radio harness illumination connection

white whale

Nothing in other threads to answer this question. i just figured out why a feature on my newer JVC deck never worked.
This is one of those ones that has the custom colour configs for the buttons and zones --- . You can set a daytime and a nighttime colour scheme.
I just thought i was mucking up the setup somehow - i thought the switch would happen via the clock. No. Is triggered with the lights being switched on. Or in my case turning the stick to get the dash lights on.

There is an orange line coming off the factory harness, the radio harness has an orange /white line that is called the illumination connector. This is apparently what will make the switch
work between the two colour schemes. Just tried and I get no action from this. The orange into factory male harness side hooks up to a grey line. Would be a nice feature to get working. Did the original sound 10 have extra illumination when you turned on the lights?

Any ideas?

white whale

yes that looks like the one I'm connecting to. Connection off the back looked solid. Maybe second attempt needed. I put the rats nest of wires back in already.

Alphacarina

2006 Itasca Navion 23H
I would try using +12 from the cigarette lighter applied to the orange/white wire on the radio harness and see if that gets you a switch from the day to night settings. Assuming that works, now you need to find a wire in the van's harness which only has +12 when the lights are switched on and you'll have solved your problem. Maybe you already have it wired that way and it's the fault of the radio and not the van, but the above test will tell you for sure

Don

white whale

might have to revive old thread where I was looking for a just an on / off switch I could plunk into the empty spots on the panel. Just manual on off would be ok too. But good to do a 12V test first. What switches would have gone into the 4 spots on the dash board ? I have the defrost and the headlight angler, so 2 open.

Alphacarina

2006 Itasca Navion 23H
You won't need a new switch. Worst case scenario would be you'd have to grab 12 volts from one of the lighting circuits, assuming you can't find that in the dash plug. Maybe you can locate a wire under the dash for the dash lights, but if not, you can always tie in to +12 from the parking lights and run a wire to your radio

Don

Top Bottom