Install rear door fans from pikavo?

kcshoots

VanTripping.com
I have a MaxxAir 7500 and rarely use it on high, almost always on a lower setting which is plenty to provide my needed airflow. One 200 cfm in each door would likely be more than adequate for providing continuous air flow. A lower speed is not only much less energy but also quieter. The controls/temp setting and remote on the MaxxFan are fantastic (intended pun). But it does loose heat in the winter time and take up roof space.

mbwkrause

You should listen to their video, the noise those fans are making would drive me nuts at night. As much as I like the idea of having more roof space, I ended up installing a Maxxair.

Kfalc

I have a MaxxAir 7500 and rarely use it on high, almost always on a lower setting which is plenty to provide my needed airflow. One 200 cfm in each door would likely be more than adequate for providing continuous air flow. A lower speed is not only much less energy but also quieter. The controls/temp setting and remote on the MaxxFan are fantastic (intended pun). But it does loose heat in the winter time and take up roof space.
Thank you! This was a really helpful reply. We have a passenger van with rear AC, so roof space is an issue if we want to put solar panels on. The idea of the rear door fan is sounding a lot better to me!

Kfalc

You should listen to their video, the noise those fans are making would drive me nuts at night. As much as I like the idea of having more roof space, I ended up installing a Maxxair.
Thank you for pointing that out! We have dogs and often leave music on just to reduce them hearing outside sounds that they want to bark at, so the fan noise might actually be good for us! Lol ?

borabora

When you want to get rid of hot air and draw in cool air then you really, really need to exhaust through the ceiling and not 5 or 10 or 15 inches below the ceiling.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
When you want to get rid of hot air and draw in cool air then you really, really need to exhaust through the ceiling and not 5 or 10 or 15 inches below the ceiling.
... and provide intake vents at floor level (pulling from the cool shaded air under the Sprinter)

--dick

45Kevin

Thank you! This was a really helpful reply. We have a passenger van with rear AC, so roof space is an issue if we want to put solar panels on. The idea of the rear door fan is sounding a lot better to me!
Have you considered using the fan in the AC unit.
Wire it to run without the rest of the AC on.

marklg

Have you considered using the fan in the AC unit.
Wire it to run without the rest of the AC on.
The AC fan just recirculates inside air. In order to push air through the coils, it is big and power hungry and heats the air that goes through it if the AC is not on. It's useless for comfort unless the AC is actually running.

Cross ventilation is key. One exhaust fan on the roof plus some passive screened window or other vents to let fresh air in so it goes past you works well.

We have one Fantastic Fan on the roof and screened windows all around and are comfortable with temps into the 80s.

Regards,

Mark

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
Hi, I believe it is possible to put some vents or boat fans under the solar panels, but I am not there yet.
@hein may know.

bcman

The AC fan just recirculates inside air. In order to push air through the coils, it is big and power hungry and heats the air that goes through it if the AC is not on. It's useless for comfort unless the AC is actually running.
I'd love to see someone modify the rooftop A/C to function as a roof vent. There's a fan for the condenser and a fan for the evaporator, so in theory either fan could be ducted to exchange inside and outside air. Perhaps some electrically-operated louvers to switch it from A/C mode to roof vent mode. The cowling on the rooftop unit would provide rain protection.

Kfalc

I'd love to see someone modify the rooftop A/C to function as a roof vent. There's a fan for the condenser and a fan for the evaporator, so in theory either fan could be ducted to exchange inside and outside air. Perhaps some electrically-operated louvers to switch it from A/C mode to roof vent mode. The cowling on the rooftop unit would provide rain protection.
We would love to find a way to utilize the rear AC when the van is off. If it were possible to use it just as a fan that would be awesome. From all the discussions I’ve read here it doesn’t seem possible. Maybe someone will chime in with a solution (hopeful).

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
And at the back of the van no less.
I think these are a great idea if you have snow on your roof and therefore the roof fan is non op, still can get some ventilation and reduce condensation without opening windows or doors. But I view them as an addition, not instead of a roof fan since heat rises and if it’s summer... the middle of that van is going to be ?. Especially if the van is anything but white.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Hello,

I’d love to hear from anyone who has installed the Pikavo RVF Fan system. Looks pretty cool, especially for someone like me who doesn’t want to cut my roof open :)

I’m wondering how strong the fans are, and likes/dislikes.

https://www.pikavo.com/pikavo/product/pikavo-products/rvf-fan-system

Thanks!
-Kelly
I talked with the owner of Pikavo a while back he did mention that due to covid related supply chain issues they’re having to take what they can get for fans... and some are a bit noisier than others.
? I find it interesting you don’t want to cut your roof open (something that’s been done on RV’s and vans for decades) but no problem cutting holes in the doors?

I think the rear door fans are a great idea if you have snow on your roof and therefore the roof fan is non op, you can still get some ventilation and reduce condensation without opening windows or doors. But I view them as more of a possible addition, not instead of a roof fan since heat rises and if it’s summer... the middle of that van is going to be ?. Especially if the van is anything but white!

Sprintoff101

Just had Pikavo installed. The noise is unbearable. They may look cool, but they are a complete waste of time and money.... unless you want to spend hundreds of dollars on a light and sit next to something that sounds like a jet engine in take off mode. I would not recommend.

Last edited:

lickwid

Learner
Just had Pikavo installed. The noise is unbearable. They may look cool, but they are a complete waste of time and money.... unless you want to spend hundreds of dollars on a light and sit next to something that sounds like a jet engine in take off mode. I would not recommend.
Do you have photos of your install, or even better, a video showing the noise levels? I currently have this spec'd in our build, but may have to consider nixing it if it's the bad. We have no room on our roof for a fan, only AC and solar.

Last month or so, I met up with a fellow forum member who had a pair fo those on his rear doors. He had a remote control to operate them which was cool.

When he turned them on, the noise was not insignificant. Mounting them with some rubber gasket material to separate the metal of the doors from the fan unit might help with roar.

I am sure there must be a way to mitigate the fan noise. The idea is good but the noise is not.

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
A big slow fan will quietly move more air than a small, fast, noisy one. Can't change the laws of physics.

My friend was telling me how great and compact his new Dyson fan is. I went to his house, and it was hard to have a conversation next to the fan. I guess it's quiet compared to their vacuum cleaners...

Top Bottom