Possible awning mount leak

jdgrand

2006 Dodge 2500 RV
I searched this sub forum but found no results about this problem. Earlier this summer, after lots of rain, I noticed staining on the passenger side cab headliner that wraps around the front doors and windshield. I suspect that the front mount for the awning is leaking. I'm wondering if anyone has had similar issues. I notice that the awning on later model Sprinter RVs is mounted at the edge of the roof while the Great West Sprinter Legend (and other conversions) has it mounted lower. So I wonder if that could be a contributing factor.

Has anyone encountered similar issues and, if so, how did you resolve them?

Thanks,
Jim
2007 Great West Sprinter Legend

marklg

I searched this sub forum but found no results about this problem. Earlier this summer, after lots of rain, I noticed staining on the passenger side cab headliner that wraps around the front doors and windshield. I suspect that the front mount for the awning is leaking. I'm wondering if anyone has had similar issues. I notice that the awning on later model Sprinter RVs is mounted at the edge of the roof while the Great West Sprinter Legend (and other conversions) has it mounted lower. So I wonder if that could be a contributing factor.

Has anyone encountered similar issues and, if so, how did you resolve them?

Thanks,
Jim
2007 Great West Sprinter Legend
I have a 2007 GW Legend. No leaks I can see, and we spent time in New Orleans the past week when it just poured every day. I can look tomorrow how it is mounted and trade pictures if it will help.

Is this a Fiamma F45i 13' awning? I had plastic pieces break that hold the arms and created 3D printed parts to replace them, as they seem to be hard to find.

Regards,

Mark

jdgrand

2006 Dodge 2500 RV
I haven't been on the forum in awhile so here's an update. Mark, It is the Fiamma F45. I removed the awning and the mounts, scraped off the old caulking and re-caulked/glued the mounts and reattached the awning. So far no further sign of leaks but then it's the dry season here so have had only light rain.

Mark,
Thanks for your reply and and the info on plastic parts. Have you re-caulked or replaced any of the roof vents? I had a leak on the bathroom vent but it was from a cracked cover which I have fixed. I think it unlikely that my leak came from the kitchen hood vent but should probably re-caulk it as preventive maintenance.

Again, I welcome any insights and suggestions.

Thanks,
Jim

marklg

I haven't been on the forum in awhile so here's an update. Mark, It is the Fiamma F45. I removed the awning and the mounts, scraped off the old caulking and re-caulked/glued the mounts and reattached the awning. So far no further sign of leaks but then it's the dry season here so have had only light rain.

Mark,
Thanks for your reply and and the info on plastic parts. Have you re-caulked or replaced any of the roof vents? I had a leak on the bathroom vent but it was from a cracked cover which I have fixed. I think it unlikely that my leak came from the kitchen hood vent but should probably re-caulk it as preventive maintenance.

Again, I welcome any insights and suggestions.

Thanks,
Jim
I have not re-caulked anything that I can remember. I have made new holes and sealed with Dicor Lap Sealant and nothing has leaked so far.

Regards,

Mark

Top Bottom