Looking to buy a 2014

bigb

2011 Winnebago Via 25Q on 2010 3500 Tucson, AZ
I am looking at a 2014 3500 (V-6 diesel) chassis motor home tomorrow about two hours from me. I have a few questions. First, what is a good scanner I should be looking at? I presently have Torque Pro and AutoEnginuity but I do not have any Sprinter software for the AutoEnginuity. For VAG I bought OBDeleven, is there a similar product for Sprinter? Is it possible to look at the DPF ash load with a scanner, and if so how much is too much?

I also have questions about the DPF, does the Sprinter tell you when it is in regen? How often does it typically regen in highway driving? The VW does not tell you other than the idle increases to 1,000 RPM and the electric fan stays on after shut down if you were in a regen so I monitor it with a couple phone apps to make sure I don't interrupt them when possible.

Anything I should know, or look for on the 2014? It has 58,000 miles on it currently. One thing the owner told me is that he took it to Mercedes to get the transmission fluid changed, which may or may not be an issue, I am wondering what made him do that? Maybe he experienced shifting issues and took it in. He bought it from a dealer in Ohio and drove it to Arizona to visit his daughter but now says he doesn't want to drive it back due to his age so he is selling it and will fly back. His wife may have something to do with that decision, or else there is a problem with the unit. I am hoping a Mercedes dealer can pull the service history for me, or even Carfax.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Last edited:

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
This scanner reads a lot on my Sprinter, including regeneration history and current status.
V6 engines do have higher maintenance items like oil cooler seals and intake flaps that needs cleaning.
Do your homework so you won't be surprised when times come.

Rob S

2018 Navion 24G IQ on 2016 Sprinter
2014 has the early and failure prone super-expensive DEF system, so if there are any emissions related codes showing I would steer clear.

That being said, being an RV, there are many other important considerations, such as overall condition etc, and if you have access to a good sprinter dealer and are prepared to spend a few thousand on possible repairs for those emissions systems, it might conceivably still be worthwhile.

If repair history is available, see if Nox sensors or other def system parts have been replaced recently. If so, the newer versions are better.

ptheland

2013 144" low top Passgr
I also have questions about the DPF, does the Sprinter tell you when it is in regen?
No.

How often does it typically regen in highway driving?
The Sprinter will trigger a regen when the soot load hits a certain level, or every 900 kilometers (about 560 miles), whichever comes first. In mostly highway driving, it will be the 560 mile trigger rather than the soot load. It takes a fair amount of city driving for the soot trigger.

The VW does not tell you other than the idle increases to 1,000 RPM and the electric fan stays on after shut down if you were in a regen so I monitor it with a couple phone apps to make sure I don't interrupt them when possible.
Interrupting a regen is only an issue if it happens a lot. If you plan on mainly highway driving, I wouldn't worry about the occasional interruption. The regen will start again the next time you drive the vehicle.

Anything I should know, or look for on the 2014? It has 58,000 miles on it currently.
The factory maintenance schedule doesn't call for even checking the DPF ash level until you get to 100,000 miles, then every 10,000 after that. So Mercedes has determined that checking the fill level the DPF before that mark isn't worth the effort. They simply don't fill up that fast.

One thing the owner told me is that he took it to Mercedes to get the transmission fluid changed, which may or may not be an issue, I am wondering what made him do that? Maybe he experienced shifting issues and took it in.
Why don't you ask him. It could be as benign as doing it because his first car back in the 1960s called for tranny fluid changes every 50k miles, so that's what he does for every car since then.

He bought it from a dealer in Ohio and drove it to Arizona to visit his daughter but now says he doesn't want to drive it back due to his age so he is selling it and will fly back.
So he's not the original owner? He's at least second?

His wife may have something to do with that decision, or else there is a problem with the unit.
Or he may have decided he hates driving a big vehicle. Or hates camping. Or maybe he's telling the truth and isn't going to use it because of age related issues.

bigb

2014 has the early and failure prone super-expensive DEF system, so if there are any emissions related codes showing I would steer clear.

That being said, being an RV, there are many other important considerations, such as overall condition etc, and if you have access to a good sprinter dealer and are prepared to spend a few thousand on possible repairs for those emissions systems, it might conceivably still be worthwhile.

If repair history is available, see if Nox sensors or other def system parts have been replaced recently. If so, the newer versions are better.
Thanks. I read somewhere that Mercedes extended the emissions warranty to 10 years, is that true?

bigb

Interrupting a regen is only an issue if it happens a lot. If you plan on mainly highway driving, I wouldn't worry about the occasional interruption. The regen will start again the next time you drive the vehicle.
I don't worry about the missed regen because I know that it will catch up on the next drive cycle, what I don't like is shutting down when exhaust/DPF & turbo are at regen temps

Why don't you ask him. It could be as benign as doing it because his first car back in the 1960s called for tranny fluid changes every 50k miles, so that's what he does for every car since then.

So he's not the original owner? He's at least second? He says he is the second owner but he bought from a dealer.

Or he may have decided he hates driving a big vehicle. Or hates camping. Or maybe he's telling the truth and isn't going to use it because of age related issues. He says he's been camping in all manner of rigs for 50 years.
My red flag is that he just bought this rig recently in Ohio, drove it to Tucson, had the transmission serviced then put it up for sale. Could be as you say but I need to see the service report and at least try to pull generic codes with my TP.
Thanks for your help:cheers:

Last edited:

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
I am looking at a 2014 3500 (V-6 diesel) chassis motor home tomorrow about two hours from me. I have a few questions. First, what is a good scanner I should be looking at? I presently have Torque Pro and AutoEnginuity but I do not have any Sprinter software for the AutoEnginuity. For VAG I bought OBDeleven, is there a similar product for Sprinter? Is it possible to look at the DPF ash load with a scanner, and if so how much is too much?

I also have questions about the DPF, does the Sprinter tell you when it is in regen? How often does it typically regen in highway driving? The VW does not tell you other than the idle increases to 1,000 RPM and the electric fan stays on after shut down if you were in a regen so I monitor it with a couple phone apps to make sure I don't interrupt them when possible.

Anything I should know, or look for on the 2014? It has 58,000 miles on it currently. One thing the owner told me is that he took it to Mercedes to get the transmission fluid changed, which may or may not be an issue, I am wondering what made him do that? Maybe he experienced shifting issues and took it in. He bought it from a dealer in Ohio and drove it to Arizona to visit his daughter but now says he doesn't want to drive it back due to his age so he is selling it and will fly back. His wife may have something to do with that decision, or else there is a problem with the unit. I am hoping a Mercedes dealer can pull the service history for me, or even Carfax.

Thanks for any and all advice.
As far as the trannie fluid change, it was done a bit on the late side (Folks seem to do it anywhere from 40k to 60k) but it definitely was a good thing to have done.
Regens take place at least every approximately 550 miles, which is the default, if the parameters haven't required it sooner.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Thanks. I read somewhere that Mercedes extended the emissions warranty to 10 years, is that true?
It depends on the state and I think California is a leader here who require 8 years/100k miles warranty on emission systems. That is from top of my head, so don't quote me on this.

bigb

Another concern of mine is some of these used rigs are 6-8 years old with barely 20K on them, is it a concern considering the shelf life of DEF can be as little as a year in certain climates?

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
I read DEF life can be just few months when in triple-digits temperatures, yet my vehicles drive in triple digits about 10 months a year and even some of them are used only seasonally, I did not experience the issue yet.
But I have spare car that wasn't moved for over a year, so I plan to siphon DEF from it and put on one driven more often.
I found cardlock station who sells DEF for about $2/gallon just 5 miles away from my home and on our common route, so I keep DEF levels low and refill 1/2 when warning comes.

bigb

My TDI sees daily triple digits here in SW AZ, wasn't a problem when driving at least 10K a year but I may not be driving it as much in the future so I plan to only put in 1 gal at a time. I did a little more research and I see the Sprinter has a DEF tank drain so not too concerned now, as long as everything is in good order when I buy.

Top Bottom