Avonite or Paperstone

warx

I am finishing my 58.5 x 20" galley made of 15 series 80/20 and trying to decide between these two countertops. I can see remnants in good sizes for both luckily and the price difference is not huge (Paperstone $160 - $250, Avonite $300, shipping $50-100). Seems like 0.75" Paperstone will be quite a bit heavier but again really not a deal breaker and will probably work directly on the frame (17" span between the members). Avonite 0.5" I am not so sure about - but not a big deal to drop a piece of 0.75" ply inside the frame. Either would work without any sort of bullnose.

The remnants are typically big enough to rip a couple of strips off for a small backsplash. Also will need to cut a hole for a Ruvati sink (again trying to decide between undermount or drop-in). Here's where the choice gets harder. Doing a 58" long rip and using special adhesives. Not sure if I need specialized tools for Avonite like their router bits. Paperstone looks like it's much easier.

One other factor is all the Paperstone remnants are their darkest colors. I guess I could get used to it.

Final decision is whether to drop-in an induction cook-top or stick with a portable. I like the idea of being able to take it outside but we'll typically have a propane camping stove too. Also like the built-in as the counter is quite large.

warx

What are the reasons for deciding on these two product?
I don't want stainless, sealed wood or stone/quartz. I tried contacting a few Corian dealers/fabricators none got back to me - job too small. These two products seem to cater to DIY and non full size slab sales - plus they both look and perform great and don't weigh a ton.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
I don't want stainless, sealed wood or stone/quartz. I tried contacting a few Corian dealers/fabricators none got back to me - job too small. These two products seem to cater to DIY and non full size slab sales - plus they both look and perform great and don't weigh a ton.
I'd be inclined to use the thinnest form available and 'laminate' it over euro-ply which is very stiff. I used this method with my SS tops and with 12mm euro-ply. Creating seams is not as difficult as it intimidating....

warx

I ended up ordering some 3/4 Paperstone in Onyx (black) which might be good contrast to the bamboo and light charcoal cloth. My 58x20 counter with a cutout for a Ruvati sink should weigh in around 37lb so not too bad. Now I need to decide if I can do a good enough cut job for an undermount sink or play it safe with a top/drop-in one. I think this material is pretty easy finish nicely if the router cut it OK.

warx

Thank you for the link, very helpful. Any idea what the difference is between slate and slate-p?
I don't know - I tried emailing these guys with no response so I would call. There's not a lot of info on Paperstone on the www either.

pfflyer

I dumpster dove a Corian countertop fabricator. Asked and he was happy for me to take whatever I needed because he paid for the removal by volume. I was able to find several long pieces 16-18" wide and several feet long. Very easy to work with standard tools. Went another time but didn't find as many wide pieces so it may take a few trips to get what you want. At the time the fabricator was buying abrasives and Amana router bits from me so I gave him a discount if he would set aside some bigger scraps. Besides making my countertop out of scraps I made a few other useful projects.

Attachments

ebornstein

I agree not much info there, I will call on monday. There are no remnants in Slate that meet my needs but there are plenty of Slate-p ones that would work....

hein

Van Guru
I designed and machined our countertop out of Corian. One feature that has proved nice for catching spills is a raised lip around the perimeter. The backsplash is expanded PVC and the strips are metal so we can attach magnets for holding stuff.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan

P.S. Machined some paperstone once and it was not fun. Corian cuts much easier.

warx

OK, so I've finished my Paperstone counter. While it was very easy to work (cuts easily, takes a thread and glues with marine 2pt epoxy) it has some finishing effort with oil and then needs beeswax maintenance. If I were choosing again I'd probably bite the bullet and get the special tools and glue for Avonite. It does look nice though.

Counter $150 + $95 s/h, OSMO Top Oil $40, Bees wax $15

Attachments

edclarke

Ed Clarke 2021 170 4x4
OK, so I've finished my Paperstone counter. While it was very easy to work (cuts easily, takes a thread and glues with marine 2pt epoxy) it has some finishing effort with oil and then needs beeswax maintenance. If I were choosing again I'd probably bite the bullet and get the special tools and glue for Avonite. It does look nice though.

Counter $150 + $95 s/h, OSMO Top Oil $40, Bees wax $15
That's beautiful warx! Where did you find that piece of Paperstone for $150?

edclarke

Ed Clarke 2021 170 4x4
Thanks warx! I've been watching their site for a deal on the right size Azure. Did you use 3/4" or 1"?

warx

I used 3/4". It's just deep enough to take a tapped M8 hole. I think 1" would be fine too. My 60x23x0.75 weighed 52lb (I think it actually weighed 49 fitted size).

edclarke

Ed Clarke 2021 170 4x4
I'm really trying to watch my weight (van), but planning to splurge on two 3'4" Paperstone counters that total about 11' x 23" which will weigh about 100 lbs. after a credit for the sink and induction cutouts.

Top Bottom