Scooter and Carrier/Trailer recommendations

Ramble Camper

2019 Unity TB
We have a 2019 Unity and would like to hear recommendations about the best combinations of scooter/motorcycles and rear racks/trailers, especially from owners who travel with a scooter or motorcycle. Would like a scooter powerful enough for two-up riding (M-6' & F-5'8'' - both medium weight) on longer day trips out from campsite.

C21bill

2018 Unity TB
A bunch of us with various rv's including my Unity travel with scooters sometimes. I personally use a Mototote Carrier for my 250cc vespa. Some in our group use a Versahaul carrier, both single and double and carry Piaggio, 250's 350's and even a 500. The Mototote will carry up to 500#.

Ramble Camper

2019 Unity TB
C21bill -- thanks -- for a Vespa 250 or 300cc, does the Mototote require any additional bracing to compensate for the off-center weight of the scooter?

C21bill

2018 Unity TB
I haven't felt the need for any additional bracing. When I started using my Mototote on the Unity, I found the carrier was too close to the back of the rv due to the recess of the receiver so I ordered the longer main tube. I understand that you can order a carrier from Mototote with the long tube included. I also swapped out the short tie down arm for a 2nd long arm so I have a long tie down arm both front and rear. Makes tie down easier and more secure. I also recently installed the LED lights on mine but haven't used the carrier since installing them. I am able to load and unload single handed. I power the scooter onto the carrier while walking along side. I think you'll find that a 250 has adequate power for 2 up, a 300 or 350 would be even better but the scooter would weigh more.

Last edited:

Ramble Camper

2019 Unity TB
c21bill -- Thanks -- looked at the Mototote site and it does look like an excellent carrier.

Does anyone else travel with a scooter and rear-carrier for two-up riding? Any tips or other considerations?

C21bill

2018 Unity TB
Mototote does offer a Veterans discount on 1st purchase. Email them for a discount code. I believe it is 14% off with free shipping. You could also inquire about swapping their long main tube for the standard one.

jmcarter

I have a VersaHaul to haul my 125 Yamaha Vino but of course that’s much lighter than what you’ll need for comfortable two up riding. Have a Kendon single rail stand up trailer for heavier bikes and prefer it frankly. With the longer tube necessary to allow plenty of space it adds more “bounce” to your load and that’s taking more of your CCC as compared to something like a Kendon. I can easily load the bike and unloaded I can easily move it around and then stand it up in the corner of the garage. Used Kendon single rail trailers (later years have full width ramp) can be picked up for around $1000

C21bill

2018 Unity TB
Kendon's are nice, I've owned both single and dual rail Kendon's. Problem is in many states speed is restricted if towing. CA is 55mph towing.

jmcarter

Speed limit not a big issue for me, the new chassis/seven speed seems to give great economy at 62mph plus don’t think many LEO’s would even notice or care about towing something this small and light. Perhaps CHP is more vigilant on enforcing the 55, I’ll remember that should I venture there again.

C21bill

2018 Unity TB
I've only been hassled at 65ish so hasn't been a problem. We usually travel at 62-63 even when not towing. When we do tow it is a Fiat Abarth and you can hardly tell it's there.

Ramble Camper

2019 Unity TB
Am thinking now that most convenience would be to carry a Vespa 250 or 300 on a Mototote carrier (weights for 250 & 300cc Vespa/Piaggio scooters from about 2004ish - 2014 seem to be listed as 328 lbs dry weight; then in 2015, weight went up to 348 lbs dry weight, so the more recent years or possibly a 350-500cc size maxi-scooter or maybe a 400 or 500 Piaggio MP3 would be great with the Kendon, which I just discovered thanks to your comments. -- Another trailer option (I recently stumbled across) says it lets you back up with the trailer hooked up --- the SwivelWheel --- are you familiar with those units or know anyone that uses them? -- We towed travel trailers (17' & 24') the first several years of camping, and I remember being on perpetual high-scan approaching any turn-in or parking lot, always searching for a straight-ahead exit route. That's the beauty of the Unity is when you want to back up, you just back up. -- Also, does anyone do fairly long two-up day trips on the 250/300cc scooters, or mostly use them for short errands and nearby destinations, eating out, etc?

C21bill

2018 Unity TB
We strictly use ours for sight seeing and day trips. Usually under 100mi round trips. I have no experience with the SwivelWheel. On Vespa, Piaggio, watch the specs on the year/models. Earlier ones were not fuel injected. Mine is an 07 and it is injected. (plenty of power).

C21bill

2018 Unity TB
I have a VersaHaul to haul my 125 Yamaha Vino but of course that’s much lighter than what you’ll need for comfortable two up riding. Have a Kendon single rail stand up trailer for heavier bikes and prefer it frankly. With the longer tube necessary to allow plenty of space it adds more “bounce” to your load and that’s taking more of your CCC as compared to something like a Kendon. I can easily load the bike and unloaded I can easily move it around and then stand it up in the corner of the garage. Used Kendon single rail trailers (later years have full width ramp) can be picked up for around $1000
Long tube isn't a huge deal. It is an extra 11" of which I wound up using 7". Difference in bounce is insignificant.

Vespas are a fine product but there are some downsides. Primarily that they run on tiny wheels - 10” and 12” inch diameter, depending on the model. My wife rode a 150cc ET4 for many years. We never got more than 2,000 miles out of the rear tire. I would suggest looking at the Piaggio scooters as well. Piaggio is the company that makes Vespa, so they are mechanically mostly the same thing. But the Piaggio typically uses 16” wheels which provide a better ride and the tires last many more miles. The other major difference is the Piaggio is a tube steel frame covered by plastic body panels - typical scooter construction. A Vespa uses a sheet steel monocoque construction - very cool, but adds about $1,000 in cost compared to an equivalent Piaggio scoot. Enjoy whatever you acquire, they are all a bunch of fun.

jmcarter

Or Honda PCX150...remember that every pound you put on the hitch uses up CCC, a consideration if you carry a lot or carry tanks close to capacity.

Hexhead

We currently haul a Suzuki 200 on a moto-tote carrier. The bike has a wet weight of around 300 lbs and the carrier weighs 68 lbs. Works well except the Suzuki just doesn't have the power for two riders. We are considering upgrading to a Ducati Scrambler Icon. At 410 lbs (and the carrier weight) we would be very close to 500 tongue weight capacity of the hitch. Not sure though since I am a bit nervous about hanging the extra weight on the back of our Unity. Has anyone have experience with heavier bikes?

Nighthawk52

Every one in the hitch and carrier business warns about extending the receiver. They all claim that any extension at all reduces allowable tongue weight by fifty percent. Since our unity’s require an extension, this means you are limited to 250 lbs tongue weight. I have struggled with this because I really want a capable scooter. Have any of you with a 250 plus cc scooter had problems?

MacDougal

2018 Unity MB
We have a Komo box on the rear hitch. Carries our two electric bikes, chairs etc in a locked box, better protected from the elements and theft (hopefully). Keep it just far enough back from the rear mask, so any motion will not make it touch the rv. Works very well, but it looks big. Adds another three feet or so to the length of the rig.

C21bill

2018 Unity TB
Every one in the hitch and carrier business warns about extending the receiver. They all claim that any extension at all reduces allowable tongue weight by fifty percent. Since our unity’s require an extension, this means you are limited to 250 lbs tongue weight. I have struggled with this because I really want a capable scooter. Have any of you with a 250 plus cc scooter had problems?
For someone in the hitch/carrier business to make a blanket claim that extending the receiver decreases allowable tongue weight by 50% is just hype. Extension of the carrier tube is a calculation of the leverage effect of the extension. In the case of the MotoTote carrier extension, the longer tube is 11" longer. I used 7" of the available extra 11". I carry a 250 Vespa and have no issues. (BTW, the carrier tube is extended, not the receiver). I suggest you contact Mototote who has engineers on staff and ask them about the limitations of using their extended main tube.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
We currently haul a Suzuki 200 on a moto-tote carrier. The bike has a wet weight of around 300 lbs and the carrier weighs 68 lbs. Works well except the Suzuki just doesn't have the power for two riders. We are considering upgrading to a Ducati Scrambler Icon. At 410 lbs (and the carrier weight) we would be very close to 500 tongue weight capacity of the hitch. Not sure though since I am a bit nervous about hanging the extra weight on the back of our Unity. Has anyone have experience with heavier bikes?
Beware that rated tongue weight applies to ball placed few inches behind receiver.
Any extension and you will need 1 -should derate the weight by 10-20% for each extended foot.
Sprinters show pretty weak rear frames, so don't suggest abusing the ratings.
I am considering front hitch for generator and bikes carrying, but seems nobody did it so far.

Top Bottom