4x4 engaging on its own.

akatc

Has anybody else had issues with the 4x4 engaging on its own? We have less than 1000 miles and we've already been to the dealer once. Now the 4x4 has engaded on its own on two seperate occasions. I can only imagine the issues with it engaging on its own when its not supposed to. After i disengage it the steering is still very heavy like it could still be engaged.

Dan

hjos

I had it happen a couple of times when I first got the van (under 1000 miles)... Thought I might of bumped the button by mistake. Chalked it up to being new to the 4x4 Sprinter. I've had the van for 1 month & now have 4000 miles. I have not had it happen again. Side note: I don't noticed much difference between the steering weight in either 2wd of 4wd.

Yes I’ve had it happen a half dozen times or so now, my van has about 9 k on it. Its a 19’ passenger Germany build.
dealer has basically told my they cant duplicte it so nothing they can do. Ive got another appt with the dealer soon for the Rear end clunk and the no go issue, hope they can look at this issue again.
It’s usually first thing in the morning when I go to start it up to go to work, and its randomly in 4x4 when I turn it on.

zither99

my van was the opposite, 4x4 disengaged randmly. Dealer narrowed it down to some "absolute position sensor" and replaced it. hasn't happend since. they said its common on G wagens, maybe bad batch.

Eric Experience

Dan,
The way the transfer case works, it uses a planetary diff to send power to front and back, but when in 2wd the planetary is locked to the rear only and the front is disconnected. If the transfer case controller is not able to travel its full rotation it can give random conditions like locking front and rear at the same time. Very simple to fix but too hard for the dealer as its not a recognized fault, all you have to do to fix it is to unscrew the transfer case controller and and oil the shaft that connects to the case, easy fix. Eric.

81duck

I've had this happen a couple times on my 2019 170 german build (4500 miles), just started happening recently. Didn't notice any difference in steering after disengaging.

VanGoSki

Twice I've had that happen on my 2020 German build cargo, both times with less than 3000 miles, and hasn't happened since (probably another 3,000 miles). The first time was on a long trip and I probably drove hundreds of miles with it on. I cannot see the 4x4 light when I'm driving without bending over. I don't know why they don't have an indicator on the dash.

81duck

Twice I've had that happen on my 2020 German build cargo, both times with less than 3000 miles, and hasn't happened since (probably another 3,000 miles). The first time was on a long trip and I probably drove hundreds of miles with it on. I cannot see the 4x4 light when I'm driving without bending over. I don't know why they don't have an indicator on the dash.
I agree with you VanGoSki, its a pretty bad location to mount that switch from an ergonomic standpoint. I now look every time I start my van to make sure 4wd is not engaged.

MountainR

Going to add that I just had this happen in our 2019 crew van last Friday. Pulled over at a rest stop after 150ish miles of driving, did our think and before leaving the parking lot I looked down to see the red 4x4 light on. I believe this is the second time this has happened but I didn’t catch the first time immediately. German built fwiw.

Sprinter907

Alaska Sprinter (907van.com)
I had a similar issue with 2019 4x4 Passenger 144. From the purchase, I had trouble getting it into 4wd and went through all the suggested gyrations to make it happen: sometimes it just wouldn't go - almost left me stranded in a snowstorm. The straw for me was when I was driving down a remote paved road and lost all power on an uphill going about 55. I pull over to find that 4wd was engaged AND in low range! After a bunch of shifting, turning the engine on and off and few grinding sounds, I finally got it out of low range and then after a bit more shifting back and forth got it out of 4wd. I took it to the dealer (for this and the famous "clunk" issue). They said it was a faulty 4wd computer - apparently a known thing - and they replaced a computer and sensor (not sure what part #'s as they were a bit evasive about this). Happy ending: All's good ever since. Shifts into 4wd every time and haven't had the auto-engage occur since.

I'm learning - as I did from my old 2005 T1N that you shouldn't assume that stuff like this is "just the way it is." If your dealer won't fix it - find another dealer - or make a bunch of noise about it. So far, my AK dealer has been awesome about any issues encountered.

Eric B

Thanks for the write up

does your dealership work order list anything specific we can potentially use with our own dealers?

there’s got to be something about which part numbers were changed on the WO

please confirm ?

Sprinter907

Alaska Sprinter (907van.com)
Thanks for the write up

does your dealership work order list anything specific we can potentially use with our own dealers?

there’s got to be something about which part numbers were changed on the WO

please confirm ?
Sorry no part numbers for the 4x4 fix - maybe because it was an update (re-burn) of the module rather than replacement?? (Not sure on this.)
The work order for the 4x4 issue simply states: "Technician updated transfer case module which fixed 4x4 and low range light issue."

For the clunking of the drivetrain: "Technician removed transfer case unit and locktited splines which fixed the Klunking noise, everything works as intended"
Parts:
140 990 11 50 Nut
007603 14402 Ring General Metal
001 989 45 03 10 Transmission Oil
4520 Hi-Power Brake Cleaner

Not a huge help, but maybe point folks in the right direction...

Djxtreme

heading to my dealer next week because it engages on its own all the time. when I called my dealer and started to explain it, they were 100% familiar with the issue and said that the 2020's are having even more 4x4 issues than my 2019. regardless, he said there is a lot of 4x4 issues in the VS30 and that they know what to do. I can try to remember to report back with what they do to fix it.
mine ends up in 4x4 (that I notice, at least) probably 5% of the drives I take it on. and that's only if I happen to catch the light out of the corner of my eye before I turn off the engine.

4WDHAUS

Getting the kinks out of my 2020 4x4
Glad I'm not losing my mind, has happened to me three times in the first 3-4k miles driving our van. Another thing to add to the list when we take in to the dealer.

Roamers

2020 4X4 170 Crew
Curious, what makes it obvious the vehicle is going into 4WD? Does the sound change? I can barely see the LED unless really looking and haven't been in 4WD at highway speed yet.

4WDHAUS

Getting the kinks out of my 2020 4x4
Mine has only done it at really low speeds or from start. The LED is lit and the road noise / handling difference is pretty apparent.

Go4adVanture

Has anybody else had issues with the 4x4 engaging on its own? We have less than 1000 miles and we've already been to the dealer once. Now the 4x4 has engaded on its own on two seperate occasions. I can only imagine the issues with it engaging on its own when its not supposed to. After i disengage it the steering is still very heavy like it could still be engaged.

Dan
It happened to me at a stop light. Light turned green and I could not move. There was a wicked grinding noise in drive but not in park. The4x4 light was on and stared flashing red when I relied to disengage it. Put in park, neutral, reverse & shut off engine. But every time I put back in Drive, there was the grinding. I sat there for over an hour waiting for a tow. I started van back up and tried it again and Grinding! I was able to get it out of 4x4 after driving a little bit. Dealer said they performed a software update. Because of a slow build out my 2019 had less than 500 miles when this happened.

sc45738

Yes I’ve had it happen a half dozen times or so now, my van has about 9 k on it. Its a 19’ passenger Germany build.
dealer has basically told my they cant duplicte it so nothing they can do. Ive got another appt with the dealer soon for the Rear end clunk and the no go issue, hope they can look at this issue again.
It’s usually first thing in the morning when I go to start it up to go to work, and its randomly in 4x4 when I turn it on.
you ever find a fix in this? I’m working through this right now.

AK_Sprinter

Early on it happened two or maybe three times with our 2019 170. Like others, the first time it happened I thought maybe I accidentally bumped the button. The second time I was certain it did it on its own. It only happened when I was starting out after being stopped, like after fueling up. It hasn't happened again for quite some time, and we now have about 18,000 miles on the rig.

Top Bottom