Need Help | Aux Light Ring and Relay Connection Points

paintrain

Peeps -

My setup and connection intent:
  • Rig: 2019 144WB 4x4 - v6 Diesel
  • Lights: Rigid DS-SS-Pro Flood
  • Wiring Harness: Stock from Rigid - two ring terminals, inline 15amp fuse, relay, two deutch connectors
  • Light Mounts: Vancompass hoodline mounts
  • Battery Connection: Cranking battery
  • Switch: Rocker switch (16amp from Homedepot) installed in OEM blank spots by steering column.
Questions:

I need help understanding how/where best (with my moderate build skillz) to connect the ring terminals as well as the relay. I understand the 2019 battery and terminal block, to live next to, and under the driver's seat respectively.

If connecting to cranking battery's main terminals, I'll assume that's pretty straight forward. Connecting to the terminal block underseat, removing seat, identifying which terminals to connect to etc, make me antsy.

In either case can I assume I'll need to fish wires under the floor mats in wiring channel I've seen in other build threads?

Thanks so much in advance! Happy Dad's day.

Eric B

_ I don't have House batteries, only the stock starter battery
_ I attached a BlueSea ST block to my battery

_Wires come out of battery box and behind lower dash next to where battery quick disconnect is
_Wires route up firewall, following existing wiring run, around steering column, and back down
_Wires go through firewall just above and to the left of the steering column where there is a "0" shaped rubber grommet perfect for this
(from the driver side footwell there is a small piece of firewall insulation to pull back to reveal this rubber grommet)
_I mounted relays on driver side inner fender under the hood
_Baja lights are mounted to the VC floating grill bracket, and wiring is zip tied along existing wire harness path behind driver side headlight

Use the MB battery quick disconnect before you do anything
If you just drove the van, wait 15min before disconnecting battery for all emissions related whiz bang sounds under the hood to finish
If you are going to be moving your seat, definitely disconnect battery first
don't reconnect battery with seat disconnected as you will most likely trigger an airbag warning check light which will require a trip to the dealer to get cleared...

You'll manage - it's not hard

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Under the driver's seat, you'll find these: (center of van, rear corner of seat, under a plastic flip-cover)

3 posts tapping point.JPG

Do NOT use the "D+" feed ... that's for isolation relays and similar.

Choose if you want the lamps to turn off when you turn off the key, and connect their feed to the proper post.
The fuses are already in place in your fuse panel, listed in the Fuse Allocation book as "Terminal Strip for Electrical Connection (Body Manufacturer)" (Block F55/1 fuse 4 for the "always on", block F55/3 fuse 24 for the ignition-switched)

Run the lamp's negative wire to one of the grounding studs, or pin it down with any suitable hold-down screw (and a bit of paint-scraping to give good contact). You could do that near the lamps instead of bringing the wire all the way back here.

--dick

filmcan99

Under the driver's seat, you'll find these: (center of van, rear corner of seat, under a plastic flip-cover)

View attachment 144773

Do NOT use the "D+" feed ... that's for isolation relays and similar.

Choose if you want the lamps to turn off when you turn off the key, and connect their feed to the proper post.
The fuses are already in place in your fuse panel, listed in the Fuse Allocation book as "Terminal Strip for Electrical Connection (Body Manufacturer)" (Block F55/1 fuse 4 for the "always on", block F55/3 fuse 24 for the ignition-switched)

Run the lamp's negative wire to one of the grounding studs, or pin it down with any suitable hold-down screw (and a bit of paint-scraping to give good contact). You could do that near the lamps instead of bringing the wire all the way back here.

--dick
Is that a photo of a VS30 (2019 or later model)?? just curious 'cause your signature says you have an older Freightliner.

Top Bottom