Fed ex T1N Sprinter buying advice

sheridan_blork

I'm thinking about getting this 2005 Dodge Sprinter 2500 but I'm a noobie to the van game and I'm in search of some advice

I'm wary of the high mileage and it being a fleet vehicle. I've done a bit of research and heard equal amounts of horror stories million mile success tales, so I'm a little conflicted on whether this is a good decision.
I know that it depends on the maintenance history rather than the mileage, but the seller doesn't have any service records except that it was owned and maintained by fedex. I also plan on getting it inspected by an independent mechanic.

My questions are...
Does anyone have any experience with fedex owned sprinters?
Does this seem like a fair price?
What specific issues should I look at when I take it for a test drive?

Any other advice you can think of is greatly appreciated!!

odix@yahoo.com

Sprinter fan
Other advice category: Some FedEx vehicles have speed governors. That may be something you want to override. A software issue.

Last edited:

DRTDEVL

Other advice category: Some ALL FedEx vehicles have speed governors. That may be something you want to override. A software issue.

FIFY

All FedEx Sprinters have a 65 mph governor set in the computer. Need DRB3-level scanner or a tune to eliminate it.

Do you ever plan on having more than one person in there? The passenger jump seat is unbearable after about 30 minutes on the road.

Due to the stop and go nature of their lives, a lot of them have a bad #4 overrunning clutch/sprag and will have a flare shift from 2-3. This won't harm a thing, just let out of it when that shift comes and then push down on the accelerator again.

There will be ZERO options. No radio. Crank windows. The ASR switch will not be present (wiring is there, though). The power lock button won't be present (once again, the wiring will be there). Many don't even have spare tires/racks. It will only have a 90 amp alternator. No Cruise Control, either.

They do, however, have a beefed-up suspension design that needs less maintenance in the long run.

A retired FedEx can be a great platform, as they were maintained well. The main issues are the lack of creature comforts and the nature of abuse they have taken.

jrod5150

FIFY

All FedEx Sprinters have a 65 mph governor set in the computer. Need DRB3-level scanner or a tune to eliminate it.

Do you ever plan on having more than one person in there? The passenger jump seat is unbearable after about 30 minutes on the road.

Due to the stop and go nature of their lives, a lot of them have a bad #4 overrunning clutch/sprag and will have a flare shift from 2-3. This won't harm a thing, just let out of it when that shift comes and then push down on the accelerator again.

There will be ZERO options. No radio. Crank windows. The ASR switch will not be present (wiring is there, though). The power lock button won't be present (once again, the wiring will be there). Many don't even have spare tires/racks. It will only have a 90 amp alternator. No Cruise Control, either.

They do, however, have a beefed-up suspension design that needs less maintenance in the long run.

A retired FedEx can be a great platform, as they were maintained well. The main issues are the lack of creature comforts and the nature of abuse they have taken.
Fed ex come standard with a 150 amp alternator, they all come with spare tires with the hangers, and most have REmanufactured transmissions. Out of 70 plus fed exers I’ve bought, reconditioned and sold I’ve only had 2 with 2/3 flare up. Jump seat can be removed and a full size passenger seat can easily be added. They come jack and tool kit delete.

fed exers get 5k oil change intervals with 90 day inspections. They replace parts with new EAC approved and Oe factory parts. Their doors are probably their weakest link obviously from all the door opening and closing. Mechanically they are typically superior to the consumer contractor private vans that are considered more of a wearable tool that only needs to stay on the road long enough for them to trade it in on their next van. T1Ns are still used in the fed ex corporate fleet

Last edited:

DRTDEVL

Fed ex come standard with a 150 amp alternator, they all come with spare tires with the hangers, and most have REmanufactured transmissions. Out of 70 plus fed exers I’ve bought, reconditioned and sold I’ve only had 2 with 2/3 flare up. Jump seat can be removed and a full size passenger seat can easily be added. They come jack and tool kit delete.

fed exers get 5k oil change intervals with 90 inspections. They replace parts with new EAC approved and Oe factory parts. Their doors are probably their weakest link obviously from all the door opening and closing. Mechanically they are typically superior to the consumer contractor private vans that are considered more of a wearable tool that only needs to stay on the road long enough for them to trade it in on their next van. T1Ns are still used in theFB fed ex corporate fleet
Hmm... Interesting. All of the FedEx vans I looked at (or owned) had the 90 amp alternator. They also did not have the ESPAR. Perhaps they have different packages for different regions? I was looking in the PHX market, as most vehicles seem a bit cheaper there than other places in the southwest.

Axiom

Mike from Florida Van Man
You can fix much of the shortcomings of the FedEx van...

1. Second real passenger seat can be added by installing the seat base out of a parts van, have yet to try adding passenger airbag.
2. Radio can be added, you're probably rolling your own sound system in your T1N ANYWAY...
3. The wiring is there for ABS and power lock buttons, I believe you also get a fob with it.
4. Power Windows can be added:
5. Cruise Control can be added but requires a dealer scanner.
6. The 65mph limiter is good IMO, but I can undo it with my DAS along with anyone else who has one.
7. That wall is SWEEEEEEET! The bank rollers on the door are so smooth, unfortunately we took the wall and door out because the person we sold the van to didn't want them. If I were purchasing a T1N FedEx to convert, I'd try and keep the wall and integrate it into something.

The FedEx vans we've seen have been rough body wise, but the engines are always good and strong sounding. The one we looked at had oil in its coolant reservoir and a dead battery. Once the battery was charged a bit, it started RIGHT up and purred like a kitten. We drove it 150+ miles home and replaced the oil cooler fixing the problem.

We know this van was cared for though because FedEx had left us plenty of silver marker notes all over parts/inside the engine compartment. Overall I'd probably buy another FedEx van.

The downside of course being: the rocker panel was not very nice on this van, paint was kind of dingy, fan didn't work, and of course previous owner left most of his crap in the cargo area.

Here in Florida they come with air conditioning btw.....

Last edited:

jrod5150

Hmm... Interesting. All of the FedEx vans I looked at (or owned) had the 90 amp alternator. They also did not have the ESPAR. Perhaps they have different packages for different regions? I was looking in the PHX market, as most vehicles seem a bit cheaper there than other places in the southwest.
Espar is a no that is correct but the non fedex vans I buy never have working espar’s or maybe I just don’t know how to use them :LOL: I have only purchased units from California, Nevada and Arizona. I have an original window sticker from a FedEx van I should snap a pic and post it.

jrod5150

You can fix much of the shortcomings of the FedEx van...

1. Second real passenger seat can be added by installing the seat base out of a parts van, have yet to try adding passenger airbag.
2. Radio can be added, you're probably rolling your own sound system in your T1N ANYWAY...
3. The wiring is there for ABS and power lock buttons, I believe you also get a fob with it.
4. Power Windows can be added:
5. Cruise Control can be added but requires a dealer scanner.
6. The 65mph limiter is good IMO, but I can undo it with my DAS along with anyone else who has one.
7. That wall is SWEEEEEEET! The bank rollers on the door are so smooth, unfortunately we took the wall and door out because the person we sold the van to didn't want them. If I were purchasing a T1N FedEx to convert, I'd try and keep the wall and integrate it into something.

The FedEx vans we've seen have been rough body wise, but the engines are always good and strong sounding. The one we looked at had oil in its coolant reservoir and a dead battery. Once the battery was charged a bit, it started RIGHT up and purred like a kitten. We drove it 150+ miles home and replaced the oil cooler fixing the problem.

We know this van was cared for though because FedEx had left us plenty of silver marker notes all over parts/inside the engine compartment. Overall I'd probably buy another FedEx van.

The downside of course being: the rocker panel was not very nice on this van, paint was kind of dingy, fan didn't work, and of course previous owner left most of his crap in the cargo area.

Here in Florida they come with air conditioning btw.....
Yes das/xentry can remove the governor. The pocket door is great especially for here in LA where theft is out of control. pocket door keeps the cargo area pretty secure and you don’t need the door swing space. Airbag there is no dash wiring for it. I’m sure it can be done but would be a lot of work.

Alphacarina

2006 Itasca Navion 23H
I would want some sort of proof that it's actually an old FedEx van. This one has a hazard cargo placard on the front bumper and a camera on the top rear - Do many FedEx vans come equipped that way? If I had an old van to sell with nearly 500K on it, I *might* claim is was a FedEx van so prospective buyers would think it's been better cared for than it actually was. Also, it's advertised as a Dodge, but it's clearly got a Mercedes hood and grille. Kelly Blue Book says $5K is at the very upward end of it's value, so it better drive 'right' . . . . at least it's not rusty, or at least it doesn't appear to be

Don

jrod5150

I would want some sort of proof that it's actually an old FedEx van. This one has a hazard cargo placard on the front bumper and a camera on the top rear - Do many FedEx vans come equipped that way? If I had an old van to sell with nearly 500K on it, I *might* claim is was a FedEx van so prospective buyers would think it's been better cared for than it actually was. Also, it's advertised as a Dodge, but it's clearly got a Mercedes hood and grille. Kelly Blue Book says $5K is at the very upward end of it's value, so it better drive 'right' . . . . at least it's not rusty, or at least it doesn't appear to be

Don
Yes the hazard on the front bumper and the camera are factory. That’s a Midwest fed ex van for sure it has the sand box things in the back and the letter burn marks on the side

Duncan_C

Espar is a no that is correct but the non fedex vans I buy never have working espar’s or maybe I just don’t know how to use them :LOL: I have only purchased units from California, Nevada and Arizona. I have an original window sticker from a FedEx van I should snap a pic and post it.
Espar is regional for their orders for sure. I've looked at some Ex-Fed-Ex T1Ns up here in Canada and they have had the Espar.

Top Bottom