Best place(s) to buy filters?

Kat

Katmobile
It's time to replace my fuel filter so I called O'Reilly's and they wanted over $50 for a fuel filter. Then I called NAPA and they said they had one for $45.49. But I was close to the MB dealer so I went into the parts dept and asked how much they wanted. The guy at the parts counter was extremely slow. He looked in his computer, then went into the stock room and didn't emerge until about 15 minutes later, and then he asked me if I wanted the one with the heater or not. I wasn't aware that there even was one with a heater, so I said no heater. Then he went back into the stock room and after several minutes he emerged again and said the price was over $200! I laughed and told him to put it back and that I would drive 2 blocks to the NAPA store to buy it for $45.49.

So I'm just curious where ya'll buy your filters. Are off brands from NAPA or O'Reilly okay, or is there a better place to buy them?

Thanks!
Kat

MT170

2018 2500 LWB 4x4
I recently purchased all I need to complete the fuel filter change. I got mine from the dealer. The cost was more than Napa or others but I know it is the correct filter, hose lamps and turbo inlet seal. It was all referenced to my VIN before purchase.

kcshoots

VanTripping.com
I have had good experiences in purchasing filters from Amazon, Sprinter Parts, Europarts-SD and IDParts.

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat

MT170

2018 2500 LWB 4x4
I also have good experiences with Sprinter Parts depot but I have only bought the oil change kit (absolutely everything was included), air filter and cabin air filter.

dbuzz77

Dbuzz77
I have no problem buying filters that are good quality somewhere else but be careful , for the fuel filter i bought the same one as my jeep (OM642) listed for my sprinter but it was not the same. take a picture of yours before you buy, mine was much different.

radair603

I went to NAPA for a fuel filter and they asked if I wanted one with a sensor or not. I said never mind, I'll have the dealer do it. I heard there's a c-clip you must not drop and I would drop it. Highway robbery but it was no stress on me.

lindenengineering

Just a comment.
The clip you refer to is available through MB as a stopper plug.
We keep them in stock as a consumable using the clip when needed following a filter replacement.
At about $2,30 each they are good insurance for DIY & Pro shop alike.

On the whole I might add Sprinter parts are cheap .
Try Audi or Landrover /Jag sometime!!
Dennis

Mike DZ

2016 View 24V (2015 3500)
Diesel filters online - Their application charts are not the best, but if you know what part number is of the filter is that you are looking for, their prices are second to none.

Jbernielh

friend of mine just picked up a 2015 RV..

said I'd give him a hand to do filters and oil change.. told him to go to the local MB dealer and pickup everything up there.. warned him beforehand about potential issues with aftermarket filters..

the unit turned out to be the poster child for what can go wrong with aftermarket filters.. I think he was skeptical before we started..

he sure isn't now

Bernie

Kat

Katmobile
I went to NAPA for a fuel filter and they asked if I wanted one with a sensor or not. I said never mind, I'll have the dealer do it. I heard there's a c-clip you must not drop and I would drop it. Highway robbery but it was no stress on me.
Mine has a sensor that fits down in the center of the filter, but it's no big deal to pop it out and put it back into a new filter. I'm not aware of a c-clip that could be dropped, but it's been a while since I last changed the filter. But there is some kind of a clip on top of the filter that I promptly broke the first time I changed the filter years ago. Instead of buying a new flimsy part that I'd just break again, I used stainless steel wire to wire the damned thing back on. It has held wonderfully so I see no need to go buy another cheap plastic part that I will surely break as soon as I touch it.

... Instead of buying a new flimsy part that I'd just break again, I used stainless steel wire to wire the damned thing back on. It has held wonderfully so I see no need to go buy another cheap plastic part that I will surely break as soon as I touch it.
:thumbup:

Plastic clips are for convenience of assembly and manufacturer cost savings, not for better service for the owner. If the wire is working stick with it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Manufacturer cost savings does help the customer by keeping the original purchase price lower. That doesn't mean it is always best to replace plastic clips with the OEM method. Sometimes the design offers no other reasonable choice though.

:cheers: vic

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat

Top Bottom