2004 MB Cruiser question

otis8

I recently started up the van after it had been setting for about a year (battery was dead, wouldn't start, charged battery) the check engine light came on but seemed to run fine. Turned it off and on again but light still there. I took it for a short drive (maybe 2 miles) and light still on. Parked it and about a week later was going to take it to get the codes read but when I started it this time the light was out so I took it for another short drive and it didn't seem to have full power. I was going to drive it in to see if any codes had been recorded but his time it didn't have much power at all and didn't seem to want to change gears. Any advise will be appreciated.

jrod5150

Take it to a mechanic with a scantool that has enhanced Mercedes software. Since the light was on, then went out the code will be stored in the cdi

otis8

From the Autel code look-up page this is

P0336 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance

And reading old posts containing this code the usual response is wiring damage to the Crankshaft Position Sensor.

Keith.
Thank you Keith, I will see if I can find any obvious wiring damage. I will also read through the old post you mentioned to see if there is anything else I should look for.

newroad

P Larson
If you take it to a Mercedes Dealer make certain they don't do the software up date. When I took mine in (2005 MB Cruiser). There is a recall on all these models and it makes your engine light stay on and your egr valve stay on. Check out all the issues folks have had in the T1 n forum "recall"section. It took me months to resolve and Mercedes Corp. would not help correct the issue.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The usual spot for wiring damage in a T1N was in the bend in the big bundle behind the fuel filter.
IT was tied (too) tightly to the engine and the pressure and vibration wore through the internal insulation.

WiringHarnessDamagel.jpg

Background info on the crank and cam position sensors (and lots of other stuff) is here: http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/T1N_service_scans/

And lots of info here (including service manuals): http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/

--dick

jrod5150

Crankshaft sensor code could be from from your dead/weak battery. Best to clear it and see if it returns. No need to dig through a wire harness yet. That’s like step 8 in the diagnosis tree :p:

otis8

Crankshaft sensor code could be from from your dead/weak battery. Best to clear it and see if it returns. No need to dig through a wire harness yet. That’s like step 8 in the diagnosis tree :p:
Sorry I forgot to let you know, I cleared the code and all is good. :)

Top Bottom