Rumble Strip and Torque Converter concerns

Vonvendetta

Good morning Board,

I recently (4 months ago) replaced the trans fluid and filter on my '08. I also drained the torque converter fluid. It was shifting really hard before, to the point it sounded like someone was hitting the van with a hammer. After the fluid change it completely went away but now I have the Rumble Strip vibs with the 200rpm variance and a torque converter overheating fault code.

I used Shell ATF 134 fluid. I was going to go the route of changing out the torque converter but now I'd like your suggestions. Do you find that taking apart the board, plugs etc behind the drain pan a good idea?

I don't want to spend 10 hours and $500 replacing the torque converter only to find that it wasn't it or it being a temporary fix.

220817a

Independent & Self Reliant - From Chattanooga TN
Good morning Board,

I recently (4 months ago) replaced the trans fluid and filter on my '08. I also drained the torque converter fluid. It was shifting really hard before, to the point it sounded like someone was hitting the van with a hammer. After the fluid change it completely went away but now I have the Rumble Strip vibs with the 200rpm variance and a torque converter overheating fault code.

I used Shell ATF 134 fluid. I was going to go the route of changing out the torque converter but now I'd like your suggestions. Do you find that taking apart the board, plugs etc behind the drain pan a good idea?

I don't want to spend 10 hours and $500 replacing the torque converter only to find that it wasn't it or it being a temporary fix.
200 rpm variance higher that it used to be?

220817a

Independent & Self Reliant - From Chattanooga TN
Bad torque converter. I had a 2008 Dodge Sprinter that was doing something similar to that and had ro replace the torque converter.

scottyv72

just wondering if anyone knows anywhere other than the dealership to buy a new torque converter? i have a 2010 3500

Top Bottom