Software update

387mega

Hello there, I recently purchased a used sprinter and I have been reading very interesting tips from all of you... unfortunately there are no many sprinter "experts" around here even some of the MB dealers don't work on sprinters, and I had to take my sprinter in for check engine light and def light... let me be clear, this is not a MB dealer... this shop works only on European vehicles including sprinters! However, my question is fairly simple... can you perform a software update on a vehicle that has the check engine on or in another worlds, without fixing the actual problem?
I'm asking this because the mechanic installed the software and the ECM "froze" on him and well I'm getting charged by the hour so my bill is increasing by the minute "literally" and I start to believe that I'm being taken for a ride!
Does anyone know?
Thanks guys!
Tony.

RVBarry

Hi, what year and engine?

Fwiw, I've never heard of a non-dealer installing an OEM software update.

387mega

Yes, sorry it is 2010... this place is very well equipped, they have been in business for 25+ years and they have a wall with certifications and the owner is always in the shop working on the vehicles...

Jbernielh

my wife's is a 2010
no updates to software since new
local MB dealer did all updates, to all the systems that required updates in approximately an hour, as well as the left and right side air bag recall..
total cost was under 200 bucks

as mentioned above, the dealer logs into the mother ship and the updates are done in realtime and are VIN specific

I can't imagine a non dealer doing OEM updates

Bernie

387mega

I see... I got a call the day before yesterday to get approval for more diagnosis time... the story goes; like I mentioned before, I went in for check engine light, DEF light and 9 start countdown warning... they claim that they could not communicate with the ECM "after" they attempted to download the software so he left the battery disconnected for a day or so to reboot the ECM "I guess" and after that they were able to communicate with the ECM, they force the DPF cleaning and test drive the van, all the lights came back... check engine, DEF and 9 start countdown... they scan the vehicle again and they found 2 codes an DEF low "which is full" and a NOx sensor... in which those codes were present before, I know that because I had the van scanned by my regular mechanic and he told me right of the back that he can't work on DEF because he doesn't know much about MB system...
And now a $450 diagnostic with the software download is turning in to $1,000 box diagnostic "no repair or parts" ... I know that some times to find a "electrical problem" it takes long time but it seems to me that the reason why is taking so long is because of that "software update"... I'm planning on taking the vehicle somewhere else and have them back track what was done with the ECM to see if they find something fishy... and please, correct me if I'm wrong but the ECM records/stores any or some work to it, right?
Thanks guys, Tony.

BenJammin

Why would you have to pay for their mistake in messing up with the ecm when the problem was an exhaust thing, whit what I know now I don't even force a Regen with those codes, it will be a sensor in the tank and the box sensor as well. Usually box get replaced at the rate of 6-8 hundred. For the level sensor in the tank it might not even get replaced of it has a build of of crystals maybe just rinsing it with warm water will do the trick, but the labor to drop the def tank will be the mayor cost there.

387mega

I don't know BenJammin, I personally I have very little knowledge about this DEF systems but common sense tell me that you have to fix a problem that is present in other to move on to the next step... something else that confirms that theory is that I wanted to have install a remote start to the van and the guy told me that I have to fix the check engine light before because the vehicle's computer will not allow any key re-code... "what I meant by key re-code is that the remote start module has to be recognize by the ECM as a 3th. key"

Top Bottom