Longer wheel base Transit

Geriakt

2017 View 24J
Does anyone have info if Ford will make a longer wheel base Transit to compete with a 3500 Sprinter 170XL?

T town

Go ask on the Transit forum. There is a guy there who is well connected. He works for Matt Ford.
He will probably tell you no.
there are advantages to a 148 wheelbase on an extended. Better turning radius. You can back the end over a curb and grass and fit in a regular parking spot. Break over is improved at the expense of hanging up the rear on a steep transition. You can always airbag it to help this.
Looks bad with that big back end but the Transit loses to the Sprinter in every looks department in my opinion.

Geriakt

2017 View 24J
Go ask on the Transit forum. There is a guy there who is well connected. He works for Matt Ford.
He will probably tell you no.
there are advantages to a 148 wheelbase on an extended. Better turning radius. You can back the end over a curb and grass and fit in a regular parking spot. Break over is improved at the expense of hanging up the rear on a steep transition. You can always airbag it to help this.
Looks bad with that big back end but the Transit loses to the Sprinter in every looks department in my opinion.
I will look into the other TRANSIT forum. The reason for my question I am wanting the room of the Sprinter 170XL. The Transit 148XL has about the same cargo area of the Sprinter 170, but has a higher head room and less drawn in sides at the roof line for a RV build out. Transit does make a 172 wheel base for class C RV build outs.

HarryN

Perhaps it was you who asked on the Transit forum, and I double checked - the answer is that the 144 WB appears to be their longest "full van" offering.

Similar to you, I really wish that the Transit had a longer WB - at least promaster 159 ish type numbers for the ride in back.

I suspect that the real issue is not a technical one, but a DOT GVWR problem related to the 10 000 lb limit vs 15 000 lb limit.

The DOT limits are based on old fashion traditional concepts of passenger car vs commercial use vehicles.

The vehicles that you and I want to purchase fall into this no man's land of "looks like a long, tall, wide van on the outside" but "extended weekend fun vehicle inside".

I haven't seen any RVs built on those heavier van frames that "look" like a van vs an "RV".

Perhaps we need to petition our congressional representatives and the DOT to open up these weight limits to 15 000 lbs so that we can buy the vehicles that we would like.

Top Bottom