Van randomly not starting due to low battery charge?

Hey guys,

I've had an ongoing issue of my van randomly not starting because my battery is getting below the required charge to start. I ended up getting the battery replaced under warranty and had no issues for a couple months, but now it's happening again. It just takes a simple jump, and is usually good to go for days, but then will randomly not start again. Very inconvenient. I feel like it wouldn't be the alternator, because the van never dies on me once it's jumped and I'm driving it. I've drove it up to 4 hours and it's never died in route. I'm quite confused on what the issue would be. Any ideas?

Thank you very much,
Jordan

2006 Freightliner Sprinter 2500

Does your system voltage go to 13.5 - 14.2 volts with engine running? If yes, you likely have a parasitic load of some sort draining the battery.

Has the T21 recall been performed? Do you notice the dash inset lights not cycling off? If yes, it could be related to the T21 recall. That said, it is not a common problems for the 2006 MY.

A light left on or added aftermarket devices would be my first checks. Do you leave a USB charger plugged in? Even when in idle mode some of those draw a bit more current than many think. Was a dash cam added?

vic

jrod5150

As the post before mine, sounds like you have some sort of parasitic draw. Start unplugging things that you’ve added since this started

Does your system voltage go to 13.5 - 14.2 volts with engine running? If yes, you likely have a parasitic load of some sort draining the battery.

Has the T21 recall been performed? Do you notice the dash inset lights not cycling off? If yes, it could be related to the T21 recall. That said, it is not a common problems for the 2006 MY.

A light left on or added aftermarket devices would be my first checks. Do you leave a USB charger plugged in? Even when in idle mode some of those draw a bit more current than many think. Was a dash cam added?

vic
Thanks Aqua,

I'm not sure about the system voltage. I'll have to look up how to check that. What volts should it be at while running?

I'll check and make sure the light by the back door is not on. There are two lights in the middle of the cargo space that don't seem to be connected? Perhaps they could be pulling some power.

The owner before me did install a CD player and it looks like they took some speakers out as well before selling it to me. I've noticed a blue cord that runs to the back that is cut off, and it reminds me of a speaker wire! Maybe I should try removing that?

I don't leave a USB charger plugged in. And I'm yet to install my dash cam!

Thanks so much for the ideas.

Jordan

And sorry, no, I don't believe the T21 has been performed. Not familiar with that! :O

I don't notice the dash inset lights cycling off, but I'll make sure to keep a close eye on it!

Top Bottom