Transit is bridging the gap we used to have called Sprinter vs the “rest” as a dismissive word.

The new LED headlights from Transit already make the Transit look a lot better than it used to...factory add on items are also much much cheaper than sprinter’s..special paint doesn’t cost 1000$ extra, but only 200$.

Get what your heart tells you to get, but take a deep look into your wallet as well and don’t bite more than you can chew.

eranrund

I kinda agree; Transit is bridging the gap we used to have called Sprinter vs the “rest” as a dismissive word.

The new LED headlights from Transit already make the Transit look a lot better than it used to...factory add on items are also much much cheaper than sprinter’s..special paint doesn’t cost 1000$ extra, but only 200$.

Get what your heart tells you to get, but take a deep look into your wallet as well and don’t bite more than you can chew.
Now if only they offered those LED headlights on the Cargo version.... (I am in the process of ordering a 2021 Cargo AWD Transit. The Sprinter looks better in my opinion but it's too difficult to find competent shops to work on it. I hope I'll have an easier time with the Ford)

Andrew_T

Now if only they offered those LED headlights on the Cargo version.... (I am in the process of ordering a 2021 Cargo AWD Transit. The Sprinter looks better in my opinion but it's too difficult to find competent shops to work on it. I hope I'll have an easier time with the Ford)
You could retrofit them , but they’re 1000$ a piece. Hard to swallow ...
My uncle is looking into pepping up his Transit; very expensive after the fact.
I was actually getting ready to order a Transit 6 months ago, and I was able to fit a crew van with those headlights. Maybe look into that configuration;
Crew vans are worth the extra cash in my opinion...

Polonus

I just bought LED light bulbs and I am going to install them in my Transit tonight. I also installed new wheels. I gad to trim some of the metal in the wheel well.

Andrew_T

Just to be clear, we’re talking about these headlights which have the LED “wing” or whatever that is with HID projectors and not LED bulbs in reflector housings.
Took this picture couple days ago on the freeway of a Transit with said headlights:
7A806368-693E-42BD-A78E-D044DAF1BFD7.jpeg

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
T-town posted a good review.

I have had my 2015 Transit for 5 years and have not noticed a need for different headlights.

There are a couple of major differences between a 2008 Sprinter and a 2015 Ecoboost Transit that were not mentioned. Sprinter diesel will get better fuel economy but will cost much more for scheduled maintenance. Transit drives more like a car with acceleration and better handling.

Since I had several major Sprinter failures on my sold 2008, I unfortunately lost confidence in the Sprinters reliability and service availability. I was then always wondering if it quit where would I get it fixed. Once your mind gets contaminated with that thought it does not go away. May not be logical but the thought does not go away. Now I am not bothered with reliability issues with the Transit and know every other town has a Ford dealer that can repair the vehicle if it fails. So far in 36,000 miles I have not had any failures so that adds to the piece on mind.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both vehicles.

synergy_58

I’ve bounced all these mentioned pro’s and con’s back and forth for months now, and I’m still no further ahead in my decision. For now I have my Navion, and enjoy it a lot. With all three Sprinters there has always been the concerns of when will it go limp and where will I get it repaired when it does, and yes this sucks! I have broken down in the middle of litterally no where, once in WY and once in AK, and have had to replace fuel and air filters on the side of the road. Not fun. Even my ’05 T1N broke down after 2 months of ownership back in ’06. Remember the “rumble strip noise”, the turbo hose issues? But in all fairness, it was environmental conditions and poor quality fuel which caused the break downs in my Navion. I’ve not had any issues with my ’15, with now 60k miles.
The Navion my home on wheels and I need it for long distance traveling, and it’s paid for, so I’ll keep it going and keep runnning it. A daily driver, well maybe I’ll get a Transit and see whats what. Who know’s, maybe even a gas.

Glad to hear the inputs; it helps to know what others are experiencing!

synergy_58

T-town posted a good review.

I have had my 2015 Transit for 5 years and have not noticed a need for different headlights.

There are a couple of major differences between a 2008 Sprinter and a 2015 Ecoboost Transit that were not mentioned. Sprinter diesel will get better fuel economy but will cost much more for scheduled maintenance. Transit drives more like a car with acceleration and better handling.

Since I had several major Sprinter failures on my sold 2008, I unfortunately lost confidence in the Sprinters reliability and service availability. I was then always wondering if it quit where would I get it fixed. Once your mind gets contaminated with that thought it does not go away. May not be logical but the thought does not go away. Now I am not bothered with reliability issues with the Transit and know every other town has a Ford dealer that can repair the vehicle if it fails. So far in 36,000 miles I have not had any failures so that adds to the piece on mind.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both vehicles.
Dave,

I’m re-reading your https://www.ortontransit.info/2015-transit-summary-1 now.

Now that you’ve had your 2015, if you were to buy another new one or used one, which years would you consider, why? I could go new, and I may, but the dealers are in love with thier units at the set MSRP prices, especailly any with AWD. There are new ’20 & ’21s, and even a few ’19’s, but not a lot of incentives and the prices reach upwards close to Sprinter pricing, and MB dealerships have offered huge discounts, bringing the price down below a comparably equipted Transit, from those I have looked at anyway.

If I were to go used, I’m guessing the newest with the biggest bang for the buck.

You mention that access from the cab area to the rear is better in the sprinter’s, is this still the case with newer model’s, did this area improve any? Anyone?

Thanks!

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Not a lot of changes since 2015 introduction except you can now buy 4 wheel drive.

I like the 2015 Transit 6 speed transmission and regularly manually downshift it. I also have the optional tow/haul mode that works well to automatically downshift when descending a hill. 2020 Transits got a new 10 speed automatic. I have not driven one but have heard some negative comments. I do know that manually downshifting would be less useful due to too many gear choices. 6 choices work well but 10 may be too many.

Sprinter has much easier access between the driver seat and the back of the van compared to the Transit. Transit seats are further away from the doors which narrows the opening between the seats. Not much of an issue leaving the seat to go into cargo area but the cargo area to the seat requires more effort. Not a big deal once you figure out how to do it. I did find that the Transit is easier to enter from outside to the driver seat. Probably because the seat is further from the door. All current Transits have the same seat orientation. Have read that next year's Transit will have a electric hand brake to eliminate the floor mounted hand brake.

sanomechanic

Not a lot of changes since 2015 introduction except you can now buy 4 wheel drive.

I like the 2015 Transit 6 speed transmission and regularly manually downshift it. I also have the optional tow/haul mode that works well to automatically downshift when descending a hill. 2020 Transits got a new 10 speed automatic. I have not driven one but have heard some negative comments. I do know that manually downshifting would be less useful due to too many gear choices. 6 choices work well but 10 may be too many.

Sprinter has much easier access between the driver seat and the back of the van compared to the Transit. Transit seats are further away from the doors which narrows the opening between the seats. Not much of an issue leaving the seat to go into cargo area but the cargo area to the seat requires more effort. Not a big deal once you figure out how to do it. I did find that the Transit is easier to enter from outside to the driver seat. Probably because the seat is further from the door. All current Transits have the same seat orientation. Have read that next year's Transit will have a electric hand brake to eliminate the floor mounted hand brake.
Still a FORD no matter how much lipstick you put on that pig. You can polish a turd but...It's still a turd

eranrund

I just bought LED light bulbs and I am going to install them in my Transit tonight. I also installed new wheels. I gad to trim some of the metal in the wheel well.

What are your thoughts about potential implications to the warranty? Ford states that bigger tires will void the warranty but seems like no one is concerned by that.

Top Bottom