Automatic electronic parking brake.

MTGJR1

On my maiden voyage I was showing off the van to my daughter. After exchanging pleasantries when leaving (before I remembered about auto park brake), I shifted to reverse and gave it some throttle. Engine revved, park brake released and the van lurched backwards. After slamming the brake on, she asked me what the F I was doing.

Have not used auto off since then.

430 hp 70

'19 144 Gas Passenger - Carlsbad
I clearly see the words, "depress the accelerator" on that manual page. Maybe yours is the one that isn't working right.
You're missing the second part of the 4th bullet point, the part after the "or". It says throttle is only needed on a steep uphill. Not sure what determines a steep uphill incline.

I added a video. Did you guys watch it?

430 hp 70

Here is the manual page from a 2017 glc300. It is almost identical in wording to the sprinter page. Also attached is a video of a guy talking about how it works. It works identical to mine and he does not need throttle.

Again, I know I'm beating a dead horse, but you guys paid for an "auto" parking brake and should have one. I do, just don't understand why you guys don't.

Attachments

Last edited:

VanGoSki

You're missing the second part of the 4th bullet point, the part after the "or". It says throttle is only needed on a steep uphill. Not sure what determines a steep uphill incline.
I'm not missing anything, you are. Both procedures on either side of the 'or' say "depress the accelerator" Please read it again carefully.

Here is the manual page from a 2017 glc300. It is almost identical in wording to the sprinter page. Also attached is a video of a guy talking about how it works. It works identical to mine and he does not need throttle.
Irrelevant. Our vans work as described in the Sprinter manual.
Again, I know I'm beating a dead horse, but you guys paid for an "auto" parking brake and should have one. I do, just don't understand why you guys don't.
Why don't you think we don't have "auto" parking brake? It releases when we step on the accelerator. That doesn't make it any less automatic. It's not like you're not going anywhere without stepping on the accelerator. Plus it's better on hills because the torque converter is spooled up and applying pressure before the emergency brake is released. It's exactly the right behavior.

430 hp 70

I'm not missing anything, you are. Both procedures on either side of the 'or' say "depress the accelerator" Please read it again carefully.

Irrelevant. Our vans work as described in the Sprinter manual.

It says the

Why don't you think we don't have "auto" parking brake? It releases when we step on the accelerator. That doesn't make it any less automatic. It's not like you're not going anywhere without stepping on the accelerator. Plus it's better on hills because the torque converter is spooled up and applying pressure before the emergency brake is released. It's exactly the right behavior.

You're missing the period followed by a statement with the word "if".

"You switch from transmission position P to position D or R. You must also depress the accelerator "IF" traveling on steep uphill gradients"

So "if" you're on a steep incline you need to give throttle. Why would mercedes describe two different scenarios, seperated by an "or" if they were the same? One is for starting from park and the other removes the brake if you forgot to put your belt on etc. Why not just use one line stating to accelerate from drive?

Mercedes vehicles work like my sprinter. My sprinter works like the manual. If yours doesn't you should show your dealer my video above and ask them why yours doesn't.

Again, what build date do you guys have? Is your software up to date? 10" screen? 4wd?

Attachments

Last edited:

VanGoSki

You're missing the period followed by a statement with the word "if".

"You switch from transmission position P to position D or R. You must also depress the accelerator "IF" traveling on steep uphill gradients"
Forget about the hill caveat. Please read the highlighted portion. There's no ifs, ands or buts. Put in D or R and press the accelerator.
1593533749886.jpg

430 hp 70

No. It doesn't state "put". It does not state anything about shifting. In this scenario you are already in gear. If you are already in drive or reverse you MUST manually release or use the throttle. If I don't belt and put it in reverse to back out of my driveway, then I will be in reverse with the brake on. That situation absolutely requires a manual or throttle removal of the brake. That situation is what the highlighted portion is talking about. Again, it states absolutely nothing about shifting.

The portion after the "or" specifically states starting in park and shifting. This is where you're missing it with their poorly worded manual. If you meet the criteria before you shift, it's fully automatic. Except when we bring inclines back in to it.

I'm headed to my dealer tomorrow. I'll see if they have one on the lot to test.

zither99

Thanks guys, I always drove off my driveway and buckled right away as I was moving slowly... Buckling up before putting it in D or R Releases the brake :)

GLJones

My favorite related feature....when you stop at a traffic light, push the brake pedal hard and release it completely...van holds the brakes until you press the gas again.

430 hp 70

My favorite related feature....when you stop at a traffic light, push the brake pedal hard and release it completely...van holds the brakes until you press the gas again.
How hard is "hard" and do you get any indication on the dash? Didn't know that was an option.

Thanks guys, I always drove off my driveway and buckled right away as I was moving slowly... Buckling up before putting it in D or R Releases the brake :)
Glad it worked for someone else. ?

JUSTAGUY

St Cloud, WI
It is called the Hold feature. Mine is activated by kind of double clutching the brake peddle. Does work great

Tuck5000

2008 2500 170
Has anyone tried to have this re-programmed at the dealer to be manually activated? I just picked up a 2020, not sure if i like this feature, seams like it could be a nightmare if you could get the parking brake to disengage

Metrocruiser

I would get the electric e-brake. One of my favorite features.
Hi hdaniels,

Could you list some of the reasons why you like it.
My reason for the dilemma is that I would like to have a temp/removable console between the 2 seats. Something as simple as a tall thermos chest to put my log book on, to eat and have a space for other equipment like a camera or drone etc.. As well as a spot for my dog to curl up. (I dont have a van yet, but im waiting for it)

I am trying to get the total cost lower so I could add the H12 heater/booster

Thanks!

430 hp 70

Best feature besides the power door. Mine is full auto which is huge. Others seem to be auto on, manual off which I'm not sure I'd like.

Top Bottom