Cooper and Hunter Mini Split On Sale - Any Good?

borabora

I don't have an answer for you but I have two questions on top of yours -- sorry.
So, when installing these split units the lines still have to be evacuated and the system filled to spec. Most people can't do that themselves due to lack of equipment and expertise. So that would add maybe $200-$300 if done efficiently by an HVAC pro -- is that about right?
Where would you install the outside unit?

marklg

I don't have an answer for you but I have two questions on top of yours -- sorry.
So, when installing these split units the lines still have to be evacuated and the system filled to spec. Most people can't do that themselves due to lack of equipment and expertise. So that would add maybe $200-$300 if done efficiently by an HVAC pro -- is that about right?
Where would you install the outside unit?
This is more for my information. My current van has a roof mounted conventional AC but it takes up a lot of valuable roof space. I'm looking for a possible future build a few years down the road. I'm inspired by this thread:

Might not do it exactly the same, but there are some good ideas out there.

Even with a few hundred more for someone to connect up the lines correctly, it is still in the ballpark of a conventional AC.

Regards,

Mark

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
I used Harbor Freight vacuum pump and manifold set along with nitrogen tank (400 psi pressure test), and BluVac micron gauge to install two 30k LG mini-splits on my house. Currently following install of 5k window AC unit by @Midwestdrifter. Thinking of doing something similar.

There are some mini-splits that use quick disconnects and are pre-charged. No need to vacuum and charge refrigerant.

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
At that price it might be worth installing the condenser on its side under the van. Given that most of these units will not be used much in a van (compared to heat/cool a home) they will likely outlast the vehicle if installed properly.

Top Bottom