Refrigerator Advice Please

sprinterdiscovery

We've run an inexpensive $60, 120v dorm fridge from Home Depot in our Sprinter van for the past 3 years, and on a full time roadtrip since July 12 2021 traveling across Canada from West to east and back.

The fridge is connected to our Goal Zero Yeti 1000 battery pack, running 24 hours per day. We don't have solar, just a Victron DC charger that keeps our Yeti fully charged up as we drive.

It's small enough for two people, stocking beer, eggs, coleslaw, cheese, milk, butter etc. We drive every day, and we've never run out of battery though sometimes close but then we drive for a bit to charge it up a while.

If we are on a steep incline, the fridge will not cool, but that's rarely the case. In the heat it uses more battery, in cooler temperatures less so.
We bolted it to the floor and have been on some extremely rough gravel roads, traveling over 160,000km so far with it and zero issues.

Very glad we didn't spend any more money on it. If and when it breaks we'll throw it out and buy a new one again for under $100.

Simple. Cheap. It works .

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Good luck finding new one below $100.
Now dorm-style refrigerator go above $200.
I bought such refrigerator for Airstream trailer what was about 15 years ago and that one had freeze compartment behind main door.
From my recollection it was not good freezer, when the new one surprised me nicely.
Not too many freezers will freeze bottle of water in 3 hr when operating above 100F.

calbiker

I installed a TruckFridge TF49 in my VW Westfalia last year.

The TF49 pulls 2.7 A when ON, with a duty cycle of 34%

AH/24 Hr = 2.7A * 0.34 * 24 hrs = 22 AH

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Is it 2.7 amp at 120, or 12V ?
Than not knowing ambient temperatures duty cycle is worthless.

outdoordawg

I have an isotherm 130 (connected to DC only) and it draws around 45W, I have 600ah of batteries and 400w solar panels. I leave the refrigerator on even when parked and unused. By noon my battery is back at 100% and solar powers the refrigerator mostly. The temp inside does not get as cold as a house fridge even with it set at max cold. Freezer seems to work ok. Tbh I am not very happy with it.

RVRover

We have an Engel combi MT60F. Bolted in 6 yrs ago . It is the best in my opinion…We required a repair stop early in the summer. The Engel was half full with frozen meat in the freezer side and dairy stuff in the fridge side. It was closed up in full sun. We could not get back for four days thinking for sure the Engel should not keep up in the Sprinter in full sun facing south without wind shield cover. Hot hot hot. It maintained temps and keep every thing frozen. That’s my endorsement.

Is a "holding plate" a gimmick or a real option for saving on the fridge power draw? Does anyone have experience with this model or one like it?

"AX models are equipped with a holding plate to maintain the temperature in the fridge for extended periods either over night or when there is limited power available"

Top Bottom