T1N broke oil filter plastic piece missing

In attempting to do an oil change I broke my oil filter holder. The plastic broke that holds filter in place. I searched for all the pieces and I can’t find a tiny piece of plastic. I obviously need a new oil filter holder, but am I screwed if so can’t find that piece.

I tried reassembling the plastic pieces and Im missing a tiny piece of the plastic.

If it somehow slipped into the engine and I totally screwed ? Anybody ever had this problem or can lend advice?

Attachments

marklg

In attempting to do an oil change I broke my oil filter holder. The plastic broke that holds filter in place. I searched for all the pieces and I can’t find a tiny piece of plastic. I obviously need a new oil filter holder, but am I screwed if so can’t find that piece.

I tried reassembling the plastic pieces and Im missing a tiny piece of the plastic.

If it somehow slipped into the engine and I totally screwed ? Anybody ever had this problem or can lend advice?
Mine was broken when I first bought the vehicle, but all the pieces were retained inside the filter. The previous owner had the oil changed at a Walmart. Won't ever do that.

Follow the instructions in this thread to properly install so it does not break again:

I would doubt a piece of plastic would be much risk, but I don't know what the flow is in the oil system.

Regards,

Mark

Well I did my best looking with a flash light to visual look for broken pieces. I got the shop vac and downsized toca smaller tube and sucked the bottom of the engine oil housing. My last idea was to repoir the old oil through and let it drain again. I need to wait until tomorrow for a new filter housing. So I might try that pour the old oil back in and let it drain out again.

Maybe it will find its way out through the system before it’s gets started.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I agree with Mark that you're probably OK.
The missing bits will either have been chewed/squished to dust by the oil pump, or will have fallen into the oil pan (when the tip of the filter holder is pulled out, you've just established a "direct drop" into the pan)

On the plus side, you got the tip-with-O-ring out, and that's what i would've considered critical.
Can loose plastic bits block something crucial? Unfortunately: yes.

--dick

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
yep, no worries. They probably got flushed through the filter drain into the sump where they will cause no harm. In order to get pushed into the oil passages they would've had to be on the other side of the filter with the engine running. Whenever you remove the oil filter from the engine the lower part of the chamber is unplugged and all of the oil and any plastic would drain straight into the oil sump.

Last edited:

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
To ease your mind further, if the piece that was flushed into the sump does get drawn into the oil pump, the shattered bits that exit the pump will next travel up into the oil filter, and the filter will do its job and catch them.

Be sure to seat the new filter, and to place the o-rings correctly. If at all in doubt, consult the post linked above.

-dave

There's a screen on the oil pickup. If the pieces fell into the sump the screen will catch them. If the pieces are small enough to get through the screen, then I agree that the gear oil pump will just munch them with no problem FWIW. If the pieces didn't go all the way down into the sump, oil pressure will push them back into the filter chamber to be trapped by the filter.

If it wasn't stressed already, DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE unless the filter cage is complete and the drain to the sump is properly plugged by the plastic holder. Otherwise the oil pressure will be dumped to the sump and the engine will be oil starved.

:2cents: vic

There's a screen on the oil pickup. If the pieces fell into the sump the screen will catch them. If the pieces are small enough to get through the screen, then I agree that the gear oil pump will just munch them with no problem FWIW. If the pieces didn't go all the way down into the sump, oil pressure will push them back into the filter chamber to be trapped by the filter.

If it wasn't stressed already, DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE unless the filter cage is complete and the drain to the sump is properly plugged by the plastic holder. Otherwise the oil pressure will be dumped to the sump and the engine will be oil starved.

:2cents: vic
And how do I check the filter cage is complete. Is this just in the oil filter housing and the oil filter? Will proper seating of oil filter take care of this?

And how do I check the filter cage is complete. Is this just in the oil filter housing and the oil filter? Will proper seating of oil filter take care of this?
The plastic cage needs to be complete enough to assure that the bottom cylinder plug shape and seal fits into the bottom drain as designed. There are some plastic plug pictures in the "Properly Seat" thread you were directed to above.

vic

Top Bottom