DPF on a sprinter sitting in a dealership for two years

hollynomates

Hi again,

I'm still hunting for a good base Sprinter to build out. I've shied away from a cheaper but suspect 2006 and have found a 2008 at the upper limit of my budget. I test drove it and other than the brakes it seems good, with some minor rust in the little indents in the body that I'm happy to deal with if everything else checks out. At the moment I have it booked for a very thorough $400 inspection but before I take it there, I wanted to check in here. I ran the VIN and it's been transferred between dealerships for the past two years. I think no one has bought it because they are asking too much, and it's a 144 which is not very common here and probably of less interest to people wanting work vans. I mostly see 170s and extendeds. I believe it's just bounced between two yards nearby owned by the same company. I did most of my research on T1Ns so the emissions standards on the NCVs confuse and worry me. I don't want to be driving through a remote part of the country and have extremely expensive issues. From what I understand the 2007-2010s need to be taken on highways regularly to let the filter clean itself otherwise it can cause issues. I really doubt the dealership did much more than a bit of city driving once a month and lots of idling.

My questions are: 1) am I right about the DPF? And 2) is it worth a $400 inspection or is any issue caused by it sitting for two years going to be so expensive that I'll have a very hard time getting the price low enough to compensate?

Kajtek1

2015 long/tall limo RV 2.1l
What engine? Is it coming with warranty?
I DIY my inspections and have pretty bad opinion about "roadworthy inspections".
A member here bought converted Sprinter, only months later to discover that van had to have chemical spill, who eat the metal floor before hardwood was put on it. Inspector did not notice it.
I think at present DPF are no longer "black hole in they sky" You can buy a $50 scanner who will monitor regeneration, what will help in aborting them. I drive my MB diesel sedan mostly in the city and sedan takes 10 miles for regeneration to complete. When I see it pending while coming close to destination, I make additional loop to give it time.
Also DPF cleaning shops become popular, while new DPF are available as low as $600, depends on MY.
In another words, DPF are no longer an issue. Gunked swirl flaps on OM642 engines still are.

hollynomates

It's an OM642. No warranty. That's good to know about the DPF. I guess if it's barely been driven (mileage at sales reports) it wouldn't have built up much anyway. I think I'll see what the mechanic says. Hopefully they're competent!

Kajtek1

2015 long/tall limo RV 2.1l
Get a good scanner and coverall.
Scan the engine for any codes and good scanner should run smoothest test. Pull the regeneration record.
Than crawl under the van (I fit under mine just fine and I am not small person) and inspect for leaks and corrosion.
Do your homework about oil cooler leaks and swirl flaps on those engines.
Since it comes from dealer at premium price, I would push them for at least 1 month warranty.

sparkplug

2007/2008 built vans (at least in the UK) were on the borderline between having the DPF fitted as standard or not.

I got lucky and my 2008 registered (2007 built) doesn't have one

bcislander

'07 Mercedes-badged Dodge
2007/2008 built vans (at least in the UK) were on the borderline between having the DPF fitted as standard or not.

I got lucky and my 2008 registered (2007 built) doesn't have one
Here in North America, 2007 and later diesel powered Sprinters were all fitted with DPFs.

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder
The service history may not be as bad as you fear. There are a number of delivery or service business Sprinters that only see city service. A few good longer runs, or manual regens may be enough to keep things in control.

It's easy to overthink a used vehicle purchase to the point of paralysis. You may find the absolute Unicorn perfect older Sprinter with a diligent search. It seems that more often people just stumble upon them.

:2cents: vic

Top Bottom