Solving a few issues on a new to me '06 2500

Duckmang

Qualified Personel
Bought this 06 sight unseen since there were none in the local Denver market. Had a friend that was gonna drive it out for me but when he got to the dealer the brakes were so poor he refused. Fast forward... they worked on it and said it was better. It wasn't, but my driver put 1700 mi on it anyway bringing it to Denver. Pleasantly surprised at the condition it arrived in, excepting the brakes.

I'm a MB tech so figured I'd see what options the factory SDS diagnostic system had for bleeding the brakes, because I know the used car dealer tech struggled with it. Turns out that the ESP module has a procedure called "Exceptional Bleeding". Figured that there was nothing to lose but brake fluid so I ran through the process. It has you pump the brakes while it cycles the ABS pump on and off, all with the bleeder screw open. It didn't say to but I did the process with the power bleeder connected and set to 2 bar just for good measure. Happy to say that this improved the sinking brake pedal feel by about 50%. I think it could still be better, but it is at least not terrifying to drive any more. I still want to get some ABS activation but I don't have a good place to get it to break traction. On some of the ESP equipped Mercedes it takes sliding on the ABS in reverse to get them to fully bleed out. I figure its worth a try on the Sprinter too. Easier said than done though.

With the SDS connected I also took a look at the injector classification. The motor runs great but at a hot idle it sounds like one cylinder was hitting harder than the others. Thought maybe an injector got replaced and not coded. Strangely enough, the injector classifications were in an un-initialized state. All 5 read AAAAAE. I went ahead and pulled the cover off the motor and coded the module for the injectors. Everything looked great up top, no sign of black death or oil leaks. With injectors coded, the idle seems to have more of a rolling clack v/s the rhythmic single cylinder ping it had.

As I figure out more problems and issues, I'll keep this thread updated.

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
For longevity many pull the injectors and have them tested/rebuilt. Bad Ones famously destroy engines. It appears after 250,000 miles that is a good idea. But expensive. If you are still getting soft pedal your MC may be on its way out....all this is related to mileage.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Another rare issue that can cause soft pedal is a failed solenoid seal on the abs valve body. It can let air into the block over time.

With the engine off, pump the brakes until the pedal is firm, and then hold with most of your weight. If it doesn't sink, then the MC is probably fine.

The sprinters brake booster isn't very linear, so it can feel spongy, but still brake fine.

Duckmang

Qualified Personel
It has 168K on the odometer. The dealer changed the master and abs pump with another used one trying to get in deliverable shape. When I did the bleeding procedure I was in the driver's seat pumping the pedal so I couldn't see what was coming through the lines but given that there was a marked improvement I feel it has to be on the right track. Still haven't been able to slide it on the ABS in reverse. It is surprising how much difference it makes in the passenger cars on certain years of ESP.

Axiom

Mike from Florida Van Man
Post sound of engine noise? We are too familiar with that sound of one hitting harder than the others or fading into a "rolling clack"....
FWIW this van gets 24-26mpg (if I drive it) and has sounded like this since the day we started it over two years ago. It also doesn't stumble anymore.

Boot103

UK 2004 416CDI T1N 4x4 ZG3
Another rare issue that can cause soft pedal is a failed solenoid seal on the abs valve body. It can let air into the block over time.

With the engine off, pump the brakes until the pedal is firm, and then hold with most of your weight. If it doesn't sink, then the MC is probably fine.

The sprinters brake booster isn't very linear, so it can feel spongy, but still brake fine.

Any way to test that ABS solenoid?

Top Bottom