8500 mile roundtrip/TAT

bscopes

I am new here and did a brief search to see if anyone else has attempted this. Two friends are planning on riding the Trans American Trail on their dirtbikes and I am planning on taking my 2008 extended dually 3500 to run support for them. From what I have read MOST of the trail is passable in any vehicle until you cross into the surrounding area of the rockies. My van has 205,xxx on it, as of 2019 its gotten new turbo, trans, plugs, MAF, every piece of rubber replaced, and now intake manifolds.

Any helpful insigh

I can't help you with your specific route. A couple years ago we did our Out West trip in the 2006. Maybe 170,000 miles on the clock at the time. Everything went well. No problems. I will say that as we explored the Death Valley area there were times when I question why I was in an old truck out in such beautiful, but isolated and desolate country. Be prepared to think that once in a while.

As a basic suggestion I would recommend carrying a Sprinter specific scan tool that can access the TCM. TCM related LHM can lock your Sprinter into a 2nd gear and reverse drive only mode. The scan tool is needed to clear the TCM related DTC's and restore operation.

At least you'll have the bikes to get out to look for parts if they are needed.

Have fun.

:cheers: vic

bscopes

Thanks!
That is funny about parts because they are more worried about their bikes than the sprinter. Currently trying to see if I can get the samlex 1500w inverter charger in time as well.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
What exactly is your question?
Is it about making the trail with Sprinter, or
is it about Sprinter reliability, or
is it about preparing Sprinter for support?
What kind of support? Is it going to be potential tow vehicle, or mobile motel?
I always recommend driving DPF-equipped vehicles with monitoring scanner and now with the priced dropping to $50 there is really no good excuse to not own 1.

bscopes

Making most of the trail in the sprinter, support wise I think I know what I want to bring. I’ll order a monitor scanner.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
I went to beach campground with my truck camper 2 weeks ago and I was there 3 years ago.
In those years some access roads turned from sand into dust, where even all SUVs would get stuck. Only 4WD with locked differential and mud tires could make it without hesitation.
But I walk several of those roads and it all come to ca 100' stretches of dust, where some drivers simply took by high speed. I did it, but that cost me bend camper ties. But what makes me thinking, would I take my winch, having 150' of cable might not be fast, but would pull me there.
Sprinters do have front hitches available, while 4000 lb winch cost pennies. Think about it.
20200623_181356.jpg

Sounds like fun.... Here's a couple of things to consider...

The pace the motorcycles will be traveling will be significantly faster than the van. A "days ride" will be different. You might think about taking similar, but different routes. Have yourself a great time cruising the back roads and then meet up with the other riders at night or every day or two.

From trip reports I've read about the TAT there will be many, many places you just can't cross in the van. Back-tracking in a rig with a turning radius on par with the USS Eisenhower means you'll be prone to some rather interesting and potentially trip-ending "adventures". No fun if you're by yourself - great stories if you have some buddies with you.

I say go for it, but just be sure you're well-equipped,

...and post lots of pictures!!!

1594144538913.png 1594144710176.png
1594146025603.png 1594146764818.png
*** NOT me.

Mein Sprinter

Known member
I am new here and did a brief search to see if anyone else has attempted this. Two friends are planning on riding the Trans American Trail on their dirtbikes and I am planning on taking my 2008 extended dually 3500 to run support for them. From what I have read MOST of the trail is passable in any vehicle until you cross into the surrounding area of the rockies. My van has 205,xxx on it, as of 2019 its gotten new turbo, trans, plugs, MAF, every piece of rubber replaced, and now intake manifolds.

Any helpful insigh

Hi BSCOPES --I've done the TAT 2 times.... Once on a KLR 650 in 2012. Went from Jellico, TN (starting point) to Ark where I encountered bike problems and abandoned the trip. Then again in in my BMW 1200GS + sidecar. The moto and sidecar have me some width indications of passable entries but not the same as the Sprinter. Ended the trip in Salida, CO.

So never attempted the TAT via my current Sprinter as I do not have a 4x4. 4x4 isn't needed but seriously helps. Once in Oklahoma things might settle down unless it rains torrents. Be prepared to sit until the muds dry. Doing the genuine TAT through Colorado is Nada!

New member DSCHMIDT7of7 is certainly precisely right regarding some !@#$% routes, but its still FUN if you have additional personnel and ALL the ground stuff to get you over obstacles. Just in case of need, it's nice to have a SPOT locator in case of emergency

Get your TAT maps from:

1) Sam Correro, the founder: https://www.transamtrail.com

2) GPS Kevin: http://www.gpskevinadventurerides.com/trans-america-trail/trans-america-trail-compairson

Good Luck and have fun..... go, GO, GO

Cheers...

Last edited:

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
All I can say from my experience is that if that bridge will not stop Sprinter, than the mud pit certainly will.

bscopes

Thank you all, I had read the article about land rover taking the LR4s on the trail and noting that past MOAB its a no go for anything other than a serious 4x4. Going to be traveling with a friend so pictures will be plentiful.

Top Bottom