Folding Bed

waverider

VS30 4x4 (Santa Cruz)
I'm wondering if anyone has ever made a folding bed similar to the mockups attached? I'm thinking of something like this for my bed setup but want to hear if others have tried anything similar with success for not?

Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 2.56.59 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-07-01 at 2.57.14 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-07-01 at 2.57.27 PM.png

Last edited:

borabora

I have no experience with it. Would it work? Probably. I'd think that even with fairly thick plywood and a very heavy-duty hinge the platform would sag a bit in a v-shape which is not desirable. The entire things also looks fairly heavy and unwieldy. Which way is the sleeping direction -- sideways or lengthwise? The sag would be worse if you are sleeping lengthwise.
There are many creative and innovative platform designs out there using aluminum, steel or wood. I think one of the simplest designs just uses 1x4 wood slats. Lighter than plywood and allows your mattress to breathe. How to make a slat design removable and convenient is the trick here...
The other question is what happens to the mattress in this design? Even a thin mattress takes up a huge amount of space.

flyag1

I'm wondering if anyone has ever made a folding bed similar to the mockups attached? I'm thinking of something like this for my bed setup but want to hear if others have tried anything similar with success for not?

View attachment 145462View attachment 145463View attachment 145464
Yes I built the exact bed and it works great. I sold that Van last year so don't have current photos, but search the form for my post as I think there are photos posted here. If you can't find the photos ping me direct and I see if I can find the photos on my phone.

MTGJR1

I'm considering a similar design. To allow for use of a thinner mattress, will be experimenting with a flexible platform suspended in 8020 frame. Picture a mesh sheet suspended by elastic cord like a zero-gravity chair.

Attachments

flyag1

I have no experience with it. Would it work? Probably. I'd think that even with fairly thick plywood and a very heavy-duty hinge the platform would sag a bit in a v-shape which is not desirable. The entire things also looks fairly heavy and unwieldy. Which way is the sleeping direction -- sideways or lengthwise? The sag would be worse if you are sleeping lengthwise.
There are many creative and innovative platform designs out there using aluminum, steel or wood. I think one of the simplest designs just uses 1x4 wood slats. Lighter than plywood and allows your mattress to breathe. How to make a slat design removable and convenient is the trick here...
The other question is what happens to the mattress in this design? Even a thin mattress takes up a huge amount of space.
As you can see in the photos we used a 6" memory foam mattress and frame built out of 3/4" light weight sq tubing. I used an air spring to help lift the bed into the stored position. My wife was able to fold it down and back up with 1 hand. Absolute no sagging and we sleep lengthwise.

Attachments

Axiom

Mike from Florida Van Man
Different design, but similar concept folding bed. Doubles for use as a desk. In a T1N SHC 158"

Outlookela

Yes I did.
The geometry is not simple, but I love having my bed folded away. And its nice and long.
I have low cabinets over the wheel wells. Main part of the bed is 1/2" plywood mounted to cabinet with piano hinge. No framing. I use a 5" cheap foam mattress. Could be better, but I have no issue with it.
A fold away bed is good if you are concerned about rain or snow blowing onto your blanket (I am), sometimes host business meetings in your van (I do) cherish your rear door access (I do).
I rented a van with a panel bed and ended up never making the bed, to me it was a pain getting up there on your knees tucking in the corners (OMG). Much easier for me to fold the whole smoz away with sheets and blankets intact. But a panel bed does give you tons of storage below. But then it is cramped above if you make it high enough for bikes. NOthing is perfect though. Just compromises/

portlander

I'm very interested in a similar concept. I'd like to fit a couch full time, a table when needed, and a queen bed lengthwise when needed.

I was imagining a murphy bed, which a couch placed at the base along the same side as the murphy bed. The murphy bed would fold down and rest in part on the arms of the couch. I'm not yet sure how the table would be integrated into the plan, but ideally, it would swing out to be useable while sitting in the couch. Then, it would fold away somewhere.

The design objective is allow unobstructed passage from the side door to the rear door in order to carry a sheet of plywood or bulky furniture. But, that would also be useable as a sleeping space for my wife and I. Lastly, the couch would be a permanent fixture that would be a comfortable place to lounge when the bed wasn't in use.

I've been surprised that there are so few designs of this sort in the van conversion world thus far. This is the first thread I've seen that broaches this type of design idea. I really appreciate seeing Flyag1 and Axiom's designs. I'd love to see some more examples of this. Has anyone seen any other designs that would accomplish these design objectives?

PhilipE

Portlander. On my build I made a sofa bed. I have not did a build out thread on this site. I haven't posted any pic's of the finished sofa bed online yet. Give me a day to post some pic's of the sofa/ bed I built.

portlander

PhilpE, yes, I'd like to see what you've done.

Outlookela, you too. Could you post a couple images of your foldaway bed?

PhilipE

s34.jpgs35.jpgs36.jpg

Here you go Portlander. The bed moves by 12 volt linear actuator. Upper part is 32". Lower part is 24". Its mounted on 30" 500 lb rated drawer slides that are non-locking. The mattress's are 5.5" memory foam. In the down position the bed has 50" of sleeping room.

With the bed retracted there is 18" from front of bed to those cabinets to the left. More than enough room to move around in comfort. The first cabinet door on the left side cabinet drops down to made a table.

Last edited:

portlander

PhilipE, that’s very cool! If it’s ready to show, could you post an image with the table dropped out? I’m curious to see how the geometry of the table would work when siting on the couch.

PhilipE

Here you go Portlander. s37.jpg

If you notice the door is slanted down a little to far. I need to make something to raise it up level. I have not decided how I am going to do it yet. I have a couple of options. Just haven't decided on which way to go. I parked the wife in there for a sizing tool. LOL

gs850gx

Hi Portlander,

I did folding beds as well but they don't fold to just one side. You can see the details here: Bed

I originally thought I would drop the table from the underside of the passenger side bed but instead found that my folding table worked well there. The folding table can be used at 2 places inside the van as well as outside, needs to be stowed during travel though.

D

portlander

I wanted to share an image of what I ultimately did with my layout.

My goal was fundamentally have to a highly functional day to day vehicle for full time use around town, which would allow me to carry plywood and furniture etc. But, to also have a van that could be used for weekend warrior trips, more extensive camping/living (weeks at a time), and some stealth camping if needed.

This bench slides out to the right to a queen sized bed.

I used aluminum shelving, and steel for the bed frame and kitchen structure, with bamboo as the finish material throughout. Milk crates are the primary storage solution to which we designed the shelving size. Crates are also used for seats, and there's a 2' x 3' table that pops out from the right side that comfortably sit two people.

If people want more images, I can take some.

IMG_6811.jpg

jpg40

I don't see why what you have pictured would not work. I'd suggest modeling in the mattress as well since you'll need a place to put it.

I wanted to build similar to what you have pictured, but after numerous revisions ended up with the layout below because it allowed for more flexibility (mine is a 140" T1N). The expandable beds slats will be around 36 lbs, and 42"X42", so a manageable size for quick removal (also need to figure out how to make it look less like a Pallet!)

Priorities for me were:
1. Ability to remove bed for cargo in one minute or less by one person. Parts light and compact enough to be manageable.
2. Lounge mode for use during the day without taking up galley space
3. Expandable bed slats to extend sleeping area to 75" at night.

All that being said, I have yet to build and install, so all I can say for now is that it works in CAD ;)

Stored Bed.jpgLounge1.jpgSleep mode.57.jpg

Attachments

marky

I have made fold up beds for two vans. One is 76" long bench seat of which the back swings up to create a bunk. Cushions 4" thick memory foam with a cover. The bottom bed is wide enough two lively people. Make fittd sheets with the bottom and top sheets sewn together on the outboard side. In a couple of minutes it goes from seat to beds. On another van the beds fold up into the passenger side of the van leaving you with a lot open floor space for gear. The bed panels are made of 1/4" hardwood plywood with 1" thick internal grid glued together making very ridge strong but light weight bed panel.

Attachments

Top Bottom