2019 2WD reverse scrapping/ grinding sound

mike183

Hey guys, sorry if this is posted in the wrong thread. I am two days into owning my used 2019 2wd 144 and I noticed that when I was reversing tonight that a horrible grinding sound was coming from the motor area. Its almost like the front bumper was dragging and the breaks were on. I read through the owners manual to see if it was some kind of safety feature but cant find a thing. Anyone experience this before? It does not sound normal

My van did this when it was new backing out of parking spaces. Turn the wheel and you would hear like a plastic fender rubbing on the tire. stopped after awhile. There is a open recall for improperly installed brake lines that rub. I am going to the dealer next week.

mike183

any update on this? I noticed something similar.
Yes, a little embarrassing but I think its the damn back up sensor triggering due to my bike rack on the back. I need to figure out how to turn all these stupid sensors off. The down fall of technology haha

Eric B

Hi @mike183

I noticed that when reversing in to a parking spot on a busy street, the parking sensors / crash avoidance radars will FREAK out if they sense a car is coming ... Best I can figure it throws it in neutral with that heart stopping grinding noise... It's happened to me 3x in 9months of ownership - hasn't happened in a while, then again I now wait for all traffic to clear before I start backing up... maybe you're experiencing the same thing ?

Roamers

2020 4X4 170 Crew
Day 1 I learned I can't park where I used to with the new 170. Ass end was unknowing already in the road as I was backing up and cross traffic sensor initiated all kinds of things that led us to believe we actually hit something; don't recall everything, but pretty sure it was brakes and some other pretty nasty grinding sounding thing.

65C02

If its the bike rack, one way some of those sensors can be disabled is by plugging something into the trailer light socket. I'm not sure if it physically senses the plug - or it senses the load from the lights. Found out by backing up my trailer without first plugging it in - causes all sorts of issues.

Last edited:

mike183

If its the bike rack, one way some of those sensors can be disabled is by plugging something into the trailer light socket. I'm not sure if it physically senses the plug - or it senses the load from the lights. Found out by backing up my trailer without first plugging it in - causes all sorts of issues.
great tip! I think there is a way to turn this sensor off but I need to figure it out. The first time it happened it freaked me out. It sounds like the van jams itself into park while Im moving.

Top Bottom