P1470-000, loss of power

BenK.

I was stuck in traffic on a hot day in a 2003 Freightliner 2500, w/ 2.7 engine, and about 85,000 miles. Coolant temperature a little elevated, but a long way from red zone. Shortly after traffic started going again, my van lost power, but no check engine light came on. When I could pull off, I found that I had code P1470-000. I cleared the code, power was then restored. Is it normal, to lose power and have a code in memory without a check engine light on? My check engine light works. It let me know when I needed a MAF sensor a couple weeks ago. And because I had to replace, the MAF sensor a couple weeks ago, I know that code P1470-000 was not in at that time. I was about to go on a long trip. Should I be concerned that this will return? From all of your experience, what is the most common cause of code P1470-000? The MAP sensor? I have only owned this van a couple months, so this is new to me.

BenK.

I had looked for tears in the hoses, since that seems be mentioned frequently in these posts. The hoses look fine, (on both sides of the intercooler). The only leak that I can see, (and slight at that), is the hose junction at the front of the EGR valve. There is no blowing there that I can feel, but lube oil drips out at that junction, and the oil gets whipped around by the air currents there, to end up on the EGR valve and intake manifold. I have an O-ring on order for that, though the O-ring looked fine when I inspected it. I removed and cleaned the EGR valve a couple weeks ago, so I feel good about that part now, (it had gotten pretty filthy with previous owner(s). Since I am hoping to take an extended trip, I am hoping to nip this in the bud before departure with whatever would be most likely to cause this.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Speaking from my own leaking-resonator experience: Yes, it can go into no-turbo mode without turning on the MIL light.
In my case, it would only do it when i exceeded 27 psi MAP ... if i kept it below that, it would happily turbo.
Once exceeded, it wouldn't even try to use the turbo until i turned the engine off and then restarted.

Only about once per 3 lose-turbo hiccups would get the light on ... the crack gradually grew and the ratio of "lights on" increased.
Your 2003 doesn't have a resonator, but hose leaks can be anywhere, and appear very minor ... until they're pressurized by the turbo. They only have to be "large enough" for the ECM to notice it's not getting the boost it asked for.

"Fine mist" Oil spray is a definite symptom ... it's how i located mine. (spray pattern on adjacent parts)

--dick

B

billintomahawk

My '02 leaked at the EGR o-ring and I got sick of it so I put a paper towel diaper on it (After replacing 3 O-rings that leaked.).

I took my hoses off and degreased them and the hose clamps carefully. The hose clamps were very dirty. I wanted then to draw around evenly and tight.

I give them a half turn every so often when I change the diaper.

bill in tomahawk

Last edited by a moderator:

BenK.

Thank you gents, for taking the time to write of your experience. Based on your input, I think I'll replace the hoses, "just in case", prior to my trip. And looking a a couple parts places on the net, I see that there is more than one possible hose for the one going from the intercooler to the EGR valve. O'Reilly's says one has federal emissions, (the other I assume does not), but both would fit, (even though one is shown with a different inside diameter than the other). And IDparts shows one for California emissions, the other not, I assume. In their descriptions, both are implied to fit a 2003 sprinter. And Amazon has a number of hoses, one claiming to last longer than others. Do any of you know which hose is appropriate? And which manufacturer makes hoses that last? Thanks.

Top Bottom