My install experience with Flarespace flares

cometman

So I decided to take my 2019 to have flares installed due to the fact that your warranty is VOID if you do it yourself. The install and painting of the flares cost roughly $1600, on top of the flares + windows + trim kit. So about $4000 total.

I dropped off my van, with thinsulate already installed (DEFINITELY won't make that mistake again)...thinking that the installer setup magnets/tape off areas to catch metal trimmings..or maybe even better, remove any Thinsulate (which was not glued before cutting)

Nope.

I pulled back the insulation and saw this trimmings everywhere. I let out a deep sigh and knew that I had to remove all the insulation to get these shavings out. So 2+ hours later after removing insulation and cleaning up shavings with magnets + vaccuum. I was able to get the insulation back installed. In addition to metal shavings, I have a MASSIVE piece of metal left in the wall of the sheet metal directly below the newly made window where metal was trimmed.

For a $4000 modification to the van, I was not impressed with the install process. Should I report this experience to Flarespace, or is this on me for already having thinsulate installed?

In addition, the sheet metal seam where the newly made window sits appears to have a 1cm gap in it. Is this normal??

Flarespace forcing you to do this at an installer in order to not void a warranty kind of feels like a kick in the balls too :/

Attachments

ssort

It's all about the bikes!
sounds like you picked the wrong installer who did not take proper care. I would most def contact FS and let them know of the lack of care taken with your install by the authorized installer.

Jupiter_Shrugged

Junebug vs. Hurricane
I'll definitely be doing the install myself... Warranty schmorranty. I can't stand paying dirt-bags to screw up my stuff.

Nice garage flooring and handstand too!

JFloFoto

Sounds like you got standard workmanship these days. Can't tell you how many times I've had to re-do, re-finish or re-install work done by a supposed 'pro'.

mk216v

Ugh, sorry to hear! :(

Sounds like you got standard workmanship these days. Can't tell you how many times I've had to re-do, re-finish or re-install work done by a supposed 'pro'.
Ain't that the truth. Even the Instagram popular "pro" builders, one in Portland Oregon in particular, almost laughable how ultimately not-pro their workmanship is, having to fix stuff yourself, find other vendors to fix their mistakes or forgotten additions. Looks very IG pretty, but reliable especially off the beaten path? Fat chance.

pdxhiker

So I decided to take my 2019 to have flares installed due to the fact that your warranty is VOID if you do it yourself. The install and painting of the flares cost roughly $1600, on top of the flares + windows + trim kit. So about $4000 total.

I dropped off my van, with thinsulate already installed (DEFINITELY won't make that mistake again)...thinking that the installer setup magnets/tape off areas to catch metal trimmings..or maybe even better, remove any Thinsulate (which was not glued before cutting)

Nope.

I pulled back the insulation and saw this trimmings everywhere. I let out a deep sigh and knew that I had to remove all the insulation to get these shavings out. So 2+ hours later after removing insulation and cleaning up shavings with magnets + vaccuum. I was able to get the insulation back installed. In addition to metal shavings, I have a MASSIVE piece of metal left in the wall of the sheet metal directly below the newly made window where metal was trimmed.

For a $4000 modification to the van, I was not impressed with the install process. Should I report this experience to Flarespace, or is this on me for already having thinsulate installed?

In addition, the sheet metal seam where the newly made window sits appears to have a 1cm gap in it. Is this normal??

Flarespace forcing you to do this at an installer in order to not void a warranty kind of feels like a kick in the balls too :/
can you pm me the installer, I'd like to avoid them for my van.

no_bean_chili

Dang, sorry to hear you didn’t have a great experience.

I don’t fully follow “the sheet metal seam where the newly made window sits appears to have a 1cm gap.”

grantwilson

FreedomVanGo
As one of those installers, we do require customers to drop off their vans without any insulation in that area.

Obviously, they didn't do any preventative work, but even when you do, stuff gets everywhere.

That is a bit crazy. But I do think I have seen flarespace on the forum, so maybe they will see it also

Last edited:

Top Bottom