Random starting and loss of power

MartinLowe14

Hi guys,
Have an 09 313 sprinter and can’t seem to find a trend of why it won’t start and when it does start why that is. Have replaced crankshaft sensor, camshaft sensor, fuel rail pressure regulator and placed in a new 800ah battery, none of them have seemed to of helped. However, when jump started of another vechile it takes some going but does start nearly every time.
Another issue whether they are related I don’t know but I think they may be is that when driving all of a sudden all power to the throttle is lost and can’t achieve over 20mph, when this happens I take out of gear turn of the van and back on and the power comes back.
Any idea and help is greatly appreciated.

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
Welcome Martin
I assume you mean it cranks but doesn't start. What RPM does it reach while not starting. Does it sound slower than normal?
A Sprinter computer scanner will go a long way to solving this as you can read some sensor readings to see if they meet minimums for starting.
Injectors may be clogged or worn. A ground cable or wiring harness may be corroded or frayed. Where in the world are you?
The throttle loss may be the turbo being shut down by a bad sensor reading. Those being MAF, AIT MAP sensor being dirty or with bad connections .

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
And an '09 (or 2009) will be an NCV3 not a T1N so a very different animal!

The NCV3 has totally different ignition switch and security systems so you would do better asking your questions in the NCV3 Talk sub forum.

Keith.

MartinLowe14

Welcome Martin
I assume you mean it cranks but doesn't start. What RPM does it reach while not starting. Does it sound slower than normal?
A Sprinter computer scanner will go a long way to solving this as you can read some sensor readings to see if they meet minimums for starting.
Injectors may be clogged or worn. A ground cable or wiring harness may be corroded or frayed. Where in the world are you?
The throttle loss may be the turbo being shut down by a bad sensor reading. Those being MAF, AIT MAP sensor being dirty or with bad connections .
Thanks for the reply, only seems to get up to 2-300 revs on the counter when trying to turn over. It varies to be honest, sometimes it can fire straight up but it is never within I’d say 10 seconds. I am going to plug a computer reader in and see what it says, any idea if OBD2 reader works with sprinters? I am in the UK

MartinLowe14

Hi guys,
Have an 09 313 sprinter and can’t seem to find a trend of why it won’t start and when it does start why that is. Have replaced crankshaft sensor, camshaft sensor, fuel rail pressure regulator and placed in a new 800ah battery, none of them have seemed to of helped. However, when jump started of another vechile it takes some going but does start nearly every time.
Another issue whether they are related I don’t know but I think they may be is that when driving all of a sudden all power to the throttle is lost and can’t achieve over 20mph, when this happens I take out of gear turn of the van and back on and the power comes back.
Any idea and help is greatly appreciated

Stev_H

Hello.
Mine had a similar issue a couple of years ago, started/wouldn't start erratically although didn't experience the loss of power you describe. Had an old school mechanic mate come round, he listened to it turn over and diagnosed the low pressure fuel pump the fuel tank, installed new lift pump and it started no bother. Might not be your issue but maybe worth thinking about if nothing else turns up.
Good luck.

MartinLowe14

Hello.
Mine had a similar issue a couple of years ago, started/wouldn't start erratically although didn't experience the loss of power you describe. Had an old school mechanic mate come round, he listened to it turn over and diagnosed the low pressure fuel pump the fuel tank, installed new lift pump and it started no bother. Might not be your issue but maybe worth thinking about if nothing else turns up.
Good luck.
Something I’ve not heard before so will definitely look into that, cheers

Stev_H

Nae worries, the mechanic said that although he could hear that pump whirring away it wasn't delivering enough pressure to activate the HP pump. Anyways, hope you get it sorted.
I would try the code reader as another poster mentioned, maybe you have a mobile mechanic in your area? They're not too shabby on price, less overheads I guess.

Top Bottom