Automatic electronic parking brake.

akatc

When we park our 2019 4x4 the parking brake sets itself every single time. Does anyone know how to turn this feature off?

zither99

i hate this feature. on our touareg the electric brake has to be engaged/disengaged by the user like a normal parking brake.

430 hp 70

'19 144 Gas Passenger - Carlsbad
I love it. We have a steep driveway and it's the best thing besides the power door.

Curious, why would anyone want to turn it off?

akatc

It gets annoying making multiple trips in a short span with the sprinter. I fell like im setting up a fighter jet before take off. I get in turn on the van disengange the parking brake, then i have to disable the active lane assist every single time after 4 or 5 of that in a span of an hour it gets old. Those are two features i feel should be able to turn off if we as the consumer wanted to.

81duck

I agree with the active lane assist, we should be able to disengage permanently if we want to. Thankfully I have the manual PB so that's not a concern.

430 hp 70

It gets annoying making multiple trips in a short span with the sprinter. I fell like im setting up a fighter jet before take off. I get in turn on the van disengange the parking brake, then i have to disable the active lane assist every single time after 4 or 5 of that in a span of an hour it gets old. Those are two features i feel should be able to turn off if we as the consumer wanted to.
You do not have to manually disengage the parking brake. It is auto on, auto off. That's what makes it so nice.

waverider

VS30 4x4 (Santa Cruz)
From the owners manual, the automatic parking brake will release automatically when you start driving - I've done this, but rarely do since it feels like you need to push hard on the accelerator before the brake is released and you start going. I, out of habit, just pull the release switch out as I put the van in D or R.

1593533749886.png

430 hp 70

The owners manual still makes it sound more complicated than it needs to be. As long as your seatbelt is on, putting it in drive or reverse automatically releases it. No throttle input needed. Not sure why it says that.

If I don't buckle to move a few feet or back out of the driveway, I will manually release it.

MTGJR1

The owners manual still makes it sound more complicated than it needs to be. As long as your seatbelt is on, putting it in drive or reverse automatically releases it. No throttle input needed. Not sure why it says that.

If I don't buckle to move a few feet or back out of the driveway, I will manually release it.
My experience is it needs some throttle to automatically release. I always release manually, don't like the "engine rev/release ".

akatc

What! Auto on and off! I’ve even gone into drive and felt a slight resistance and saw the park brake light still on so I’ve never thought to give it gas. I even read through the manual and never noticed that! I’ll have to go out there and try it now!

430 hp 70

If it needs throttle something is either wrong, you didn't put your seatbelt on before shifting out of park, or there is a difference between the gas and diesel programming. Absolutely no throttle needed.

waverider

VS30 4x4 (Santa Cruz)
If it needs throttle something is either wrong, you didn't put your seatbelt on before shifting out of park, or there is a difference between the gas and diesel programming. Absolutely no throttle needed.
For sure mine needs throttle to release. It is also possible that its related to where I park. My driveway is on an incline so maybe its a safety feature? I'll have to try it next time I'm starting from a flat surface.

430 hp 70

I apologize for continuing to beat this to death, but I want you guys to know yours is not working properly. What model year and build date? Mine is 12/19. I have 5k miles and my driveway is steep. I haven't ever had to use the throttle, not even once. As soon as I shift, the light goes out and brake is off. You must be seated and belted and shift from park to D or R. I'm wondering if you guys aren't buckling first or if I have a different version software.

If you look at the manual page above it states that it should function like mine. Again, not trying to argue, but I just don't want you guys missing a huge benefit of an option we paid for.

Made a quick clip of mine working

Last edited:

VanGoSki

I apologize for continuing to beat this to death, but I want you guys to know yours is not working properly. What model year and build date? Mine is 12/19. I have 5k miles and my driveway is steep. I haven't ever had to use the throttle, not even once. As soon as I shift, the light goes out and brake is off. You must be seated and belted and shift from park to D or R. I'm wondering if you guys aren't buckling first or if I have a different version software.

If you look at the manual page above it states that it should function like mine. Again, not trying to argue, but I just don't want you guys missing a huge benefit of an option we paid for.
I clearly see the words, "depress the accelerator" on that manual page. Maybe yours is the one that isn't working right.

akatc

It worked! Holy cow. So a very annoying feature is now an awesome feature when I use it properly! Going into drive with foot on the brake there is still resistance but as soon as I give it a little bit of gas the parking brake turns off!

Top Bottom