Oil catch can ....for what it’s worth..... and why I did.

FullyTorqued

That video reminds me of what I found in my 2004 VW TDI with the PD 2.0 when I took off the intake manifold for cleaning at 150k. Does anybody have an OM642 with over 150k that can pull the manifold and show us what it looks like? I wonder if the 229.52 spec oil cuts down on this type of sludge. Maybe Dennis @lindenengineering has some photo evidence?

• Thanks
Reactions: mve

Chaski

I have a catch can on my daily driver (gasoline direct injection with a turbo). It is plumbed in series with the PCV system and I drain it every oil change. Figure it is better to be draining an ounce or two out of it than baking oil mist onto my intake valves and ports. The last turbo diesel I had did not have a PCV system it just slobbered it out to atmosphere, so no need for a catch can on that.

There has to be someone on the forum that wrenches on some higher mileage fleet vans. I'd love to see what the intake side of the head looks like after 100,000+ miles.

lndscpe

Well its been a bit since i posted on this topic but I wanted to share with you how much oil collected in my catch can over the last 7500 miles (van now has 8800 miles on it) of which i stupidly didnt drain sooner .... DOH! anyways, today installed a FUMOTO drain cock with a hose to make it easy for me to not overlook this simple service :) Anyways, inside the catch can was easily over a cup of oil liquid! I was shocked at the amount of residue inside the can at this stage of 90 percent all highway miles! Heres some pictures of the inside of the catch can, which are a bit hard to discern but you should be able to get the idea of what is entering into the intake side of the engine if I didnt have a catch can .... yuck. I cleaned the screen and installed it back in place. This is why i run a catch can :)

Attachments

Glenn233

Well its been a bit since i posted on this topic but I wanted to share with you how much oil collected in my catch can over the last 7500 miles (van now has 8800 miles on it) of which i stupidly didnt drain sooner .... DOH! anyways, today installed a FUMOTO drain cock with a hose to make it easy for me to not overlook this simple service :) Anyways, inside the catch can was easily over a cup of oil liquid! I was shocked at the amount of residue inside the can at this stage of 90 percent all highway miles! Heres some pictures of the inside of the catch can, which are a bit hard to discern but you should be able to get the idea of what is entering into the intake side of the engine if I didnt have a catch can .... yuck. I cleaned the screen and installed it back in place. This is why i run a catch can :)
Is this the catch can from Australia?

lndscpe

I have one in trhe box. How hard was it to install? did you need any extra peices?
Hi Glenn233. If its the same one as mentioned earlier in this post you will only need some tubing, I used copper tubing, to fit inside the supplied rubber hose and a few extra hose clamps and thats it, I cut the hoses to fit the way I wanted, installed the cut hose using copper tubing at the hose junctions then just installed appropriate sized hose clamps to secure the hose junctions. really Not bad at all.

Friendly Tex

Hi Glenn233. If its the same one as mentioned earlier in this post you will only need some tubing, I used copper tubing, to fit inside the supplied rubber hose and a few extra hose clamps and thats it, I cut the hoses to fit the way I wanted, installed the cut hose using copper tubing at the hose junctions then just installed appropriate sized hose clamps to secure the hose junctions. really Not bad at all.
What is the ID OF THE PVC HOSE that you joined into? Asked another way what size OD copper pipe did you use to splice. I'm trying to get materials togheter before I cut that PVC hose. Installing a Mann catch can with 1"ID hoses.

patchesj

FWIW, I have a BMW M6 that is prone to oil vapor blow-by so lots of talk over there about catch cans. These Mishimoto's are very popular for DIY install. And I also see that FCP has a "kit" for MBs (AMG gas engines...). You can get the Mishi in black, and I'm guessing that 99% of the people that look under your hood will never know it wasn't factory installed if done correctly.

AR74

Anyone know if unplugging the heating element on the breather hose will cause a CEL ?

AR74

How are you guys tapping into the PCV for rerouting , with it being an oval shape opening ? Are you cutting the breather tube and adding a barbed fitting ? Pics would be nice .

AR74

Yes there is a drain plug located at the bottom. my Plan is to add a hose from the plug that will exit to the bottom of the frame rail with a valve. Then when I change engine oil I will empty the catch can at that same time. The link I posted has the hoses and brackets that come with the catch can that will work for the Sprinter With minor modifications. You just have to cut the hoses to get the bends where you need them to go so the hose will follow contours and look kinda like a factory installation. ?
Did you incorporate the heating element into your routing of the hose ? If so , how ? Any pics ? Thanks

hdaniels

Hi Indscpe, can you tell me the part# FUMOTO drain cock you installed on your Catch can. I did the same install, thanks for the posting!

Last edited:

hdaniels

Did the catch can install, pretty straight forward. It took me about three hours to do. The factory breather hose has a coupling in the middle so I pulled apart the hose at the coupling and rerouted the hose to the catch can and back to the turbo. I used the kit mentioned above. I only needed two additional items, a 1/2"copper coupling and one more hose clamp. The breather hose that comes with the kit has pre-bent curves, if you take a few minutes to look at the routing, you can get it to flow nicely to and from the catch can. I cut down the catch can bracket which normally extends past the bottom of the catch can, I cut it to the same length of the catch can, drilled two holes in an existing bracket in the engine compartment and bolted the catch can holder to that bracket then installed the catch can.

Attachments

Last edited:

hdaniels

Wanted to give an update on the catch can after several hundred miles, do not use the copper coupling I used above, instead get a 3/4" plastic or metal coupling that is barbed. I would amend my previous post but the edit button must go away after so many hours. Fifty miles into my road trip, I had a loss of power and the PPV hose popped off the copper coupling. Not enough material to hold the hose on under pressure. Stopped at Home Depot and purchased a 3/4" plastic barb coupling. Replaced the copper coupling, so far no more issues.

OffroadHamster

I have yet to see any evidence that removing oil from the intake system makes any meaningful difference. It never has on any previous FI car, just makes people feel good that they think they're catching stuff. Oil analysis never changes, O2 or MAF longevity never changes, AFR/timing/fuel duty never changed. I'm open to the idea that EGR cleanliness might be impacted, but it would have to completely solve the problem for me to commit to something like this. What I have seen is various systems plugging, causing a buildup of crankcase pressures and blowing out crank or cam seals.

If someone needed an EGR cleaning in XX amount of miles, installs a catch can, and at that same mileage pulls EGR and shows it's squeaky clean - I'm all in on it. Until then.......
A catch can will make a measurable difference on an intercooled turbo engine. First: oil coating the intercooler reduces its heat transfer causing higher IAT's which reduce power. Second: While not as discrete a concern as in a gas engine where octane is of paramount importance, oil lowers octane, impairs cylinder cooling and causes coking. All bad things. Too much oil in there and a modern turbo (gas) engine starts to knock. TIming is pulled, boost is pulled, power is lost.

I run a dual can setup on my Subaru. However It runs 23psi, a lot of timing, and has a forged bottom end with a fair amount of blowby from the prodigious boost. I collect a lot of oil in those cans.

I have considered a can for the sprinter, however with smog every 2 years on a diesel in CA, it would have to be discrete. Because even though it is not passing anything to atmosphere, it is a deviation from the indicated emission system hose routing and will fail visual. I already strip down one of my cars every two years for smog and have the Subie registered in a different county. No desire to have another vehicle I have to convert back and forth.

A little extra oil and lubricity in a compression ignition engine isnt going to hurt....much....

Top Bottom