Upgrading 2020 Sprinter 3500 Headlights from Halogen to LED

souvas

Here's a fun one. I have the exact same problem as you, but reversed.
Spoke to the lead tech at MB dealership. He said there is no recoding/reprogramming needed. By installing this harness it basically just bypasses all the MBZ equipment. You'll simply get the the errors on the little screen on the dash that says "check left low beam, check right low beam", etc. You just have to put up with that and hit the back button on the steering wheel to clear. Not a huge issue but annoying nonetheless to do it every time you start the vehicle. Still haven't resolved my issue of just having one light to turn on. I had the headlight exchanged and having the same problem. I'm thinking its the harness connector itself not making the proper contact with the plug on the headlight. This is just an assumption, but will need some testing out. Although, when speaking with the MB tech he mentioned 2 other folks doing the same thing and both had the same issues as us and just ended up scrapping the project.

Always_Wipe

Spoke to the lead tech at MB dealership. He said there is no recoding/reprogramming needed. By installing this harness it basically just bypasses all the MBZ equipment. You'll simply get the the errors on the little screen on the dash that says "check left low beam, check right low beam", etc. You just have to put up with that and hit the back button on the steering wheel to clear. Not a huge issue but annoying nonetheless to do it every time you start the vehicle. Still haven't resolved my issue of just having one light to turn on. I had the headlight exchanged and having the same problem. I'm thinking its the harness connector itself not making the proper contact with the plug on the headlight. This is just an assumption, but will need some testing out. Although, when speaking with the MB tech he mentioned 2 other folks doing the same thing and both had the same issues as us and just ended up scrapping the project.
I think it might be the harness having a malfunction. Since we are having different lights come on and off.

mckinley

WOW, thanks everyone so much for leaping off to try to fit the high intensity lights. I just bought a Sprinter 4x4 144 tall roof and will be shipping to Ca from east coast. Like to do this upgrade but will wait until others report on what to do. I'm concerned about getting into this without knowing the pitfalls. Keep us posted I'll be checking back here as id really like the upgrade. Revel's have those lights but I"m intending to build a better rig for a lot less $$$
Max

mckinley

I think it might be the harness having a malfunction. Since we are having different lights come on and off.
Thats a lot of work to have to exchange light and harness. Just a bit surprised that Mercedes wiring doesn't allow this swap. Like to see their schematic and how the 2 differ, any way of getting that from dealer?

Jaydavis226

The problem is Mercedes doesn’t let you code any of their vehicles unlike BMW. Not that BMW makes a van just a reference to German engineering. Here’s a link for a time consuming project that works 100%.

Always_Wipe

@Always_Wipe @souvas
Have any of you added CANBus to help with the errors?
Hi Jay,

The LED kit we ordered has CANBUS connectors. We aren't getting any errors with the ECU. My dealership is requesting an ECU program from MErcedes to run the program to allow for the swap. Unlike the gentleman having to rewire the entire assembly because of the complicated nature of those LED lights (dynamic lighting, etc) ours is just plug and play with power running to the unit itself. Our issue is that you have to enable the LG7 code that is on the upfitter portal (adding external LED lights)

72chevy4x4

can you provide a synopsis of the conversion?

was it:
1. install aftermarket harness
(*optional to rearrange pins in OEM harness?)
2. install OEM head light assembly's
3. visit dealer to enable 'LG7'

Always_Wipe

Nice! How did you determine it was a bad light?
I PM'd you my cellphone number. Text me bro and I'll let you know who I did everything through. When the dealership said "the signal is reaching the passenger light but there's no response" I figured it was either wire or light when everything was said and done. I ordered another light through the eBay seller and he said he had done this a few times to no benefit. I said I'll eat the cost if the problem repeats. Worked like a charm when I plugged her up. MIND YOU I ran ALL FOUR LIGHTS before taking the old ones out.

souvas

I PM'd you my cellphone number. Text me bro and I'll let you know who I did everything through. When the dealership said "the signal is reaching the passenger light but there's no response" I figured it was either wire or light when everything was said and done. I ordered another light through the eBay seller and he said he had done this a few times to no benefit. I said I'll eat the cost if the problem repeats. Worked like a charm when I plugged her up. MIND YOU I ran ALL FOUR LIGHTS before taking the old ones out.
Dude, congrats! I did that too, had the seller on eBay send me a new one but same issue with it not turning on! What’s the likelihood that both lights from the seller are bad? What seller on eBay did you order from? I ordered from “mynameisuserone”. Congrats to you man!

Always_Wipe

can you provide a synopsis of the conversion?

was it:
1. install aftermarket harness
(*optional to rearrange pins in OEM harness?)
2. install OEM head light assembly's
3. visit dealer to enable 'LG7'

1. Buy OEM lights, I got mine from https://www.ebay.com/usr/mynameisuserone?ul_noapp=true and he was extremely helpful in replacing AND communicating every step of the way. I informed him about what I was doing beforehand and he was really awesome.

2. Installed the aftermarket headlight wire harness. I used the same ground as the other electric components and on the CAN BUS on the passenger A-PILLAR I occupied the top two empty slots. On the Fuse Box I used ports 69 and 68. I've attached a diagram of the fuse box but there's nothing related to the CAN BUS.

3. After installing aftermarket headlight harness, I left all OEM harnesses in place and connected to OEM lights and plugged in the new lights too. This way all four lights were running. I did not connect the auto-level since any vehicle purchased without LED lights wont have the additional sensors anyways. Don't waste your time looking.

4. Pressed the "unlock" key on the fob to test the orange lights on all 4 lights. All 4 lights lit up.

5. Uninstalled OEM halogen lights and replaced with OEM LED lights. After each removal and re-seat I tested lights by pressing unlock.

6. Once LED lights were installed, I turned vehicle on and tested high beams, low beams, DLR, and turn signal. Everything was running smooth. I just get dash errors about the other lights.

Errors along the way: Passenger light didn't work but the driver's did. Took it to Mercedes of Plano, they were ZERO help other than they said "The modules are communicating with the ECM but the lights aren't coming on". I asked them to test the light on another vehicle or test a new light on MY vehicle. They refused so working with the eBay seller we worked a deal where if the new light didn't turn on then I would eat the cost as it was a wire harness or programming issue.

I am still waiting on the dealer to enable the LG7 code on my ECU as this will clear out the annoying error messages but other than that, we are good. I'll update if something changes.

Attachments

Last edited:

shano55

This is awesome! Thank you!

Any auto high beam functionality, or is it still just on/off with the stock? Are the lights decently level and well angled without the auto-leveling?

Always_Wipe

This is awesome! Thank you!

Any auto high beam functionality, or is it still just on/off with the stock? Are the lights decently level and well angled without the auto-leveling?
Auto level is set by the additional plugs which our lowly halogen models to not have. The lights are leveled by the guide hole as part of the mounting bracket. I used a cylinder to make sure everything was lined up. Also used the body shape of the vehicle itself. Auto high beam works but the auto leveling will not. Which is dangerous if youre going over bumpy terrain and you have your high beams on and another car approaches (rare).

zither99

Would you be able to post pin location difference between led and halogen light? the German seller wouldn’t ship the harness to Canada, I might just re-pin the wires

souvas

I actually tried to go down the road of re-pinning but after a lot of time/research I found it wasn’t the right option for me. 1. It would likely void your warranty (ie if something goes wrong like shorting something out) 2. The CAN wires needed complicates things
The harness is virtually plug and play, it doesn’t require you to remove any of your stock wires and halogens housings could always be put back in if you need to. If you have a friend in the US, I’d have the harness sent there and then sent to you.

Top Bottom