Covid Infected Vehicles

Our vehicles are sitting too much. They can't get the virus, but it has allowed other maladies to take hold.

My wife's Hyundai goes in tomorrow for brakes. 17,000 miles 2015. Previous to the NY Pause the rotors have been rusting a bit from non-use, but not badly enough to cause real problems. Now the car has sat unused for so long unused that it grinds to a stop. For certain it will need front brakes complete. Rotors, pads, hardware kit. I suspect the rear brakes will need the same. I could do the job for under 200 bucks, but I'm going to throw some business to my local independent shop. The front of his shop doesn't have as many vehicles waiting for service as he has in the past.

Today I went out to the 2004. I opened the passenger door to roll the window part way down for the dog. As the door moved a yellow jacket wasp came out of the side mirror housing. A spritz of wasp spray into the housing on both side mirrors has shut down that construction.

Feel free to add anything you've noticed.

:cheers: vic

MTGJR1

My daughter in law's 2 y.o. Honda was parked in their garage since mid March. They went to drive it last week, parasitic loads killed the battery.

HarryN

I put a power film solar panel (R7, so just 7 watts) into each of our vehicles to keep the batteries topped off. With these smaller panels, there really isn't any need for a controller. They roll up so storage is easy.

HarryN

Our vehicles are sitting too much. They can't get the virus, but it has allowed other maladies to take hold.

My wife's Hyundai goes in tomorrow for brakes. 17,000 miles 2015. Previous to the NY Pause the rotors have been rusting a bit from non-use, but not badly enough to cause real problems. Now the car has sat unused for so long unused that it grinds to a stop. For certain it will need front brakes complete. Rotors, pads, hardware kit. I suspect the rear brakes will need the same. I could do the job for under 200 bucks, but I'm going to throw some business to my local independent shop. The front of his shop doesn't have as many vehicles waiting for service as he has in the past.

Today I went out to the 2004. I opened the passenger door to roll the window part way down for the dog. As the door moved a yellow jacket wasp came out of the side mirror housing. A spritz of wasp spray into the housing on both side mirrors has shut down that construction.

Feel free to add anything you've noticed.

:cheers: vic
Sometimes you can remove the rust by using the brakes aggressively a few times. Maybe just polish the rotors a bit with some scotch britte.

Sometimes you can remove the rust by using the brakes aggressively a few times. Maybe just polish the rotors a bit with some scotch britte.
That and riding the brakes off and on for the first few blocks when we did drive it worked for the last approx. 5 years. Covid tipped us over to needing at least front brakes. More news to follow.

vic

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.
I take a different vehicle every time I go out... my family of four has four to choose from, but they aren't seeing the action they normally do. That way each gets operated at least once a month, sometimes a bit more if I go shopping more than once/week. My college daughter just resumed her grocery store checkout/curb-side pickup job, so that will get one of the vehicles exercised every day, and let me concentrate on using the others.

So far no problems have emerged the appear related to the less than regular use due to COVID-19.

The Elantra needed front brakes, rotors, hardware kit, caliper parts lubed, NYS Safety/Emissions Inspection, lube/oil, air filter, rear brakes are ok. $483.00 complete. If the front brakes last 5 years again that's not too bad. Given the annual miles the brakes won't wear out. Something will go bad. 16500/5 = 3300 miles per year.

vic

HighPockets

Mice and squirrels are the biggest danger. When my new to me used Lexus Hybrid wasn't used much because "I was reserving it for special occasions" and still using my Prius, squirrels stored acorns under the plastic valve covers while it was in my carport. Minimal damage but they can make nightmares out of your wiring.

Gene

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.
Mice and squirrels are the biggest danger. When my new to me used Lexus Hybrid wasn't used much because "I was reserving it for special occasions" and still using my Prius, squirrels stored acorns under the plastic valve covers while it was in my carport. Minimal damage but they can make nightmares out of your wiring.

Gene
Idle vehicles are the devil's playground (for vermin).

Top Bottom