White smoke, power loss

NielsonSprinter

Hey Everybody!

I've got a 2008 315 CDI and recently I've noticed it's been blowing out white smoke on the cold starts in the morning but the smoke usually goes away after a few minutes driving, I'm guessing it's condensation as there's usually either frost or alot of dew in the mornings but I've also noticed it's been a bit sluggish lately especially going up a hill, it doesn't drop back a gear to get up it just starts to die in the arse. Just wondering if anyone has ideas on what I should be looking for and if i could be wrong about the smoke and the two could be related. Any ideas would be much appreciated

Cheers

Eric Experience

Nielson,
Try holding a rag over the exhaust briefly then smell the rag to find out if it is fuel or water. I have the same model and it is coolant, I have not had time to replace the seal that is causing the problem. Eric

jaahn

Hi Nielson :)
Welcome ! Try Erics test and see what you think. However the two problems might be seperate. The classic common cause for lack of power with a diesel is the fuel filter clogged and the extra fuel required for more power cannot get through. Change the filter now instead of waiting.

Note the problems some people have with this. Check the threads by using the search function(top right corner). The problem is getting the hoses correctly fitted and not sucking air. Good luck :cool:
Jaahn

Sockeye770

I lately noticed the white smoke after a cold start in the morning on my 318.
I'm sure its just condensation.
It's not as bad as my old V8 work utes running on straight gas on a cold morning.
Gee I miss those days when everyone else on the road would give myself a wide distance on a cold morning.

NielsonSprinter

Nielson,
Try holding a rag over the exhaust briefly then smell the rag to find out if it is fuel or water. I have the same model and it is coolant, I have not had time to replace the seal that is causing the problem. Eric
Hey Eric, I did that this morning and there was a slight smell of fuel but that was all I could smell. Is that what yours was like?

NielsonSprinter

Hi Nielson :)
Welcome ! Try Erics test and see what you think. However the two problems might be seperate. The classic common cause for lack of power with a diesel is the fuel filter clogged and the extra fuel required for more power cannot get through. Change the filter now instead of waiting.

Note the problems some people have with this. Check the threads by using the search function(top right corner). The problem is getting the hoses correctly fitted and not sucking air. Good luck :cool:
Jaahn
I wouldn't have thought it be the fuel filter cause a new one was put in only 10 000kms ago but i have rego coming up so at the road worthy ill get old mate to check out the fuel filter. Cheers ?

Eric Experience

Nielson.
It will not be the filter, The amount of fuel passing through the filter is controlled by the gear pump and has no relationship with fuel used. If the smell is not strong it is most likely a seal in the exhaust gas re circulation system, I have not done mine yet so I do not know exactly which one. Eric.

NielsonSprinter

Nielson.
It will not be the filter, The amount of fuel passing through the filter is controlled by the gear pump and has no relationship with fuel used. If the smell is not strong it is most likely a seal in the exhaust gas re circulation system, I have not done mine yet so I do not know exactly which one. Eric.
Alrighty well that doesn't sound like something I can let slide for long, was hoping I could get by for a couple months while I'm working in Canberra instead of Melbourne where I know I have a reliable mechanic but guess not haha. Thanks Eric I'll try find someone to look into the EGR

Top Bottom