Def fluid in Canada

Ok, so I just bought a 2015 170" cargo which I intend to eventually convert to camper. One of the first things I need to learn about is DEF fluid. I understand buying from Mercedes is probably the most expensive option. What brand is most popular and cost effective in Canada? Anybody use motomaster brand from Canadian Tire?

Winterbagoal

2018 Winnebago Navion 24V on a 2017 Cab Chassis
I refill at the truck stops nearby, and on the road. That way, I'm pretty sure it's fresh, and hasn't been tampered with. There have been some instances of consumer DEF products being purchased, used, and had the containers refilled with tap water and returned for a refund to the point of sale. The returned items wind up back on the shelf, and someone else buys it and winds up with a major problem. Maybe that's a rare situation, but I'd rather believe that the truck stop stuff is more than likely OK, because of the turnover rate.
If you'd rather use the jugs to refill, make sure you check them for tampering before you buy, and that the stuff is fairly fresh. I guess there's a date code on the jug somewhere, but I never use it, so I'm not sure.

cbaarch

2016 Unity MB
Anybody use motomaster brand from Canadian Tire?
CTC is fine - just get a new box that still has the seal. Just look for the ISO number that is in your manual.
Walmart is another source - they throw out all returns, based on BIL that worked at Walmart for years.
Lordco should have it, but I have not checked.

D

Deleted member 50714

Congratulations on your new purchase.

A few helpful tips.

if I just bought a used Sprinter, the first thing I'd do, change all the fluids, particularly the engine and tranny.

Proper fluids are expensive and seller may have saved money by using less expensive spec oil. Spec is 229.52.

Always vette any potential mechanic. Imperative they specialize in Mercedes. Otherwise, your wasting your money.

RTM, very important.

Get a Kruise Bottle, I've seen them on online for as low as $4.99. Mush easier than hoisting a 20 lb container with Water Wiggle for a sprout. Refill K bottle from bulk container. If you do spill any, rise immediately.

Do not allow the DEF low level warning activate or the dreaded "no start countdown" may follow requiring dealer reset.

By a scan gauge to monitor and avoid DPF regenerations. The photo shows EUP Exhaust Temp Upstream of DPF is regenerating over 1,200 degrees F. Normal, about 550F.

IMG_7490.JPG

Be aware of counterfeit parts.

Congratulations on your new purchase.

A few helpful tips.

if I just bought a used Sprinter, the first thing I'd do, change all the fluids, particularly the engine and tranny.

Proper fluids are expensive and seller may have saved money by using less expensive spec oil. Spec is 229.52.

Always vette any potential mechanic. Imperative they specialize in Mercedes. Otherwise, your wasting your money.

RTM, very important.

Get a Kruise Bottle, I've seen them on online for as low as $4.99. Mush easier than hoisting a 20 lb container with Water Wiggle for a sprout. Refill K bottle from bulk container. If you do spill any, rise immediately.

Do not allow the DEF low level warning activate or the dreaded "no start countdown" may follow requiring dealer reset.

By a scan gauge to monitor and avoid DPF regenerations. The photo shows EUP Exhaust Temp Upstream of DPF is regenerating over 1,200 degrees F. Normal, about 550F.

View attachment 150293

Be aware of counterfeit parts.

yep, first thing I got was the scangauge

Top Bottom