NCV3: 2006-2018 Sound 20 and 6 disc changer

I have the sound 20 out of my Sprinter along with the 6-disc changer that I removed when I changed head units. It worked when it was pulled. A1698700789 and A2118705390 . Shoot me an offer and I will ship it...you don't have to use the Ebay link if you're on here, just let me know.

Neil2

Neil2
Yes, I did. I took it out in early 2010 After buying the van in May 2009, I’ve since sold the van.
I just had a tuner put in mine too and the tech couldn't figure out how to remove the changer. Tried for quite awhile but thinks it's secured from the bottom. Can you advise?

I vaguely remember that it came out IN the deep plastic pocket that included the front bezel. I re-used the pocket to put phone/iPod in. We unhooked the cable while the radio was out and the pocket and all came out. I don’t remember it being a fight. Looking at the unit there are two holes in the rear of the bottom that definitely had screws threaded in them. They’re the top corners of the attached pic. I’d try to dig the bezel and all out, I imagine it was just screwed to the pocket/bezel.

Attachments

Neil2

Neil2
I vaguely remember that it came out IN the deep plastic pocket that included the front bezel. I re-used the pocket to put phone/iPod in. We unhooked the cable while the radio was out and the pocket and all came out. I don’t remember it being a fight. Looking at the unit there are two holes in the rear of the bottom that definitely had screws threaded in them. They’re the top corners of the attached pic. I’d try to dig the bezel and all out, I imagine it was just screwed to the pocket/bezel.
Hmm, I'm guessing you refer to the two outermost, empty, threaded holes? Any chance you could send me a pic of your bezel and/or pocket? I bought one from MB and it was an inch too wide to fit in the space the CD resides. It also didn't look as narrow as the one in my 2008.

You are correct about the holes. Attached are the only picture I could find. I sold the van in 2016. One is the before I started working on the day of the swap, the second (With a baby) is after. I do actually still have the scosche bezel that I bought from Crutchfield. It says 6390 and is definitely the same size as the disc changer hole. I didn’t use it because it was to replace the pocket, which meant I would have had a hole in my dash for things to get lost. That’s why I slid the old pocket back in (it just had holes in the back for cables, so I put an iPod connector through it.

I’m almost certain that you have to pull the entire deep plastic pocket out...you can’t pull the changer out of it.

You can have the bezel if it’d help. I can drop it in a usps flat rate padded mailer for 7.75 if you want. Just let me know.

Attachments

Neil2

Neil2
Hmm. Thanks for all the help. I appreciate it. Your changer/bezel are just like mine which means I should get ANOTHER parts guy at MB to find the CORRECT pocket for my van first. If I understand correctly, I need to remove the ashtray assembly then remove the entire bezel/changer assembly?

I don’t remember taking out the ashtray...but it has been 10 years. I had a guide from crutchfield but I don’t anymore. It might have told us how because it was just two knuckleheads with very little car stereo experience. The current bezel that’s stock is just the front of the pocket. I seriously think we just pried that whole thing out and the radio was screwed to that.

Top Bottom