New California Law: All vans must be electric by 2024

SeattleNewbie

2013 NCV3 2500 170" WB
Wouldn't be amazing if by some miracle this was possible?!

Imagine the sweet RV conversions!

Ok, back to reality with my darn AdBlue system.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Despite the click-bait title, the actual deadlines are up to 20 years later:
Quoting the article:
"Under guidelines approved Thursday, at least 40 percent of the tractor trailers sold in California would have to be powered by some form of zero-emissions technology by 2024. Medium-duty trucks, such as the Ford F-250 or Chevrolet Silverado HD, would be required to switch over 55 percent of their sales by 2035; and 75 percent of delivery trucks and vans would have to use zero-emissions powertrain technology by 2035 "
and: " mandate zero-emission trucks by 2045, "

As the HOA (home owners association) thread is busy discussing: "what's a van?"
(my Sprinter is (to the state of Washington and US Customs) a passenger vehicle: i.e. a station wagon)

--dick

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
The switchover to electric will take some time, mainly because some major infrastructure decisions need to be made by groupthink, rather than pure logic. But E vehicles will be replacing infernal combustion in the next decade or so, at an ever increasing rate.
I am pretty sure I have bought my last IC vehicle. But I keep my stuff for a very lloonngg time.

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
I'd love to convert my T1n to electric.
One thing to remember here is the number of batteries, we only have so many. For every truck on the road, that is one less car. Every truck needs batteries and batteries are the limiting factor of electric vehicle production.
However. That makes sense. While a passenger car often goes 25 miles in a day, work vans travel hundreds.
Last time I was in CA, I noticed the amount of vans with company names, ladders, and so on driving the freeways. During the day, work trucks outnumber cars.
But the state mandating such in a short time creates issues. Yet, it is I who lamented that Tesla is busy designing a Pickup instead of a van.
During WWII, we managed to pump out airplane and tanks by the thousands in very short order. All of those planes were designed prior to the war. Items designed during the war came out at the end of the war and were mostly obsolete from the start. Such as jet aircraft.
CA or OR had a law banning older trucks from the highway. Ticked off lots of truck owners. I don't know if the truckers just went away or if the law was fixed.

davisdave

2005 140 tall passenger
Gonna suck to get stuck somewhere when it gets windy and they turn off the chargers:thud:

Are electric fire trucks and ambulances a thing?

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
Is LPG considered zero emissions in CA?
If so, ICE is still an option, although electric charging infrastructure is growing much faster than propane. Large fleets can and do have their own propane infrastructure, however.

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Is LPG considered zero emissions in CA?
I would hope not (just like CNG, it still burns a hydrocarbon to yield CO2).

But the other ICE answer is "hydrogen"

--dick (although current industrial hydrogen production methods emit lots of CO2)

D

Deleted member 50714

Despite the click-bait title, the actual deadlines are up to 20 years later:
Quoting the article:
"Under guidelines approved Thursday, at least 40 percent of the tractor trailers sold in California would have to be powered by some form of zero-emissions technology by 2024. Medium-duty trucks, such as the Ford F-250 or Chevrolet Silverado HD, would be required to switch over 55 percent of their sales by 2035; and 75 percent of delivery trucks and vans would have to use zero-emissions powertrain technology by 2035 "
and: " mandate zero-emission trucks by 2045, "

As the HOA (home owners association) thread is busy discussing: "what's a van?"
(my Sprinter is (to the state of Washington and US Customs) a passenger vehicle: i.e. a station wagon)

--dick
No such thing as "Zero Emissions" and removed the goofy sticker from my LEAF. (Not my car pictured).

I knew a man who worked (still does last I heard) for the California State Water board who told me his daily MO is do a few bong loads before going to meetings and writing reports. Where's there one, there's many. Probably explains Commiefornia's sad state of affairs.IMG_2552.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 50714

I would hope not (just like CNG, it still burns a hydrocarbon to yield CO2).

But the other ICE answer is "hydrogen"

--dick (although current industrial hydrogen production methods emit lots of CO2)
Hydrogen will never be a viable transportation fuel.

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
I guess Shipt type deliveries could work. Individuals with passenger cars...

D

Deleted member 50714

People need to get off their lard arses and ride bicycles.

D

Deleted member 50714

The irrefutable fact remains, There's No Tomorrow.

At some point in the future, a colossal, cataclysmic, global, economic contraction will result in famine and death of biblical proportions.

Welcome to the Anthropocene Era!!!

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
Maybe 10-15 years ago, the local Honda dealership had a Honda Accord, I think, powered by hydrogen in der showroom.
Honda is still selling hydrogen powered cars

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Growing up in Poland under communistic government, I learned how to read "between the lines" and gets facts from propaganda.
No propaganda can be 100% BS. They have to post some truth to gain minimum credibility and this is what you should pay attention to.
So reading the article title
all vans and trucks must be electric by 2024
down in article I find.
at least 40 percent of the tractor trailers sold in California would have to be powered by some form of zero-emissions technology by 2024. Medium-duty trucks, such as the Ford F-250 or Chevrolet Silverado HD, would be required to switch over 55 percent of their sales by 2035; and 75 percent of delivery trucks and vans would have to use zero-emissions powertrain technology by 2035

so how 40% of new trucks sold become 100% of all?
Bottom line, Americans are easy to brainwash. Only 1 member above could read the facts.

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.
At some point in the future, a colossal, cataclysmic, global, economic contraction will result in famine and death of biblical proportions.
Speaking of hydrogen power, at some point in the future, our Sun will expand to include the orbit of the Earth, resulting in death to anyone left on the planet unless Earth manages to slip away from the Sun first. See this for more information: https://www.sciencealert.com/watch-here-s-how-the-sun-will-eventually-destroy-earth

Top Bottom