Power Steering Fluid

Hi I bought an '05 sprinter, turns out it needs a bit of power steering fluid. I found some pretty old looking PSF in my garage. I can't find any info on whether this particular PSF is fine for a sprinter though. If it is, can I just add it to whatever PSF is already in there? or do I need to flush it first?
IMG_0674.JPG

No problem. It is light hydraulic oil.

Over the years the NAS aka NAFTA T1N Operator Manuals have mentioned Mercedes spec., Synthetic ATFIII, ATF+4, and other power steering fluid substitutes.

Years ago I sucked out the 2004 reservoir and filled with Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak as a preventative measure. Still running. 335,000+ miles on the clock.

Some info is here.

Some will say not to use your old junk. Light hydraulic oil aka fluid is not the same as hydraulic brake fluid. It doesn't deteriorate over time while stored.

If your PS system is leaking you might consider using Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak as I did.

:2cents: vic

Last edited:

Alphacarina

2006 Itasca Navion 23H
Since whatever's in there is 15 years old, I would suck out as much of it as I could get using a turkey baster, fill it up, drive it for a day or two and then suck it all out again and refill with *fresh* fluid - Not the old stuff you've had laying around for who knows how long

When I bought our '06, the first thing I did was to change every fluid for new - Anti-freeze, engine oil, transmission, differential and brake fluid. But, now I realize that I missed the power steering!! One more project to add to the list . . . . thank you!

Don

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I don't believe hydraulic fluid is especially hygroscopic, and it doesn't really shelf age. Go ahead and use it. The fluid doesn't break down in service really either.

gilee

2006 Sprinter 2500 Camper
No problem. It is light hydraulic oil.

Over the years the NAS aka NAFTA T1N Operator Manuals have mentioned Mercedes spec., Synthetic ATFIII, ATF+4, and other power steering fluid substitutes.

Years ago I sucked out the 2004 reservoir and filled with Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak as a preventative measure. Still running. 335,000+ miles on the clock.

Some info is here.

Some will say not to use your old junk. Light hydraulic oil aka fluid is not the same as hydraulic brake fluid. It doesn't deteriorate over time while stored.

If your PS system is leaking you might consider using Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak as I did.

:2cents: vic
Hi vic,
once the leak stop from Lucas, do i need to flush out the lucas stop leak and replace with regular steering fluid? Thx

I think I have a small leak at the reservoir where sticking out to a hose to the radiator.

Hi vic,
once the leak stop from Lucas, do i need to flush out the lucas stop leak and replace with regular steering fluid? Thx

I think I have a small leak at the reservoir where sticking out to a hose to the radiator.
The Lucas product just stays in service.

The Lucas product works to help renew seals. I wouldn't expect it to necessarily fix a hose or fitting leak.

vic

Top Bottom