Help with 2010 Mercedes 2500- electric help

verymod

UPDATED!
I just bought a 2010 Mercedes Sprinter 2500, I fixed all mechanical and it runs great! It's prewired ( do not know if it works, the seller did not disclose that info) but I want to replace it all eventually. For now, I need to drive from Miami to NYC to clean out a storage unit before a deadline of July 25th. Can anyone help guide me on how to make the power work with the current system ( Xantrex) until I find someone to redo the whole rebuild for conversion. I want to redo the power system, solar, water, etc with everything new? I posted 5 pics here and some more in the comments section on this thread. I would like to get the outlets and ac to work to get to NYC and back to Miami with the current system. Thanks for any help! Michelle ?

Attachments

Last edited:

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
HI
I just bought a 2010 Mercedes Sprinter 2500, prewired but I want to replace it all. I need to drive from Miami to NYC to clean out a storage unit. Can anyone help guide me on how to make the power work with the current system until I find someone to redo the whole rebuild or the power system with everything new? also, I can't seem to upload simple images to this post:/ ! ? Thanks for any help! Michelle ?
You really need to supply a lot more information for anyone to be able to help.
Prewired for what? What do you intend to wire it for?
What sort of interim help are you looking for?
Does the Van currently run? If not, why not?

verymod

You really need to supply a lot more information for anyone to be able to help.
Prewired for what? What do you intend to wire it for?
What sort of interim help are you looking for?
Does the Van currently run? If not, why not?
UPDATED MY POST WITH PICS:) Only allows me to upload 5 pics, going to add the rest as a reply, or however I can figure it out.

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.
[...] Can anyone help guide me on how to make the power work with the current system ( Xantrex) until I find someone to redo the whole rebuild for conversion. [...] I would like to get the outlets and ac to work to get to NYC and back to Miami with the current system.
Assumptions I'm making based on a quick Internet search regarding the devices you have supplied photos of or information about:
  • The Xantrex 458 is an inverter/charger with a 2000 or 2500 watt capacity (depending on exact model).
  • The Dometic Penguin is a 13,500 BTU air conditioner/heater that requires as much as 1800 watts of power to operate.
  • Your Sprinter diesel engine can supply as much as 480 watts of electrical power in excess to what is needed to operate the vehicle.
Some questions:
  • What would you like use the outlets in the van to power (I assume 110VAC outlets) while on your trip? Will you use them while the van is being driven, or while stopped at night? Will the van be plugged into "shore power" while stopped at night?
  • How would you like to use the Dometic air conditioning? While stopped at night, or while driving on the road?
  • Does the van have a battery system separate from the vehicle's starter battery? (One isn't apparent in the pictures provided.)
The Dometic Penguin probably cannot be used to cool the vehicle while driving down the road using just the excess electrical power taken from the Sprinter engine; but it could probably be used while parked if the vehicle is plugged into "shore power".

The pictures show equipment that looks like it has had a hard service life, so original capacities/capabilities might not be available.

verymod

Wow! thanks for your in-depth response!
I would want to charge a laptop, cell phone, JBL small speaker, make a smoothie with a small bullet blender, use an induction single cooktop to warm up quick food or boil water, a small ac 120-volt fan, That's all I can think of ?
I would like to use it while the van is moving, obviously not going to make smooths or use induction cooktop while driving?
Since I will have a small dog and a cat in there I need to have it at cooler temperature.
As for the domectic ac I can turn it off and on to just regulate temp.... If I am away from the van I need the ac on at all times for the animals.
There only two batteries that are for the vehicle starter engine. I am landing a good deal on a LiFePO4 battery 12.8/300Ah - Smart Lithium Battery for demo. price from a marine shop in south florida.
I have never plugged into shore power, not sure if I will go to a campsite, may just go stealth.
As for: "The pictures show equipment that looks like it has had a hard service life, so original capacities/capabilities might not be available." I know ??‍♀... if I buy that battery, can I just connect it to that inverter?
Thanks so much! ?

marklg

I want to emphasize something here. You cannot run an air conditioner off batteries for any length of time, unless you have a whole bunch of them, many times more than you list, and it will likely not start with the inverters you list. Air conditioners take way too much power. If you are not at shore power, the only cost effective solution is to run it off a generator.

I would be concerned leaving pets in that situation. Things can fail, the generator can use up the fuel, carbon monoxide can leak. Someone can steal the generator with the noise drawing attention to it. You should at least have some sort of remote alarm for temperture and carbon monoxide that warns you to come back. In many states it is just illegal to leave animals in a vehicle, even if it is running with an AC.

Please reconsider that part of your plan.

Regards,

Mark

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.
Like Mark says, you are not going to be able to run that A/C unit off of battery, and you can't run it off the van's engine. Firing up a 110VAC generator or plugging into shore power is necessary.

A little calculation... A 300 amp-hour 12.8 volt LiFePo battery will get you about (300 amp-hours x 12 volts = 3600 watt-hours) IF you can get it charged all the way up AND you pull it all the way down to zero... more realistically figure about a max. of about 90% of that 3600 watt-hours or about 3200 watt-hours. On paper, that would run the A/C for a maybe an hour at best because the inverter adds an additional level of inefficiency, and the real world has a way of not reaching theoretical "on paper" calculations.

A/C (and electric heat) is about the most power hungry appliance people want to stick in vans, and many are surprised to find out just how much power it takes to run it. Boiling water and running an induction cooktop also are big power users (but not nearly as bad as A/C). How much you can use them will depend upon the exact appliances you are using, how long you run them, and how much battery storage capacity you have. I don't know about blenders; I suspect they can be used in moderation. In terms of your other uses, the laptop and cell phone charging is minimal power and if you have 12 volt chargers you don't even need the 110VAC capability. Many people try to use all 12V appliances in order to avoid inverter inefficiencies.

As far as connecting LiFePo batteries to the Xantrex 458, the manual that I found on-line indicates that it has pre-set charging for flooded lead acid, gel, and Absorbed Glass Matt (AGM) style batteries, but not LiFePo. LiFePo is different enough from these others that you shouldn't connect them up unless you are an expert and know how to accommodate the differences, and even then it would have compromises.

Your goals aren't too crazy (except for the A/C), but the devil is in the details for van electrical systems and you will need to get smart quickly in order to make smart choices about how to achieve them. There are a few threads on the forum that cover electrical issues... do some searching and some reading to start to get an idea what the considerations are, and what can be achieved with a moderate (200 to 300 amp-hour) battery storage system.

verymod

I want to emphasize something here. You cannot run an air conditioner off batteries for any length of time, unless you have a whole bunch of them, many times more than you list, and it will likely not start with the inverters you list. Air conditioners take way too much power. If you are not at shore power, the only cost effective solution is to run it off a generator.

I would be concerned leaving pets in that situation. Things can fail, the generator can use up the fuel, carbon monoxide can leak. Someone can steal the generator with the noise drawing attention to it. You should at least have some sort of remote alarm for temperture and carbon monoxide that warns you to come back. In many states it is just illegal to leave animals in a vehicle, even if it is running with an AC.

Please reconsider that part of your plan.

Regards,

Mark
ok, thanks so much for that info..... just to be clear as an animal rights activist I would never leave my animal companions in a car that is not suitable. they pretty much come first in my life. I am trying hard to get the solar and electrical replacement before my departure.

verymod

Like Mark says, you are not going to be able to run that A/C unit off of battery, and you can't run it off the van's engine. Firing up a 110VAC generator or plugging into shore power is necessary.

A little calculation... A 300 amp-hour 12.8 volt LiFePo battery will get you about (300 amp-hours x 12 volts = 3600 watt-hours) IF you can get it charged all the way up AND you pull it all the way down to zero... more realistically figure about a max. of about 90% of that 3600 watt-hours or about 3200 watt-hours. On paper, that would run the A/C for a maybe an hour at best because the inverter adds an additional level of inefficiency, and the real world has a way of not reaching theoretical "on paper" calculations.

A/C (and electric heat) is about the most power hungry appliance people want to stick in vans, and many are surprised to find out just how much power it takes to run it. Boiling water and running an induction cooktop also are big power users (but not nearly as bad as A/C). How much you can use them will depend upon the exact appliances you are using, how long you run them, and how much battery storage capacity you have. I don't know about blenders; I suspect they can be used in moderation. In terms of your other uses, the laptop and cell phone charging is minimal power and if you have 12 volt chargers you don't even need the 110VAC capability. Many people try to use all 12V appliances in order to avoid inverter inefficiencies.

As far as connecting LiFePo batteries to the Xantrex 458, the manual that I found on-line indicates that it has pre-set charging for flooded lead acid, gel, and Absorbed Glass Matt (AGM) style batteries, but not LiFePo. LiFePo is different enough from these others that you shouldn't connect them up unless you are an expert and know how to accommodate the differences, and even then it would have compromises.

Your goals aren't too crazy (except for the A/C), but the devil is in the details for van electrical systems and you will need to get smart quickly in order to make smart choices about how to achieve them. There are a few threads on the forum that cover electrical issues... do some searching and some reading to start to get an idea what the considerations are, and what can be achieved with a moderate (200 to 300 amp-hour) battery storage system.
Wow! thank you so much! that was super in-depth and great knowledge. I am getting informed by the second here! I am truly trying to get the whole system replaced with all Victron equipment before my departure. Hopefully, the wiring will work with the new system. Any insight on donating the current stuff? or do I just recycle?

marklg

Wow! thank you so much! that was super in-depth and great knowledge. I am getting informed by the second here! I am truly trying to get the whole system replaced with all Victron equipment before my departure. Hopefully, the wiring will work with the new system. Any insight on donating the current stuff? or do I just recycle?
There is a for sale forum at:

but if you just want to give back, just post a new thread offering the stuff for free. There are many very resourceful and very frugal people on here. I bet someone can put them to use.

Glad you value your animal companions so much. I'm in Arizona and there are so many stories of animals and babies left in a hot car to die. Just the idea that a failure could result in harm got me worried. Unfortunately, these vehicles are not failsafe. Stuff breaks all the time. It is not like a house. It constantly gets vibrated, frozen, cooked. It is basically like subjecting things to a constant earthquake. Almost every trip something goes wrong. Usually it is minor, but not always. I would never leave a living thing in a van assuming that the systems would continue to work. Stuff happens.

Regards,

Mark

verymod

ok great idea!! I can do that, once I'm ready! If I were to ever see an animal in a hot vehicle! you better believe there will be a brick thrown in there to the rescue! As well as exposing that individual for animal abuse. cheers to animal liberation! #defendanimals

Top Bottom