2014 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Adblue Tank Autopsy.

• Thread starter Deleted member 50714
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 50714

IMG_2392.JPGIMG_2394.JPGIMG_2396.JPG
2014 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Adblue tank autopsy.

I thought I had previously started a thread on this but couldn't find it???

This was Sailquik's determined by dealership defective, 2014 OM651 AdBlue tank.

Too lazy to research if there was a way to check the module outside vehicle. Doesn't matter, I was curious what was inside.

A cover plate could be fabricated to seal off the opening and tank re-purposed.

Anyway, sliced open to see what's inside and didn't see any white oxidation, none, zelch. Even after weeks sitting on
the bench.

The shiny cylindrical metal thingy coincides on the opposite side with the port with the broken bamboo sushi skewer.

Filler pipe has a plastic, spring loaded one-way flap. Something to consider while inserting suction tube into tank.
If the need to remove DEF fluid arises, suggest using something long and clean to hold flap open while removing suction tube.

I assume the squiggly plastic thing is the aluminum heater element, I sliced a chunk.

I don't understand how the DEF level sensor functions, input wanted???

NOx

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 50714

More pictures. Circuit board adjacent to connector.

Filter seems robust and multi layered with 18 pleates of unknown fabric sandwiched between layer of plastic screen with what appears an additional pre-filter.

Filter appeared clean and absent any observable crystallization.

Certainly not a user-friendly design. Filter goes kaput requires complete R&R of DEF tank. What are they running, $2200?

Still puzzled how DEF level sensor functions, Gurus??? IMG_2417.JPGIMG_2418.JPGIMG_2419.JPGIMG_2415.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 50714

My X-Ray vision isn't what it used to be. I grazed the back of Circuit board with the Sawz All. IMG_2403.JPG

D

Deleted member 50714

An access cover could be fabricated and tank re-purposes for sink grey water? Shame to just throw it away or recycle.

IMG_2611.JPG

turbo911

how many miles on unit. my sisters heater in the def took a crap at 7 year 56k miles. out of warranty and servicing dealer of the last 4 years is telling her to pound sand as far as goodwill is concerned. estimate for replacement is $2600. i am telling her the emissions warranty s/b in force and the dealer is saying the unit is a few months past and to call mercedes benz.

D

Deleted member 50714

how many miles on unit. my sisters heater in the def took a crap at 7 year 56k miles. out of warranty and servicing dealer of the last 4 years is telling her to pound sand as far as goodwill is concerned. estimate for replacement is $2600. i am telling her the emissions warranty s/b in force and the dealer is saying the unit is a few months past and to call mercedes benz.
My experience dealing with business and government bureaucrats, and have learned this from years of study by living among Master lmanipulator criminal types in their natural environment. I normally charged $750.00 and hour billed in 6 minutes increments for similar advice and I can't do this all day long.

Be as professional and polite as possible. This can't be over emphasized. Be so sweet, kind and lovable your MARK is at risk of
getting damn sugar diabetes.

Politeness over the phone cannot be over emphasized or exaggerated. Always began by asking, jotting down and using their name during the course of the conversation and commence by asking how their day is going.

This personalizes the new relationship and BTW, is a focus customer-group tested technique developed by leading consumer marketeers and employed throughout the hospitality industry.

Anyway, old fashion letter writing in my opinion is still an effective means of communicating.

Avoid ad hominem, keep your grievance-plea BRIEF, concise (one page).

Research applicable state warranties. California has a doozy.

This is not legal advice and I am a non-attorney forum member.

sailquik

Turbo 911,
The tank level gauge failed in the autopsied tank @ 180,287 miles.
The Sprinter (2014 516/3500 USA 170" wheelbase with OM-651 2.143 liter 4 cylinder and 7G-Tronic transmission) was new
on Sept. 25th, 2013 and the tank level gauge failed ~ Sept. 28, 2018.
180,287 miles and 5 years (almost to the day).
NO other issues beyond the DPF brackets which were replaced 3 times under warranty.
Replacement cost ($1462.00 (15% discount) plus $562.00 labor (4.5 hrs @ $125.88/ hr.), with $121.47 tax was $2145.97
Roger

D

Deleted member 50714

It is with great delight to announce information many may find interesting, some will find boring, and the reminder will just have no fuggin clue.

But first you must sit der fugg down, shut da fugg up, open your simple mind to learning and UNDERSTANDING and watch the video.

Top Bottom