Leavitt Lake

PeteD

Anyone taken their Sprinter to Leavitt Lake in Stanislaus National Forest? I’m curious how your rig handled the forest/4x4 road up. Thanks

my_vw_sucks

8CF65B97-EE28-4B01-B7D6-498CA3E51F51.jpeg

Made it! Forgot to turn of the traction control. But after I figured that out it wasn’t an issue. Van is on stock suspension with 275/70r17 BFG KO2s

PeteD

@my_vw_sucks Fantastic! Did you run into any situations with low branches, etc. where the high roof presented a problem? Any other advice you could provide?

my_vw_sucks

@my_vw_sucks Fantastic! Did you run into any situations with low branches, etc. where the high roof presented a problem? Any other advice you could provide?
No low branches. On the first stream crossing I hit the right rear of my Vancompass step. If I had been more careful could have avoided it. Low range was helpful on the technical section with ESP off. There is a section where the right side of the trail is washed out and off camber towards the ditch where you feel pretty tippy. Avoid the rocks on the left and it’s fine.

Mein Sprinter

Known member
@my_vw_sucks... Curious!? We've installed AgileOffroads "RIP" kit. This has raised the Van to about 2-3" plus 265 tires. We have always attempted many roads like what you did in your 4x4 without much problems. Ours is a 2x4 and would love to make an attempt and camp there as well as fly fish. Just to let you know that we have been to places most Sprinter drivers on this forum haven't been: Alaska, Haida Gwaii, Inuvik, NWT, Labrador, Newfoundland, etc. So we're not leery of these Leavitt lake roads BUT would you say that these roads are way too brutal for a 2x4?? Thank you.

Cheers..

my_vw_sucks

@Mein Sprinter hard to say. I’m new to the Sprinter off road. There were no 2 wheel drive vehicles a the lake. There were a number of spots where the van struggled to get traction. If you are going to try it I would recommend going with another vehicle with adiquate recovery gear.

Here’s a short video my buddy put together. There’s a short clip of one of gnarlier sections at around 3:40. You can see me getting out of the van contemplating on whether I should turn back or not ?.

Also, on the way back there was a section where I was on two wheels, driver front/pass rear. It did require throttle to get out of it. Not sure how 2wd would do in such a situation. I wish I had stopped for a pic, but there were 3 trucks waiting for me to get through.

Last edited:

Mein Sprinter

Known member
my_vw_sucks: Great video by your buddy.... and I can see where it would be helpful in regard to having some assist vehicle in case the 2x4 bogs down. Too many undercarriage appendages: large 16# propane tank; grey water tank; fresh water tank..these stick out somewhat even though I had the Van raised. Aarrgghh.. really wanna do this! Thank you for your advice and guess we'll keep just watching videos of others scaling Leavitt Lake and dream on.

Cheers...

Last edited:

PeteD

@my_vw_sucks Thanks for posting the video. Gives me a better understanding of the trail. Looks doable, I’ll just need to work my way up to it :)

Saw the bumper tap you referenced in your first post at the end of the video - any damage?

my_vw_sucks

@my_vw_sucks Thanks for posting the video. Gives me a better understanding of the trail. Looks doable, I’ll just need to work my way up to it :)

Saw the bumper tap you referenced in your first post at the end of the video - any damage?
Yeah, the VC step is bent just a bit on the right. Thankfully hard to see without careful inspection.

Top Bottom